Surviving Lundy ... (suggestions for an extension)

chiloschista

chiloschista

Hello,

after Lundy week I would like to spend some more time in the UK. If there will be any survived glider, I would like to fly, otherwise it will just be taking pictures and filming.

A dream would be go again to Rhossili for a few days, but I have seen that the lodgments are already all booked and I guess it will be hard to find any B&B.

I would like to visit few other slopes, like the Skirrid, Bwlch or any other good slope.

So I'm kindly asking here for slopes, most important where to stay (B&B, bungalow, hotel, ...) and eventually good company.

Coming with the caravan is not an option. I should leave it somewhere for a week during the stay on Lundy, beside all the fees.

Thanks for any input!

Ric

Phil.Taylor

Definitely Rhosilli & the Bwlch

For Rhosilli - its a holiday area so there will be places to stay but might be booked up - should be able to find something available over towards Swansea

For the Bwlch - theres a Premier Inn and a Days Inn just off the M4 at Bridgend - or a couple of dodgy/odd/wierd/cheapish places us F3F folks stay at - Tremains guest house & the New Inn (which is not a pub)

Phil.

• Like 1

chiloschista

Hi Phil and Les,

thank you very much for your advices, I will definitely look into those.

By the way I have seen on Slope Hunter that there are plenty of slopes around Ilfracombe too: how great are they?

Wondering if it makes sense to stay there few days too.

53 minutes ago, chiloschista said:

Hi Phil and Les,

thank you very much for your advices, I will definitely look into those.

By the way I have seen on Slope Hunter that there are plenty of slopes around Ilfracombe too: how great are they?

Wondering if it makes sense to stay there few days too.

I wouldn't know about the slopes around Ilfracombe never flown that part of the UK 

• 1 month later...
chiloschista

Ok, I booked a week (12-19 September) at Mair's B&B. It is between Rhossili and Bwlch and not far away from The Skirrid.

Just hope there will be some gliders surviving Lundy 😅

Ric

• Like 2

The 17th 18th and 19th is the Welsh Open F3F competition on the Bwlch.

Andy B and a few others will be in the same B&B for that weekend and they go to a very nice Italian restaurant on the Saturday evening,I'm sure they would be happy for you to join them.

See you if a few weeks

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Les said:

Andy B and a few others will be in the same B&B for that weekend and they go to a very nice Italian restaurant on the Saturday evening,I'm sure they would be happy for you to join them.

See you if a few weeks

There are still 5 places left for the Welsh Open, so you could enter if you’d like!

• Like 1

chiloschista
1 hour ago, Les said:

See you if a few weeks

Oh no, fortunately I still did not book the return ferry 😅

Mhmm, Italian restaurant, that's interesting ...

chiloschista
42 minutes ago, oipigface said:

There are still 5 places left for the Welsh Open, so you could enter if you’d like!

I just don't have any F3F plane and never did such a competition. I did some RCSlope competitions years ago.

Will it be possible to fly at Bwlch those day, somewhere away from the competition?

17 hours ago, chiloschista said:

I just don't have any F3F plane and never did such a competition. I did some RCSlope competitions years ago.

Will it be possible to fly at Bwlch those day, somewhere away from the competition?

Probably not - the F3F comp will be using the best Bwlch slope for the wind direction each day. Drop by to watch the F3F action & chat - 50+ pilots to chat to!

There are other slopes in the area e.g Meio (?)

Phil.

• Like 1

chiloschista
52 minutes ago, Phil.Taylor said:

Probably not - the F3F comp will be using the best Bwlch slope for the wind direction each day. Drop by to watch the F3F action & chat - 50+ pilots to chat to!

There are other slopes in the area e.g Meio (?)

Phil.

I could enter with a crappy glider.

Are there prizes for the last classified and the one coming from further away? I guess I could win both 🤭

Ric

I would recommend that newcomers to F3F fly a crappy glider! If you fly a brand new one, you’d be concentrating on not breaking it, rather than flying the course. On the other hand, I wouldn’t recommend a 3-day comp to someone with no experience at all.

On the question of alternative slopes, I disagree with Phil. NE has an excellent alternative slope to the Wrecker, as long as you don’t mind a half hour walk. S, SW, N and E have good alternatives because the slopes are long enough to enable separation. NW is a little more difficult. The best part of the Ice-Cream slope is quite short, and the alternative has limited landing opportunities. W? I don’t know. Never tried exploring Mickey’s West beyond the competition site. SE is the most difficult direction at the Bwlch, and unless El *****o is working with the wind slightly off, I don’t think there is an alternative.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Andy_B said:

See you on Wednesday Ric

Looking forward to it Andy!

Went today to Bwlch to look around and find the slopes. Never seen such a still air  😑

• Like 1
  • Sad 1