Small camera drone recommendations

Marc RC pilot

Marc RC pilot

A friend and I are toying with getting a drone for taking pictures/videos and some FPV fun flying. Both of us are total beginners with drones. We want something small/compact, good flight duration and good bang for buck.

After a little research this morning it appears that the DJI Mini 2 ticks all the right boxes so far. 

DJI Mini 2 review | Digital Camera World

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Marc

Well, next time we're both at Scrubs, come and have a try of my drones. I have the DJI Mini 2, the DJI FPV drone <--- both of these you can fly easily as they have DJI stabilisation and a complete n00b can fly them. Then I have a Shendrones Squirt and a Titan XL5 <--- even with all your fixed wing RC experience you're probably not going to be able to fly them easily without crashing at first. They're much closer to helicopters, and I found it quite difficult to translate my fixed wing flying experience to these. The biggest change is that throttle becomes altitude and pitch becomes speed, which is entirely opposite on powered fixed wing. I spent at least 20 hours of simulator time before I dared to fly on manual FPV mode.

The DJI FPV drone is kinda in the middle of the ground between the DJI Mini 2 and the more normal FPV drones such as the Squirt and Titan. It can fly in normal/sport mode, which is like the DJI Mini 2, or in full manual mode which is more like the normal FPV drones. I'm not that impressed with the DJI FPV any more - it did get me into proper FPV, but it's so delicate and other people have broken them lots, and then only DJI can repair them.

The DJI Mini 2 doesn't come with goggles (and I'm not even sure if you can bind goggles to it) -  you fly the drone with your phone mounted to the controller to see what is on the camera. Its purpose is taking cinematic style footage, so it's slow, stable and pretty much anyone can fly it easily even without experience of any kind.

FPV drone flying is fantastic fun, as much as soaring is for me.

• Thanks 1

Marc RC pilot

Thanks for all the info and advice Mike! 

I will defo take you up on your kind offer to have a try.👍

Cheers