Electric RC Flight

Jef Ott

Jef Ott

Rode through a place called Birchington, which rang all sorts of bells with me, because I seemed to recall there was a model aircraft connection.

It was the home and business place of Colonel Taplin. Famed for his "Taplin Twin" 2 cylinder engines, he was a keen aeromodeller, and I think he flew a (Radio Queen) model aircraft over to France, while chasing it in a boat (although probably best to research that further before quoting).  

He did fly an RC Radio Queen with electric power, in 1958. Although the successfulness of this is not well filmed, there is footage of the pre-flight test and over enthusiastic launch here...  

• Like 1

Nicholls

Do research him and Birchington Engineering who had an exclusive contract with MOD to make extruded wire that no one else could match the accuracy (of diameter of (al to the best of my memory, I lived less than 3 miles away. He used to come to the Isle of Thanet Model Club then at Ramsgate airfield and fly his models, liked to be the centre of attention. 

AnthonyB

There is more, but here is a link after a quick search …... http://www.vrhc.co.uk/dave/hist.htm

I built one and it was exactly true to the plans. There looks to be far too much decalage – but I left it as per plan. To me it did not fly nice.

FirstRQ.thumb.JPG.c166377165aaa2b0f03862aeb08dc1ca.JPG

I removed the tail feathers and fuz covering and rebuilt with far less up elevator. This was not as far as I thought I should go, but a good compromise.

PresentRQ.thumb.JPG.ce0d115b68ca1e5ba5398b0946cf89b9.JPG

For anyone building one, it should be parallel with the wing seat.

It is a huge lump of a thing and occupies far more storage room than it deserves. (Yes I will sell).

I originally built it with 500W (reasonable for a 7ft Piper Cub). On any sort of power it just wanted to stick its nose up. My initial problem (I fly gliders) was a small enough prop.

It is finally flying on a 2800-4S through an Aveox 1406-3Y and a 5.2:1 box and out through a 14 x 8 (folding) prop. This lot gives about 200W, which seems like nothing. BUT ….. I believe with this sort of plane, you let it roll on the least power to move it, then slowly increase power as the tail comes up. Hold the tail up part as you continue increasing power, only pushing to full as you give a little more elevator. Many times it has taken off at half throttle – which must be about 100W.

PowerRQ.thumb.JPG.92140087d689cd9aee0d72a844fb6f99.JPG

Once in the air, half throttle is all that is needed. A couple of clicks more for a slight climb and usually closed throttle for a nice slow fly past. Just enough to have the prop windmill when landing, or it is a 200yds approach.

You could (now) stick in 6 or 8 of these battery packs and it would still fly – but for 3 or 4 hours........... Crossing the Channel – not a problem.

Yes I do thermal it, my best being over 10mins, in front of a large group of the local power flyers.

Note all the strips of lead, to balance the very short nose.

2026485914_RXinRQ.thumb.JPG.acfb71b1e5f5a3084ffdf729bcd35923.JPG

• Like 1

Jef Ott

Thanks for this info. I will reduce the decalage on the one I have (not) been building for the last 25 years.

AnthonyB

There is a plan and photos here - https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5471

It is a delight to fly, with less decalage.......... You must build one (soon) ......... It is a quicker build than a F5RES.

If you project the wing seat line / stringer to the rear, there is enough decalage, but not much rear left.

RQRearJPG.thumb.jpg.7f6d2eb2ff74fedb912070e5aa895297.jpg

A flat bottomed wing of this thickness has all the positive incidence you would need.

I also just glued the tailplane on - no point in dowels and bands. They are just extra weight you have to counterbalance at the front.

As I said - I built it exactly to plan and so it got all the hardwood bearers, though it would always be electric. You can miss all this out and add a sheet of glass board to mount the motor on. Preferably with the nose 3, 4, 5 or 6 inch further forward.

RQfront.thumb.JPG.bcd1e73faaad213bed6616e3b6aaec0f.JPG

AnthonyB

Oh - and miss out all the front (removable) windscreen. Just have a hatch to get to the battery, to switch it all on.

• Like 1

Jef Ott

LOL, the removable windshield is about the only part that is completely finished! I will modify the tail end of the fuselage to give more acceptable AoA.