MSA F5j Comp 17th October at Fish Meadow, Upton Upon Severn

Ian Purcell

Midland/ Malvern Soaring Association 5th F5j event , BARCS/BMFA league 17th October 10am start. Camping/ campervans allowed on field.

Entry fee £5, height limiter available if needed.

For those who wish to camp at Upton for the F5j comp, contact the farmer directly to book. His details are:-

Oliver Surman  Mobile 07788 441612

A post code of WR8 0PB will put you on the slip road to the entrance tunnel but do not turn left halfway down into East Waterside.

Please drive around the perimeter of the field on the track to the right after the entrance tunnel.

Enteries here, or email Ian Purcell

,Closing time and date for entries  2pm Saturday 16th October

office@catkinscattery.net 

1 Ian Purcell  2.4 have limiter

2 John Freeman 2.4 have limiter

3 Steve Hannon 2.4 have limiter

4 Andy Harrold 2.4 have limiter

5 Ian Duff 2.4 have limiter

6 Mike Raybone 2.4 have limiter

7 David Rivers borrow limiter

8 Graham Lorimer 2.4 have limiter

9 Al Lipscombe 2.4 have limiter

10 Dave East 2.4 have limiter

11 Peter Allen 2.4 have limiter

12 Simon Conran 2.4 have limiter

2 hours ago, andyharrold said:

Fish Meadow.

Wellies or walking boots?

Good question. 

I'm keeping a record going from 10 different weather websites, to see if Forcasting this far ahead is viable. 

All agree that the wind will be from between SW, and SSE, all bar one between about 7 to 12 mph. 

Precipitation is variable, with the majority saying 10% to 30% chance, clearing by noon. Temperature very consistent 15° to 17°C.

Answer to your question..... Bring both. 

Andy 

The grass is nice and short having been mown for camping, for a music festival a few weeks ago so walking boots 

are probably fine.

• Like 1

Many thanks for the warm welcome which I received from all at Fish Meadow today.

Not my best days flying ever, but hopefully you will let me come again next year.

Regards,. Andy

• Like 1

The comp start time was delayed 1/2 hour to allow the fine rain and low cloud base to improve, as per the forecast which as the day progressed proved to be correct!

Wind speeds slowly increased over the day with some sudden gusts causing some pilots landing problems undershooting the spot ( Such is life!)

Two slots per round so all were either flying or timekeeping so a busy day for everybody but nevertheless enjoyed by all.

Being virtually a no thermal day it was as expected a minimum sink day trying to find better air to stretch out flight times

Thanks to all for making it a good enjoyable day Ian P

17 oct.JPG

• Like 1

Had a great day again with some great flights, definitely worth coming up for.

Hitting the landing circle 6 out of 7 times was a huge improvement for me! 

Just disappointed that my Altis had a malfunction on round 2, scoring nil points, when it would have been one of my best scores. I attach a screen shot, if anyone knows what might have happened, I'd dearly like to know. 

BTW, the answer to my question above is that whilst the weather forcasts were a bit variable, nevertheless, it is possible to give a forecast with working accuracy 5 or even 6 days in advance.

Screenshot_20211019_053102_cn.wps.moffice_eng.jpg