Anyone flying during the next couple of days?

MikevE

Given how fantastic the weather was yesterday, and that it's likely to be even better for the next few days, I'm taking time off so that I can fly. Anyone else doing the same? Especially in London.

StraightEdge

Just flown. Newly-finished AURI, maidened last week, been out of it for nearly two years (life stuff, followed by losing my throwing middle fingertip in an accident earlier in the summer), atrocious launch technique (25m) so much practice of effectively 'low-saves' helped by the lovely conditions! Best was 19:23, some of it hands-off, up to 300m etc.

PS only came on here to see when the next meet is.

🙂

• Like 3

Had some good flying today, practicing my efficient thermal flying (it isn't very efficient yet).

StraightEdge

Nice.

Doing the same but it's quite windy and gusty here on the prairies of south-west Oxfordshire, and haven't yet made up any ballast sticks ... very nearly became road-kill a bit ago! 😲

A good opportunity though to work on my rubbish launches... up to 35m now.

• Like 1

I probably should have put some ballast in my Yoda, I have three sticks, one of 39g, one of 60g and one of 96g. I can only imagine using the 96g on the slope perhaps. I was drifting far downwind today, but still managed to penetrate upwind easily enough.

35m is a good launch for me. I clearly need more technique practice and more strength.

• Like 1

StraightEdge

Just looked at my logs.  This one was the last half-hour slot from a total of two hours' launch-practicing - thirty or so launches in just over half an hour, that's one per minute, launch then straight back in speed mode.  Most of them are around the 30m mark, except when I stopped trying to put power into it (the lower ones!) and concentrated instead on a more relaxed stance, just trying to unwind at speed with a straight arm following my shoulders which should have been following my hips which should have been following my feet - which were the few 36m peaks!

Good practice opportunity, will keep working at it until I find the sweet-spot for me.

721237768_Screenshot2021-09-07at20_15_49.thumb.png.dc31019ac0fc957c9ca3422cb4cf437c.png

I wonder whether adding say 40g of ballast would have improved the launch heights in the wind?

StraightEdge

Although I'm built more like Marcus Stent (and also middle aged!):

...I do seem to be getting slightly better results following Pierre's instructions:

...and his updated version:

• Like 1

StraightEdge

Very nice!  Didn't look too windy at the Scrubs.  I guess the surrounding cityscape slows things a bit?

20 hours ago, StraightEdge said:

Although I'm built more like Marcus Stent (and also middle aged!):

That Marcus Stent video was useful, thanks. I got a couple of 40m launches today. His video turned a light on in my brain. I've watched most of Pierre's videos already haha.

• Like 1

StraightEdge

My pleasure!  Glad things are looking up... so to speak!  Were you ballasted today?

Jon

PS Your next task is...

Yeah, I put the 39g ballast in because it was quite windy, getting towards the limits of where I'd currently fly the Yoda at. Not much in the way of lift, all torn to shreds by the wind. The two thermals I did catch had me going downwind at 10x the climb rate.

Marc RC pilot

Great stuff 👍

Weekend looking good, winds very calm on Sunday so far.

I'll be at Scrubs at 10am both days if weather holds.

Marc RC pilot

Lovely flight there Mike and superb quality video. That perfect catch was the cherry on the cake 👍

I got a couple hours in at Scrubs this morning. No one there....All alone...=) 

Weather was overcast with a fair breeze which started picking up over time with some nice gusts thrown in. Not much thermal activity. 

I messed about with my elevator settings so as to get more down than up for over-the-top levelling out after the zoom which allowed me to let the glider get its nose down closer to it's pre-stall speed. I found that I could hold the zoom phase that little bit longer which got me to 40+m for same effort. 

Also tried out different Zoom/climbing release angles (which are so depended on the release timing of the launch button or switch). I find it very easy to keep forgetting to release my push-button on time as one gets carried away with the discus launch spin and release phases...

So much room for improvement which makes it all the more fun/challenging :) 

Is anyone one up for some flying and maybe some practicing of sorts tomorrow?

I can bring my new digi throw meters  if anyone would like to check/tweak/experiment with there settings etc

Weather forecast looking good

Sorry Marc! I got busy in the week and filmed a lot of miscreant drivers, so I had to work on getting those ready to report as well as some of my normal job.

• Like 1

Ooh, met a new DLGer at Scrubs today, his name was Luke and he rode in on a cargobike. It was a 1m DLG, and he was doing really well with it.

• Like 2

Marc RC pilot

Weather looks good this morning :)

I'll be there for 10am if anyone fancies a flutter.

image.thumb.png.a6154385a40f877c1f375af313842433.png

• Like 1