Pull Wire/Line

GrahamT

I know I can use the thin multi-strand steel wire (Beadalon?) in a pull/spring tail setup, but I understand some of you guys use non-metal line.  I've tried Googling for the answer, but almost all answers are from America and the names of the line used don't match anything in the UK.  What do you use that's available in the UK?  I don't want to waste money buying something that stretches or snaps too easily.

This is what I have been using for years. It’s great. This is 38daN. You could go lighter, but this works. It’s kite line, I believe, but not sure where to get it from now. 

D4176716-45F0-4666-98C2-48F00885D760.thumb.jpeg.241053b81dd72a014b8d319bb69bfd48.jpeg

I use 25dan climax protec,  expensive but lasts ages.  Similar to this

https://www.metropolis-drachen.de/en/Accessories/Kite-lines/2-line-sets/Climax-Protec-set-2-x-30m.html

Climax Profiline The ultimate competition leash for professionals
Properties :
finest braiding, extremely thin and smooth, impregnated and polished

Climax Protec The LONG-LIFE LEASH
.. State-of-the-art technology
Attention: Now also made with the new stretching process!
Properties:
5 x higher abrasion resistance than Spectra thanks to CSP technology, fiber protection finishing (climax PROTEC process), excellent aerodynamics, pre-stretched

So you guys are trying to get me to Google search "climax".  Seriously?  🤣
I hadn't considered kite line.  They also need non-stretch line for accurate control, so I'm not surprised that it makes for good control pull line.  Looks like I'm going to have to search for Climax.  Must remember to delete my search history afterwards 🤫
Thanks for your help.  I'm hoping to have a go at one of your F3K comps before too long, but I'm working on 25th July, so can't make that one.

25 minutes ago, Jef Ott said:

How much do you need Graham?

I can send you a metre of Kevlar thread FOC if you PM me your address.

Jef.

Thanks for the offer Jef.  I've just this minute finished ordering some line from Kiteworld.co.uk.  I've ordered some 25kg Climax Powerline Extreme and also some 50kg Climax Protec.  The 50kg might be a bit thick, but I'll see how it goes. 

• Like 1

On 16/07/2021 at 18:07, Neil Harrison said:

50kg 😮 wow man, what servos you using?

lol, I know.  I can't find any diameter info anywhere, so bought some to find out.  Do you guys think the 25kg line will last and be reliable?  There isn't much of a choice of line strength available.

25 kg protec been in my dlg over 5 years, zero issues.  It's very abrasion resistant.  You will need to cut the line with a very sharp blade to get a clean cut.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikevE said:

What's the bonus of using kevlar vs wire? Weight?

Less stretch and thermal expansion/contraction, I think. Also, I don’t like the sound taut wire pull cables make. Kevlar is silent. Personal preference, really. 

• Like 1