MSA F5J Comp', 8th August at Fish Meadow, Upton Upon Severn

Mike

AT THE MOMENT THE COMP' IS STILL ON, IF YOU WISH TO WITHDRAW PLEASE LET US KNOW ASAP....Mike.

Malvern Soaring Association 2nd/3rd F5J event, 8th August,10am start. Camping/campervans allowed on field.

Entry fee £5, height limiter available to hire if needed.

For those who want to camp at Upton for the F5J comps, contact the farmer directly to book a pitch. His details are;

Oliver Surman

Mobile 07788 441612

A post code of WR8 0PB will put you on the slip road to the entrance tunnel but do not turn left halfway down into East Waterside

Please drive around perimeter of field on the track to the right after entrance tunnel.

Entries here, or email Ian Purcell, office@catkinscattery.net

1. Ian Purcell

2. Mike Raybone

3. Simon Conran,  1st time competitor, welcome!

4. Dave East

5. John Freeman

6. Steve Hannon

7. Pete Mitchell

8. Neil Jones

9. Alan Lipscombe

10. Ian Duff

12. Ozzie Osborne

13. Cliff Hanham

14. Chas Dunster

15. Pete Allen16. David Rivers. 1st time competitor, welcome!

17. Graham Lorimer

18. Bob Dickenson

Simon Conran

2.4ghz

BMFA 195226

Please note, first time at Malvern, and most of my flying has been with foamies on the Eastern region. 

Own height limiter. 

• Committee Member
PeteMitchell

Hi Mike

Long time since I got to fly at Fish Meadow so please add me to your list.

BMFA 33859 and all my own bits😀

thermaldoctor

Hi

I am very happy to fly in the wind it will be fun.

But i also want to go to the Long Mynd F3f event on the same day if it gets cancelled.

Please let us know the weather call when you can. Thanks!

Plus there are a few longer distance pilots...

Neil

• Committee Member
PeteMitchell

Sorry Mike, decided not to come.

It looks like conditions tomorrow could be a bit better (I hope they are) but I do not fancy my  3+hr drive in the wet today😨

I was looking forward to this event so very sad to cancell at the last minute.

After a delayed start of twenty minutes to let some dark clouds and a shower pass through, we launched into some surprisingly bouyant air despite the overcast.
The first slots went well, then we had a coffee break to let another shower clear us.
Extra breaks are always welcome when an event is reduced to a two slot competition. Otherwise it all gets a little hectic when you are either flying or timing.
Considering the forecast, it was not surprising that a few withdrew, which was a shame, as by 12 noon the skies cleared as predicted by the various radar apps being perused by some of the attendees.
Lunch was taken after the normal four rounds and the remaining rounds continued during the afternoon under blue skies and puffy white clouds!
Occasionally, even the breeze dropped to virtually nothing indicating the lift was overhead.
However most of the lift was definitely upwind, towards the town in the morning, then further to the right in the afternoon.
Only those launching high were contacting the lift, allowing them to fly the slots out in the afternoon.
Simon Conran who was flying with us for the first time with his 2.5 metre model, launched to 193m and maxed out (with a height gain to 284m) aced the final slot of the day, gaining his first 1000. It was notable that his smile extended out well beyond his face!
The day was brought to a close at 3.30.
Congratulations to the winners, Peter Allen took the premier award and Mike Raybone the runner up spot.
Two special prizes went to Chas for the furthest out landing and Graham won the highest launch at 248 metres.
Luckiest escape went to Neil, after doing some involuntary aerobatics but still managing a 50 after a hurried landing. Following a couple of spells of control loss in what was to be his last slot. He'd very sensibly put his transmitter in the boot of his car during the final shower, but had neglected to close the lid.
Water in the tx was the culprit - as it was with his stopwatch - which ceased to function with the same problem!

Many thanks to Ian for the courage of his convictions and running the event depite many initial doubts.
It allowed us all to have a most enjoyable day

Note for your diaries: The next F5j at Fishmeadow is on Sunday 12th September '21

Regards to all,
Cliff

• Like 2

• Committee Member
PeteMitchell

Pleased to read you had a good day Cliff, and sorry I did not make it. 

Maybe next time 🙂

47 minutes ago, PeteMitchell said:

Maybe next time 🙂     Hopefully Pete, was looking forward to your company - it's been a long time!

• Like 1

Thanks to Ian in particular, and everyone else, who made yesterday a great day for me. 

Sadly, I mis-read my Altis, and it was 204 metes max height, not 284. Never the less, it was my first 1000 points, and I had a brilliant day. 

Thanks Cliff, excellent comp' report!

Ian had tasked me to write something, but no need now!😁

All we want now is a full set of results from Ian, so we can all do the "if only" thing...😊

Mike.