Request for advice on ballasting

Riccardo

Riccardo

Good morning  - As a relative newcomer to dlg flying I would appreciate advice on 2 topics relating to dlg's : 1) Ballasting weights, and 2) Flying in windy conditions.

I fly 1metre dlg's at present and have 3 weighing in at 110 / 150 / 170 grammes respectively. 

My questions are : can you ballast a 1 metre dlg successfully to fly in winds of around 9 -12 mph ? The wind around where I live is often around that speed even in Summer as the terrain is generally considered as 'flat'. The 110 gramme model is a 'no-no' in those wind speeds and is only comfortable (in my hands) upto the region of 6 -8 mph. The other 2 have the space to take ballast but if the advice would be "yes", what sort of weight imposition could you sensibly load onto dlg's weighing around 150 - 170 grammes ?

The second question is related to flying in windy conditions (9 -12 mph)  - I appreciate that this may not be considered by experienced flyers as "windy", but in my hands it is about the limit of my competence. As an indicator of the wind strength I'm referring to, it's the sort of speeds where the glider is actually blown backwards if no turning action is taken.  My problem / dilemma is based around what manoeuvre to take immediately after the launch, and just at the moment the 'plane tops -out. Do I fly into the wind and try and hold it there, or do I start an immediate turn to build up speed ?

I have successful flight about every fourth / fifth launch into the wind, but can never actually establish how I managed it !

Any advice / recommendations from you guys on either subject would be appreciated.

Regards...............Richard.

blancmatter

I've only experience with 1.5m DLGs, and this is a bit sparse (I only have one!). It's a falcon light with an AUW of around 215g. The manufacturer places a 40g ballast limit on it. I only have a 25g ballast and this alone gives a marked difference.

The ballast assists mainly when I'm flying in turbulent air (in a field with trees not too far upwind for example) and prevets the glider getting knocked around so much. It also helps (less noticably) in getting back to me from when I'm downwind in stronger winds.

Structurally I'd *guess* that you would get away with 15-20g and at that level would see an effect on handling in more turbulent air. I'd start of with 10g and see how it feels, and increase a bit upto 20g if you notice a difference. Only you can really look at the wing layup, peg fitting etc and know whether this extra 10-20% mass could be a structural issue based on your throwing power.

Whilst a bit vague, I hope that helps somewhat.

Riccardo

Thanks for that, i really appreciate the helpful comments. I will follow up your advice and experiment with a light selection of the suggested weights.