Fantastic days flying today - 10th Aug 2021

MikevE

Had loads of heavy sink on launch after launch, but then every now and then I managed to catch a thermal. Got up to 120m AGL a few times, had a 12 min flight, an 8 min, and loads of 6 minuters. The thermals were difficult, at least for me, very narrow and very rough with a fair amount of downwind. One thermal gave me perhaps 5m/s lift from only 30m up. It was so strong! Flew 2 receiver packs to empty. I'm tired.

image.thumb.png.ffc4374508f04d9fd8dc8bd6da4a004c.png

• Like 3

Also here's my recent throwing. Anyone have any suggestions for me to improve on, apart from not throwing into the sun like I did there, doh!

• Like 3

Honestly, your launch looks pretty good.  It is hard to tell, but you may have your weight on the back foot a bit long which is as a result of, or caused by launching more underhand.  It is my feeling that you can generate more power with an overhand launch.   It a subtle rotation of the shoulder.  Other than that, just learning to generate more speed is what you need to do launch higher, not that you necessarily need to, you are getting great flights and that's all that matters. Learning to generate more speed involves training the body and practice.  But your launch is really not bad at all.  

ps: I notice your flaps are down in the photo.  Just be careful when landing to put them away as you touch down so that you don't damage the flap servos or linkage.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MikeDLG said:

ps: I notice your flaps are down in the photo.  Just be careful when landing to put them away as you touch down so that you don't damage the flap servos or linkage.  

Thanks for the tips! Yes, that was a failsafe as I powered off the Tx and then the glider and had a rest. I've mostly been putting the brakes away as I touch down.

Got to the field today and discovered I've somehow managed to knock the elevator horn out of its slot so couldn't fly and had to resort to flying my FPV drones. Ah well, at least those skills got some improvement today (I've a lot to learn on FPV also). I'm at least managing multiple consecutive powerloops through a football goal now, and getting better at throttle management and altitude holding.

I'm also delighted that my core is getting stronger with respect to DLG. The first few times I went out launching it wiped me out the next day. Last night and today my core is still a bit tired but much less so, especially considering that I was flying for a good 3 hours or so.

• Like 1

Sure, the fuselage goes in my backpack sticking upright, as does the fin. The elevator goes in the pannier with my FPV goggles case. I then use masking tape to tape the right wingtip to my drinks bottle, and use the slack on my pannier to enfold the wing and hold it. This means about 1/3rd of the wing sticks out past the rear of my bike, and the wing is inside my left leg and near the frame. It's probably not the best solution, but it seems pretty workable so far, certainly for the 20 min cycle from my house to Scrubs. I'll hopefully remember to take a picture for you next time.

I've carried other stuff like this, and it's less risky than it sounds. The hardest part is finding somewhere safe to keep the stabilisers. I may need a box for those.

• 3 weeks later...
Marc RC pilot

A great day watching Mike and his Yoda working and catching some big lift/following them far and high downwind in full concentration-aviator-mode with his beautiful Yoda  :) .  Great flying Mike; really enjoyed watching those moments m8, cheers and well done 👍 

Almost forgot, your battery "pimpage" paid off in spades :) 

• Like 1

That was really an epic day of thermalling!!! Really nice lift, some absolute stonkers of thermals with my vario shrieking at me. 22 minutes is my longest flight to date, with 6 thermals caught. It does make me realise how privileged I am that I got a Yoda, because that glider really makes a difference when heading upwind, penetrating better than I had imagined possible.

I'm seriously considering an F3J now, perhaps the Eternity listed by Flighttech.