F3K League Event Hockliffe, Saturday 18th Sept 2021

PaulR

All pilots are welcome but BMFA insurance is a necessity.  New contest pilots especially welcome.  

This F3K league event is to be held at Hockliffe, north of Dunstable on the A5.  This is a private club site and a farm field, normally grazed by sheep.

Entrance

What3words: ///surnames.mascots.skinning

https://goo.gl/maps/kFWjKZVZ6wGYQC7y9

The start time will be 10:00 - please aim to arrive in time for a pilots briefing at 9:45am

Entries close at 18:00 on Friday 17th Sept.

An entry fee of £10 per head will be charged for this event - please be ready to pay on the day - juniors free.

Keep watching here for updates.

Entry is via the F3XVault event here:

https://f3xvault.com/?action=event&function=event_view&event_id=2158

I will unfortunately not be able to attend and Neil will be CDing.

Just a chase up message to get your entry in for next weekend comp.

Just to confirm, the event is a 1 day competition scheduled for Saturday 18th September.  As usual I will make a final decision on Friday if this will go ahead or not weather depending.

If we are unfortunate with the weather to hold a competition on the Saturday, then we have a reserve date for the next day, Sunday 19th.  The weather call for this will be on Saturday pm.

I realise that some of you might not be able to make one day or the other so can you please let me know which....

1. Can attend only Saturday

2. Can attend only Sunday ( if Sat is cancelled)

3. Can attend either Saturday or Sunday

I'd like to come to this to get a taste of actual competition flying if I can, else just benefit from watching the action and perhaps a bit of coaching.

Jon

• Like 2

Hey Jon

Be great to see you there and also anyone else who wants to come try out a DLG event.  If you can launch and land close to yourself that's all you need to do.

Just to be sure are you wanting to enter the competition?  I'm sure all the guys that flew their first comps this season would agree that it is the best way to learn, you will have a great day and come away with heaps of knowledge and a big smile.

Please let me know to include you or not as I need to work out the flying order for the day.

A couple of questions:

Never having done anything more than duration flying etc, it would be helpful to get a steer on the typical tasks in a F3K comp - any useful resources for a newbie like me to look at in advance?

Also, re registering on F3Xvault, I assume I'd enter my BMFA number in the field titled AMA/FAI?

Jon

Section 5.7.11 of this: https://www.fai.org/sites/default/files/ciam/sc4_vol_f3_soaring_21.pdf gives the formal definition of the tasks, but don’t get too hung up on reading and understanding them all. 
Whoever is timing for you will make sure you understand what you need to do at the beginning of each round. They are all variations of “fly for X minutes”, probably multiple times in a 10minute windows.

Landing in the (big) box is the main thing to concentrate on in your first comp and focus on the other aspects of the flights/tasks as and when you can. 

BMFA number in F3xvault is fine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1