Explorer 2 F3j setup advice

Marc RC pilot

Marc RC pilot

I just got hold of a second hand Xplorer2  3.8m (Will confirm when I get home). 

I got the xplorer settings from web. Am I good to go with those figures?

Also, how do I confirm what layup it is (light/medium/strong etc)? Weight the wings and compare with spec sheet? 

Many thanks for any help and advice.

818987056_Screenshot2021-09-04130341.thumb.jpg.87384afc8cff6fe0c2d0fb053e4d7f23.jpg

IMG-20210904-WA0013.jpeg

Edited by Marc RC pilot
added settings pic
  • Like 1

Marc RC pilot

All up weight minus the battery is approx 1700g. Span 3.8m. Seems like it's the standard layup which will perfect for my use/flat field bungee etc. Also  there is no "Do not use winch" sticker on fuz wing mount which the light layup has apparently.

First impression on examining assembling her is that it really is a beautifully made and looking soarer... Everything is push tight and accurate. The biggest shock was when I picked her up...the size to weight ratio seems unreal it's so light.

There are couple of minor repaired dings and the fin/fuz  area has been repaired from what looks like a break. All solid repairs but poor finishing (np).

The elevator has a tiny bit of slop in the carbon rod spar/sleeve of fin area. A bit of CA glue in sleeve perhaps?

The fuz servos are x2 JR NES-341 which operate at 4.8v only. I will confirm what's in the wings asap. 

20210904_124002.thumb.jpg.7b0f4460bea349a349fd827edc3643c9.jpg

Lovely looking.

I recently bought a pre owned Claymore F5J from a member here. Great fun and like anything worth doing it takes a fair few flights to understand how they fly abs how to get the best out of it. 

enjoy

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
Marc RC pilot

I found a couple of new 1600mAH 4.8V battery packs that I originally bought for an Algebra. They have been in storage for a year/not used and I'm charging them now, but I don't want to take any risk for the sake of a couple of batteries. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. 

Also, where might be a good place to get hold of some Xplorer2  wing and tail protective bags from? 

image.thumb.png.56e11d46da481b911b3abd985109f464.png

Edited by Marc RC pilot
added pic

• 2 months later...

I have an Xplorer 2. Mine is F5J. I think the sticker is on the wing . Mine weighs 1525g.

If I put 200g of ballast in, it flies nicer.

I have not a list of throws to give you but they are pretty much as per NAN. 

A bit less than nan says for elevator iirc .

It likes to turn on rudder with opposite aileron. Put the opposite rudder in once turn is established to stop the bank angle increasing.

It can seem a bit hesitant to turn. This is normal.

It should fly slightly nose up, evidently.

I am still learning. Only had mine for about 1 year. Have probably had about 100 flights with it.

My thoughts on lipos, providing kept at sensible storage charge then should be fine.  Lipos don't come with a use by date.  What's to say a brand new lipo has not sat on the sellers shelf for 12 months?

Obviously test before use, do a couple of charge, discharge cycles.  Some testers will give you the internal resistance value which is the best way to see lipo health.

A 4.8v pack is more likely to be NiMH.

Could well be OK.  As advised, do a few discharge/charge cycles to determine capacity.  Leave for a week or 2 and repeat.

If it holds reasonable capacity it should be OK.  Enloops and Instants from Vapex hold charge much better, loose only maybe 20% in a year.