7th 2021 F3-RES/F5-RES Combined 14 day duration postal

martynk

A placeholder for the 7th combined 2M F3-RES, F5-RES  14 day duration Challenge for 2021.

This is an experimental event and the rules may be altered for subsequent challenges.

Please submit your score below. The 14 day clock will start when the first score is submitted and will restart if and when the current high score has been beaten.

This is a for fun challenge for UK based pilots, anyone may enter with EITHER 

1. a bungee-launched glider up to 2 metres wingspan and the standard Hi-Start can post a time. The standard Hi-Start bungee is a maximum of 10m of 6/4mm surgical tubing and 50m of static line (minimum 30lb breaking strain). Lighter/smaller bungee rubber may be used.

OR

2. an Electric motor launched glider up to 2 metre wingspan fitted with an Altitude Limiter set to 60m and a maximum motor run time of 20 seconds.

Object: Fly your 2 metre glider for as long as possible from a flat field, the person who's time is unbeaten for 14 days 'wins' and a new challenge starts.

Rules:

Flight times begin when line releases from the tow-hook or in the case of an electric motor powered glider, 20 seconds after the hand launch. The model must land in the launch field for times to count. While the object is to encourage F3/F5-RES types, any model up to 2 metre span may be flown (F3/F5-RES, foam, R/E mouldie) but please state the type of model with your time. Note that ailerons or other camber changing devices fitted are no longer permitted, even if disabled. 

No Flight information telemetry permitted except for Received signal strength and Receiver battery status.

Fly safely! No slope soaring

Graham Lorimer

Someone has to start the next round, so late this morning I set off to Fish Meadow in very mixed weather. When I arrived the steady breeze decided for me, Circle Dancer would have the best chance of a reasonable flight time, it travels into the breeze and up to 60 meters in 20 seconds much better than Purito.

Never in one flight session have I endured so many sub 90 second flights, 3 circles in anything that looked half decent, and the model was well downwind. After draining two batteries, with 6 launches each, if someone had offered me a 5 minute flight or keep trying, I would have gladly taken the 5 minutes, just to get a time on the board.

However perseverance paid off, and after loading my 4th and last charged battery, the wind dropped a little and I got into some lift that didn't disappear downwind too fast, and when I did have to break out after 10 minutes, I got over the field and found some of the best air for a two meter glider, it doesn't go up, but more importantly is doesn't go down, so an extra 3 minutes was earnt for the flight.

Fish Meadow July 27th

Circle Dancer ARTF

16 minutes 25 seconds.

July 27th.png

• Like 1

On my hols so limited opportunities to fly over next 2 weeks.  Got out on Monday for a bit.  Conditions looked excellent but zero lift to start with.  When lift finally arrived it was crazy narrow all the way to 200m.   As you flew through the lift the nose kicked up, followed by the tail which resulted in huge stalls.   It was frustrating and challenging.  Hooked up one 30 min flight.

26th July : 30:26

Capture.thumb.JPG.dda2616930c572412dd09a5632dc6f0e.JPG

Updated Table - not sure if I have the dates correct:

image.thumb.png.ebec40a04f4449973a3652a2e19a799a.png

Can you confirm please.

Thanks

Here is my flight from yesterday (Aug4th).

I have enclosed the full flight …............

FullFlight.thumb.jpg.c948cd7c86533bf35702dabfd5011d02.jpg

It starts to log when you switch on and ends when you unplug (usually).

For an accurate reading (for this class) I have magnified the start and finish.

For the start, when the motor cuts. The first line is the motor cutting and the second is when I close the throttle.

I make that at 42sec.

Start.thumb.jpg.d3371baf6519f96e9aaf43e321c1828e.jpg

Here is the landing. The actual landing was at 36:01. Taking the 42sec off the 36:01 you get a flight time of 35:19............ and boy am I pleased with that !

Ending.thumb.jpg.15fe82a50a5d79187d5ed29b97e664d4.jpg

After I landed the wind came up and I thought it a little strong.

An hour or so later it calmed down and I went back out – zip, nothing that would give a decent time, just little bits of vanishing lift (or my inability to stay with it). But – the wind was all over the place (BBC said SE) – how do you follow it down wind when you don't know where that is ?

Also I was cutting motor early – trying to do low level.

Later.thumb.jpg.3750fa4556931468df545d6d8c8e1776.jpg

• Like 2

Graham Lorimer

Well done

You did very very well to get a flight time over 30 minutes and not go above 120 meters, that really is a dream flight.

The big issue I always run up against is too far down wind, or too high and the need to come down and regain visibility, you had that covered for sure.

Graham

The wind was SE and to the west I have planted a lot of trees, which have rocketed up to 40ft. When going down wind you have to be really careful coming back. If you get it wrong you have to open the motor.

I started the “Gliding North West” Facebook page because there is / has been no one else locally interested. We have double most area's rainfall and high humidity.

What ever it is – it is hard on flat field gliders.

The upside is that if you can master it here, it is a walk in the park elsewhere. It's like training with lead weights round your ankles.

This is my BombayDuck from a couple of days ago – not the slightest sign of lift – as on many days. In anything over 6-7mph it really should be better than the model above. The last flight was 6mins from 60m, which in my book is good.

BombayDuck.thumb.jpg.69e5d7b3cce105a9b490c85a80f80f5b.jpg

This is my trainer version, which has a 850-2S battery in (note the number of brisk climbs). From the day before that, not the slightest sign of any lift. Yet I have done a few 10mins from 60m previously.

You just keep on learning and training, then some more learning and then training.

Trainer.thumb.jpg.db3ccd2fb378eeaf9e12186f4c718ecd.jpg

Sorry

Just spotted an error in the table. 

AnthonyB should have a best before of 14th August, not the 18th

Sorry about that 

1 hour ago, martynk said:

Sorry

Just spotted an error in the table. 

AnthonyB should have a best before of 14th August, not the 18th

Sorry about that 

I thought it had to stand for 14 days, unbeaten. That does make it the 18th ?