6th 2021 F3-RES F5-RES combined 14 day Duration Challenge

martynk

AnthonyB

(Mostly) I totally agree with both of you, maybe not so much in the detail.

If you buy a F3RES kit and build it with a motor, then yes, the F5 will be heavier.

If you build one as an e-launch, then it is not subject to the bungee launch and the wings need not be as strong / heavy.

To this end I built a 400g (410g with height switch) “light weather glider.”

This has everything as small and as light as possible.

As I am in the north west, where it is more windy, I prefer a 600+g model.

Hence I built another that is a lot stronger and (I think) more suited to moving faster. As I was not bothered about gaining weight, it can have my favourite 2216-1100kv motor for 3S.

TheMotor.thumb.png.fbc1df656c1522b03f5dc24890804b4c.png

This is “happy” at 22A and 10.8v (240W). I say “happy” because it is well below the manufacturers max and is still 80% efficient.

On a 9 x 5 (18A) it does not run out of pitch speed at 30+mph. It will also climb at 8.4m/sec (18mph straight up).

So I believe in a light floaty model for still days and a heavier faster model for more breeze.

Yep – zip round looking for lift or getting well up wind – I agree.

I cannot help myself – I test and double test everything.

FastClimb.thumb.jpg.73a2c092c732abab34072744e29cc55f.jpg

AnthonyB

Every day the wind comes up at 10:00, so it is necessary to fly this light model just before 10:00. When there is not much lift.

So here is my entry – I make it 10:00 dead

Postal.thumb.jpg.b30cccf514acb088fe12fed5b62e7274.jpg

I have split the graph to make reading time easier.

OK it is well below the good guys …....... I am not yet tuned into these ultra-lights !

My normal experience is doing 10mins from 175 - 200m ......... So happy with this.

July8.thumb.jpg.4af2db33d17bdb194e633f7809e1a543.jpg

• Like 1

martynk

Thanks Anthony 

I'll update the table later 

StraightEdge

Incredible and superb David - what a terrific achievement!!

• Thanks 1

Graham Lorimer

Top effort, very well done, probably an unbeatable time by the rest of us, ever.

Graham,

• Thanks 1

Brian Taylor

Incredible flight, well done!  Superb flying and quite a feat of physical endurance as well, not sure my neck and back would pass the hour mark. No matter the eyes would have gone blurry before then as well as suffering the inevitable phase shift between brain and hands.

Brian

• Thanks 1

martynk

Incredible flight. 

Well done David.   That will take some beating.. 

• Thanks 1

Graham Lorimer

Another day at Fish Meadow, trying to improve my flight time in the current round, and high hopes of knocking Mike F out of second spot. No illusions though of exceeding the top spot with a flight in excess of 2 hours, I lack the eyesight, patience and flying ability to do that sort of time.

Purito was pressed into service today, very variable wind direction, no real need to go far upwind looking for lift, that could easily turn into the downwind direction with thermals sending the very light winds in all directions. Numerous flights in the morning, with a best slightly over 23 minutes, an improvement in my current score but not good enough to move up the table.

Slight change of the C of G for the afternoon, one great launch into strong lift only netted an 8 minute flight, the sink was just as strong.

Finally an interesting flight, launch into very average air, down as low as 20 meters and 9 minutes spent trying to rescue the flight, until finally some decent lift. Stooging around between 20 and 30 meters defiantly ensures smooth flying if you don't want to land, and smooth flight is not one of my strong points.

The sky was not very clear when  the model was in the blue parts and with very little cloud around, the model was very hard to keep track of over 500 meters, with fellow flier Justin Mellor being called on a couple of times for model spotting duties. I tried holding a steady altitude with spoilers partially or even fully deployed, the model became very difficult to fly at a slowly decreasing altitude, so it was down elevator and get better visibility. Twice I spent over two minutes with full spoilers deployed, and was fearful of losing the model on several occasions. The flight graph shows the rapid descents needed to keep track of the model, scary stuff.

All done and finally I managed to get over the preset target time, very pleased, and very happy to get the model down into the field.

Purito

July404671701_RES19June.thumb.png.bcf1e52100a6f06ca78f742372501c66.png 19th at Fish Meadow

Time; 28 minutes 55 seconds

Graham Lorimer

• Like 4

martynk

Apologies that this is a day late...

David, CirrusRC comprehensively won this event. I am still more than a little gobsmacked by the magnitude of this score.   Well done David...

I'll open the 7th postal in a few moments and post the league table

Thanks for taking part.