My Explorer failure at Tonbridge yesterday

PETER SHERLIKER

PETER SHERLIKER

I thought failure / motor reversing was esc problem Yesterday but on stripping and testing discovered that motor Powerline 1015 Motor and Gearbox was problem. I test flew Explorer after assembly and all was good so added height recorder and when my first flight was due went to line and on powering up discovered loose connection which was switching power off and need rebooting a few times before I thought it was right but on powering up motor was reversed, back to pits and ready spare Shadow for next round.

I thought problem was esc however on stripping powertrain out this morning, replacing esc, motor was still reversed, changed motor to Turnigy Glider drive and it ran in correct direction went back to powerline and swapped two leads and all run correctly.

Can only assume my switching on and off on start line affected the sensors in motor windings, causing reverse of motor.

Has anyone had this or is my assumption correct and a motor can be reversed by switching on and off repeatedly.

Peter 

Does the Powerline motor have sensors? I though aircraft motors were sensorless. If the esc has a reverse option then maybe the switching on and off somehow reset that option but esc's with reverse function are limited. I guess the esc might have gone into programming mode and you accidently reversed it but a motor usually needs the 2 of the 3 wires swapping to alter the direction.

• Like 1

Normally you just swap over two of the three connections from ESC to motor to reverse it.  The power line is sensorless, so you must have inadvertently swapped them at some stage when you added the height limiter.  That is the only way that the motor would have reversed.

Simon

I'm fairly new to F5J, 5 years, but I've only come across reversing motors twice. Once at Malvern a fortnight ago, and yours. Bearing in mind the close proximity of these two cases, I wondered if they could be connected, perhaps through an update to an ESC, or update to a height limiter. Not sure who it was at Malvern, but I'm sure you could find out. 

It was me at Upton (malvern) a couple of weekends back........and yes the ESC reversed the motor direction between rounds. Why ?......I have no idea as it had been OK for a couple of seasons. I hadn't changed any on-board components between the rounds but re-plugged the height limiter on the flight line as the plug looked loose. 

I have had this happen once before - at the first F5j World championships in 2019 and again no obvious cause. Interestingly, it is the same make and model of ESC in both cases.  

Pete Mitchell started a thread regarding ESC's reprogramming due to battery switch on off Tx Rx wotsits so search for that thread.

PETER SHERLIKER

Thanks for all replies the radio is futaba 14sg Esc Hi Model 40 amp and does have reversing facility. After removing power train from model and using spare receiver to test setup motor run in reverse, disconnected motor and replaced with Turnigy glider drive (you can hold motor no need to mount), esc connections same as powerline ie red to red black to black and motor ran correct rotation, therefore powerline was reversed, Next changed esc to Turnigy 40 amp and powerline still ran in reverse Glider drive ran correct rotation. Reversed channel on tx no difference only switch reversed, Swapped red and black connections on esc to motor and powerline runs correctly.

Hi model program card not working so can't reprogram esc other than manually using motor channel, test flew this morning all well but have lost brake facility. Have decided that replacing esc with new ones that I have program card for, best solution, seems like all equipment bought a few years ago when I started F5J is failing sevo's now others height recorders and esc's, next new model will be completely new.

peter