Prestige GPS

simon_t

simon_t

I have been flying light class with a 24 year old electrified Calypso Cobra and a far too light Optimus.  So really pleased that last week my Prestige GPS arrived at Flightech, and I visited Neil the next day to pick it up, along with quite a few other bits to get it operational - Thanks for the splendid support Neil!  I was heading off to North Norfolk the next day to the Binham flight camp. It took a couple of days to get it kitted out and ready for flight, only to be faced with the storm that went through late last week, so maiden was delayed for a few days, although even then it was in 20 mph winds.  All I can say is ‘wow’ - the handling, speed (both fast and slow) and floatiness is just awesome.  It’s been too windy for triangle flying, with little lift in the sea breeze here, but on its 4th flight, and ballasted to about 2.45Kg, I had a flight of 1 hour 20 minutes.  I love aggressive models, and this is just brilliant.  The ability to scoot up the strong wind with little height loss is fantastic.  And the occasional thermals that came through were very tight but quite strong in the core - the model just pulls around in a stable, tight and fast climbing turn.  I wouldn’t have believed that thermal soarers could take another significant step forward, but these latest breed of thin winged, solid-cored gliders are just something else.  Can’t wait to get a decent day with light winds to get on a triangle course and get some laps in.

Simon

02871A0E-F35C-47B6-BCF1-F750086A8D10.jpeg

0E95C715-5571-47A4-95BE-496785E8AC5A.jpeg

• Like 4

John Minchell

Well done Simon.  Any chance of some closer photos of your TEC probe mast set up please?

John M

simon_t

John,

The TEK probe is a standard RC Electronics (V-tail) probe, I have just made a streamline fairing from balsa and covered it in black solarfilm.  All the GPS gear is fitted to a slide-in keel plate, which slides in as far as the TEK probe mount which is a small block of ply glued on the inside of the nose cone.  The probe is positioned such that I can fit the battery in front (via the hatch) - it is prevented from sliding back by the probe mount & pipe.  The Sparrow unit is on a flat plate at the front of the keel, at a height which means it just contacts the top of the nose cone.  The RF module is on one side of the keel on Velcro, and the TEK pressure sensor on the other side (see photo).  The RF aerial goes forward along the floor of the nose cone, partly under the battery.  No link issues so far.

Simon

ECAB84D4-E92F-4FAE-ACB7-59CE4B7886C0.jpeg

F7F55489-81E7-40FF-A162-24EA5CBD3564.jpeg