9th 2021 F3-RES/F5-RES Combined 14 day duration postal

martynk

A placeholder for the 9th 2021 F3-RES/F5-RES Combined 14 day duration postal.

This is an experimental event and the rules may be altered for subsequent challenges.

Please submit your score below. The 14 day clock will start when the first score is submitted and will restart if and when the current high score has been beaten.

This is a for fun challenge for UK based pilots, anyone may enter with EITHER 

1. a bungee-launched glider up to 2 metres wingspan and the standard Hi-Start can post a time. The standard Hi-Start bungee is a maximum of 10m of 6/4mm surgical tubing and 50m of static line (minimum 30lb breaking strain). Lighter/smaller bungee rubber may be used.

OR

2. an Electric motor launched glider up to 2 metre wingspan fitted with an Altitude Limiter set to 60m and a maximum motor run time of 20 seconds.

Object: Fly your 2 metre glider for as long as possible from a flat field, the person who's time is unbeaten for 14 days 'wins' and a new challenge starts.

Rules:

Flight times begin when line releases from the tow-hook or in the case of an electric motor powered glider, 20 seconds after the hand launch. The model must land in the launch field for times to count. While the object is to encourage F3/F5-RES types, any model up to 2 metre span may be flown (F3/F5-RES, foam, R/E mouldie) but please state the type of model with your time. Note that ailerons or other camber changing devices fitted are no longer permitted, even if disabled. 

No Flight information telemetry permitted except for Received signal strength and Receiver battery status.

Fly safely! No slope soaring

Graham Lorimer - 19/9/2021

Fish Meadow

Magic 2 F5-RES

14 minutes 20 seconds

Graham Lorimer

Graham Lorimer

Another day of trimming flights at Fish Meadow with my new F5RES Magic 2.

Lots of short flights, and one very good flight in the late morning, with 5 or 6 separate areas of lift found and successfully worked, that is a real first for me, usually 2 is as good as I can manage in one flight. The afternoon produced one flight of 9 minutes and another 6 minute flight. Did not get over 160 meters all day, is it the model, me or the conditions?

On my best flight, did not get very high at just over 150 meters, but joining several batches of good air, the last five minutes coming from just 20 meters, very satisfying.

Fish Meadow

Magic 2 F5-RES

24 minutes 

Graham Lorimer

Sept 21st.png

• Like 2

Likely the conditions.  Lift too narrow, too weak or inversion.

Nice flight though.  The lower ones are always more rewarding but more stressful.

I managed to get out to my new club on Wednesday evening. (Bramhall Area Thermal and Slope - BATS) Cool, breezy, 10 to 15 kt winds and very turbulent downwind of some trees and a school, so not ideal for an underpropped  F5-RES.  However after several attempts, about 30 minutes before twilight, I managed a 3:25. Less 20 seconds so 3:05 claimed.  I'll update the table later. 

22 Sept 3:05, Mad Hatter 2E, F5-RES 

Not a record breaking score but its a score.. 

• 2 weeks later...

A bit low on entries this time but well done to Graham for a great flight.

Hopefully, the weather may settle down a bit for the next one.