New to DLG flying

Nathanshirley

Nathanshirley

Hi all, I'm new to DLG flying but have been flying rc for a number of years now. I was given a dlg glider by a club member that didn't have any interest in it any more, I did a bit of research about the glider and believe it's a Salome dlg made by horejsi I think but other then that I don't know much about it, it has been damaged the wing tip where the peg is is damaged but have been repaired with epoxy. The fiberglass skin is starting to delaminate in places, but I have flown it and seems to fly well I watched aload of YouTube videos about throwing it, I can manage to get it to a decent height but only getting 30-60sec flights. It has 9g servos in it they are sticking out on the bottom of the wing I don't know if they would effect the flying performance or not, but I do have a couple of 5g metal geared servos that would fit within the wing. Would anyone have any tips or advice? With the glider and just with flying in general. IMG_20210621_221757.thumb.jpg.c6c88b113bb181cb86b1117464408fed.jpg

Nathanshirley

The delamination is near the middle of wing near the end of the inside of the aileron. Then on the other wing tip there's a bit of lead weight I'm thinking it there to balance it with all the epoxy on the other wing tip. 

IMG_20210724_215711.thumb.jpg.087c0eb3c48279510d425a3b0fe4b9f1.jpgIMG_20210724_215331.thumb.jpg.b35757f9fe1dab106925019e65a41766.jpgIMG_20210724_215433.thumb.jpg.57010cee51226ff70b7e9264d8e4650a.jpg

You might be able to get some thin foam-safe cyano under the skin at the delam and push it back down.  Prick or drill some  small (0.5 mm) holes and let the glue wick through.  Spray some kicker onto a poly bag and quickly press it over the damage with something flat.

The peg is in the red circle.  With the peg in that position, the web between your fingers will hit the wing when you launch - maybe that’s what caused the crush damage at the red arrow.  I had the same problem with my Long Shot, that was Ivan Horejsi's next design.  Ideally, you want to be able to get your web round the corner of the tip for maximum comfort.  On the Long Shot, I rounded off the corner of the tip to get clearance - not very pretty but it worked.

861A5B19-B7D9-4FA9-A5CA-ADC0FA597646.jpeg

E9A6C3AC-9EC1-47A4-B16F-14B0D782BBD5.jpeg

Nathanshirley

Thanks I'll try that when I get some foam safe cyano I just have normal thin cyano, when I throw it the wing tip rubs against the web of my fingers but doesn't stop it, is there alot of difference between the flat pegs and the rounds ones like is on mine? Also the aileron servos stick out of the bottom of the wing, they are 9g servos but when I looked it up they should be 5g would it make much difference if I changed them ? 

IMG_20210724_233151.thumb.jpg.2da25027bd9b7e8310ec3ebf1fb8caad.jpg

The flat pegs are a bit easier on the fingers but stick with the round one if it's OK for you.  Don't worry about the servos sticking out, there will be a tiny bit more drag but it's not worth changing them.

If you want to move to the next step in DLGs, you will see a big performance increase.

As to flying, you will get your best flights on calmer, sunny days when thermals are easier to find.  Get the model trimmed to glide a bit above stalling speed and try not to over control.  Leave it alone as much as possible and watch its behaviour. Learn to read its reaction to air movements.

Get someone to take a video of you launching and flying if you want more advice.  I used to get about 60-70 seconds from my Long Shot in still air when it was new.  I was launching to 30-35 metres at best.

Nathanshirley

I'll fly this glider to get the feel of it then maybe down the line might get better one was actually looking at the mini dart 2 1m from hyperflight but not sure if smaller is better or worse then a 1.5m but a lot more expensive.

I have messed about with the different flight modes and a wee bit of up elevator when launching, I use a dx18 I managed to do a mix so when I press the bind button on the transmitter then I have a switch that I have the ailerons reflex a 1mm. I actually have a video from a few days ago but won't let me upload it here.