Optimus Settings

Al Lipscombe

Al Lipscombe

I have just acquired an early Optimus, but was unable to get the settings. I have searched the internet but found nothing. Does anyone have a list of the settings. The C of G and elevator throws are what I am mainly interested in, the rest I can sort of guess at for a start and tune later.

Cheers

Al 

John Minchell

Hi Al, I was in the same position but have some info which should help.

All the wing settings are on the bottom of the wing build PDF on the manufacturers website - I've attached it.Optimus_wing_assembly.pdf

I couldn't find any rudder or elevator info, but Simon Thornton sent me this:-

"as much rudder throw as possible (can never have enough on these sorts of models) and for the elevator you need the servo to drive the full travel allowed by the cut out in the fin - you will need a lot of down compensation with Crow, so ensure that you can get that - up elevator can be tuned to taste, but most all-moving tails are fairly benign".

HTH John M

Al Lipscombe

Thanks John, That list is fine for camber changing ( I have used those settings) but it was the control throws I wanted, I have used Aileron up 16mm down 8mm, Flaps and as Simon says Rudder as much as possible. Elevator 10mm each way with a bit more on rates if I need it. ARC of 30%, CofG at 120mm.

Weather is looking like I might have to go and give it a chuck.

Thanks again

Al

thermaldoctor

Al that's about right. Whatever throw you like about 50% diff will be somewhere near. Tune to taste

Spoke to Bob Ryan about that model. Little used I dont think Colin did that much with it. Really nice to think Colins models still out there doing the do despite him sadly not being with us.

Cg 115 -120 but it is a stable airfoil so see how you go.

Elevator 10mm - 12mm up and 12mm- 15mm down. Maybe max down the fin slot gives to get best nose over for landings.

Al Lipscombe

Thanks Neil,

I will give the elevator a tad more down and move the CofG forward a little bit as a starting point, and as you say tune from there. I just want to get in the air safely to start the tweaking. We will miss Colin so this is one way of remembering him.

Cheers

Al

• Like 1