Cleaning alcohol and CA Kickstarter recommendations

Marc RC pilot

Marc RC pilot

Looking for some cleaning alcohol to remove any grease/oils from surfaces to be bonded/smudge marks/remove any excess glue for a DLG build.

Also after CA Kickstarter of sorts

Any recommendations please?

image.png.bf7281b380d6242ab92f6d9094fde30a.png

These CA Flexy tips look handy also:

image.png.c7a8426492b700d05e23f2506254f506.png

Many thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Marc RC pilot

Can anyone recommend a spray rubbing alcohol please?

I'm after something to prep and/or remove any smudge marks/ excess glue epoxy on carbon/glass fibre/Kevlar surfaces. Etc.

Seems hard to find at my local shops.

Many thanks

Acetone will remove grease and cured CA but it's very aggressive on some foams so  be super careful.  It can attack foam through micro pores in skinned surfaces.

Epoxy can be removed with a wet tissue (water) before it sets but once it's gone off….  I have no suggestion other than mechanical scraping or abrasives.

I think rubbing alcohol might have stuff in it that would leave a residue?

I always use Foam-Safe Kicker - it works on normal CA too.

• Thanks 1

A more gentle degreaser than Acetone is IPA (isopropanol alcohol) which is available in spray cans from CPC, Farnel and RS components amongst others. Still check to prove it will not dissolve foam first!

Good for degreasing 3d printer beds too.

Neil P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Marc RC pilot

Thanks  gents!  Great advice.

Thanks for links CTR, sounds like that is what I'm after as part of ones cleaning kit. 

👍

• 3 weeks later...
Marc RC pilot

What percentage of Alcohol is recommended for a can of IPA  aerosol spray? they seem to go from 70% up to zlmost 100% purity. 

I want this product  for cleaning/de-greasing  parts prior to fitting/gluing them in place (control horns/servo tray/fuz fin elevator fixing etc  

Cheers

IPA should be IPA! I.e. 100%

I suspect those that state less than 100% are including the propellant in the can. I’ve never personally seen a content list on the cans that I usually buy.

E63A80BC-40ED-4276-B472-1ED7391103E2.jpeg

• Thanks 1

IPA as liquid would be better, maybe an auto paint supplier stocks IPA, they should have similar products like Acetone as that's used for air brush cleaning etc. I'm not suggesting to use Acetone by the way, as already mentioned it's very aggressive with paint etc. 

I use spay window cleaner or diluted screenwash in a spray bottle to clean general dirt/ finger marks off models, spray polish leaves a residue and wax type products are just a pain. 

• Thanks 1

Marc RC pilot

Thanks CTR, I'll place an order with one of the suppliers you mentioned. 👍

Cheers Feefo for the heads up.

If I may be so impertinent to ask another question...

Gorilla Glue...Never used it. It appears to come in different varieties etc but the one I was looking at is the white Gorila glue which seems to expand a bit once applied (to help fill any cavities around/in the glue joint). I saw Mr Lee from Armsoar using it on one of his great  DLG build tutorials to glue in the spring wires into the tail surfaces; it looked like it saved a lot of flaff.

What do you chaps use it for? Recommended as part of ones build kit?

Many thanks again

Marc RC pilot

Got the IPA spray through RS Components, cheers CTR

Also some foam-safe kicker and other bits from T9

Got some white gorilla glue on way as well from Derbyshire Drones (this specific type was not stocked by most sellers)  https://derbyshiredrones.net/product/white-gorilla-glue/

image.thumb.png.9d2826bbb35c8c6dc39f8c3d53ef67f2.png

The last thing on my building paraphernalia list is a quality set of 0-150mm Vernier callipers...I've been drooling over these Japanese Mitutoyo ones...

image.thumb.png.8dbd172a806be52980b372b5969e6948.png

Thanks again for advice gentlemen, always appreciated 👍 

On 03/10/2021 at 11:21, Marc RC pilot said:

Got the IPA spray through RS Components, cheers CTR

Also some foam-safe kicker and other bits from T9

Got some white gorilla glue on way as well from Derbyshire Drones (this specific type was not stocked by most sellers)  https://derbyshiredrones.net/product/white-gorilla-glue/

image.thumb.png.9d2826bbb35c8c6dc39f8c3d53ef67f2.png

The last thing on my building paraphernalia list is a quality set of 0-150mm Vernier callipers...I've been drooling over these Japanese Mitutoyo ones...

image.thumb.png.8dbd172a806be52980b372b5969e6948.png

Thanks again for advice gentlemen, always appreciated 👍 

Without a doubt my Mitutoyo calipers are my most used tool closely followed by my scapel

• Like 1