10th 2021 F3-RES/F5-RES Combined 14 day duration postal.

martynk

A placeholder for the 10th 2021 F3-RES/F5-RES Combined 14 day duration postal.

This is an experimental event and the rules may be altered for subsequent challenges.

Please submit your score below. The 14 day clock will start when the first score is submitted and will restart if and when the current high score has been beaten.

This is a for fun challenge for UK based pilots, anyone may enter with EITHER 

1. a bungee-launched glider up to 2 metres wingspan and the standard Hi-Start can post a time. The standard Hi-Start bungee is a maximum of 10m of 6/4mm surgical tubing and 50m of static line (minimum 30lb breaking strain). Lighter/smaller bungee rubber may be used.

OR

2. an Electric motor launched glider up to 2 metre wingspan fitted with an Altitude Limiter set to 60m and a maximum motor run time of 20 seconds.

Object: Fly your 2 metre glider for as long as possible from a flat field, the person who's time is unbeaten for 14 days 'wins' and a new challenge starts.

Rules:

Flight times begin when line releases from the tow-hook or in the case of an electric motor powered glider, 20 seconds after the hand launch. The model must land in the launch field for times to count. While the object is to encourage F3/F5-RES types, any model up to 2 metre span may be flown (F3/F5-RES, foam, R/E mouldie) but please state the type of model with your time. Note that ailerons or other camber changing devices fitted are no longer permitted, even if disabled. 

No Flight information telemetry permitted except for Received signal strength and Receiver battery status.

Fly safely! No slope soaring

This was my best flight of the day and there was NOTHING that would lift the thing up.

I am claiming 4:15 .......... And boy did I fight for that !

OctTime.thumb.jpg.94cdc861c9c466a345bde2b9a7444f18.jpg

Oct6.thumb.jpg.aa247ce58b60bc36f2b7399c56b40152.jpg

Graham Lorimer

How far downwind did you go, these little 2 meter gliders really don't do well in windy conditions, otherwise as soon as you have turned a couple of times in the lift, it is essential to break out and head back to the field. 4 minutes on a windy day can be hard to achieve.

Graham

1 hour ago, Graham Lorimer said:

How far downwind did you go, these little 2 meter gliders really don't do well in windy conditions, otherwise as soon as you have turned a couple of times in the lift, it is essential to break out and head back to the field. 4 minutes on a windy day can be hard to achieve.

Graham

I didn't go down wind as such. I stood facing west and the wind was from the south, to my left. I launched south west and went round in a clockwise circle, passing just in front of myself as I went round. To the north is a line of trees I planted and at 2.5mins (facing south) I tacked slowly back to myself along them. When the glider was just past me I started to tack back the other way. That all sounds simple, but the gusts would lift a wing or the nose or even the tail. Then after 1min at 3:30 there was a nasty gust and I was almost in the tree. You can see the dip. After that, you keep well away from the tree, because it is too low. This was my best flight. At other points I launched - thought there was lift, circled and I was then the wrong side of the trees. When over that way, you ALWAYS come back with enough clearance. I will admit I have left it too late and flown through a gap between the trees. To do that you go to speed mode (good dose of down) and blast through the gap - any hesitation and you will vanish behind one of the trees. (I know).

I am happier launching to 200m or even 90m. Then if you think it is lift, you will be 20, 30, 40m higher when you make a run back. The local power club has the same problem, even higher trees, but it is the wind through them that's the problem, below 60m.

Anthony.

With a lot of lawn to mow, I went out to do the deed.

About 3:20 it was time for the tea break. As I sat there, looking up, there right over my head was a 50 gull thermal.

I ran inside, stuck the wings on and rushed out to the field. As always there was not a bird to be seen. Launched and as you would expect – nothing.

Oct8First.thumb.jpg.74ab58fdd488b9ea597998f115de0214.jpg

I stood there for a few mins and thought “Just one more.”

Understand that I had not charged the battery, so it must have been well down, it's only a 450-2S.

Down to 45m and a little bounce, so slowly I was gaining bits of height.

Oct8Second.thumb.jpg.d0cfd6adeb25daf27479fbd3839b4d09.jpg

All morning it had been a strongish SE breeze and now it was almost flat calm. Actually the local windmill said SSW, so there was some movement.

I probably went 250yds northwards, trying to stay with it. Eventually I had to come back and went past myself looking for some more. I found bits and bobs. Nothing strong and some times I lost them and sometimes I circled in what was actually sink. Then it all ended and there was nothing and I came round and landed.

I left the voltage trace on the graph – you can see that with the motor on, I was pushing it !

I am claiming 21:35.

Oct8End.thumb.jpg.9ac3554f111140960d457b4d8e7232fc.jpg

Oct8Time.thumb.jpg.507504a4df897dd48dba537a4d20554f.jpg

• Like 2

Now that is a challenge. Handy having your flying field outside your back door.. :)

image.thumb.png.3a2479f2e9433afab3b2ba6db6411ab9.png

StraightEdge

Nice one Anthony!

It was a very low grey cloud all day today down here in the south... but looking sunnier and more useful tomorrow!

1 hour ago, StraightEdge said:

Nice one Anthony!

It was a very low grey cloud all day today down here in the south... but looking sunnier and more useful tomorrow!

We started breezy with bits of fluffy high cloud. At about 3:00, far lower thick cloud moved in and the wind dropped. It was either a street or a front, but it really did change. We get rain tomorrow. It was looking like next Tuesday would be my next flying day.

I don't like my model being called Odd, it's name is HarrHee. Most models have RES in their name, but mine has no S.

HarrHee.thumb.JPG.782ff27b24b635922f00346f567d2d83.JPG

22 minutes ago, martynk said:

😂 It was meant to infer Own Design. I didnt know the name at the time.. 

Oh Martyn, it is just my obtuse sense of humour. That is why I put odd and not O/D - but you would not know would you. And it's about to rain, so I write garbage.

StraightEdge

Had a short session today on Port Meadow in Oxford.  There was some occasional thermal activity once the early mist cleared, but it tended to be quite a distance away - judging by where the kites and gulls were circling - rather than within practical distance, so the best I managed was 6:03 around lunchtime.

Jon, PuRES, F3RES, 6:03

Graham Lorimer

I took advantage of the calm conditions today and spent 4 hours flying Purito and Magic 2, both F5RES models.

Plenty of light lift about, but very hard to get any decent height from it, with both models I had a lot of flights from 5 - 8 minutes duration, but found it very hard to do better.

Finally managed to achieve a good climb out with Magic 2 and finished with a 14 minutes 25 second flight. Still haven't been able to climb over 180 meters with Magic, maybe me jut not flying it correctly, given that my Purito and Circle Dancer have both been over 525 meters at different times. More trimming and more practice needed, the approaching winter will serve up some more difficult and challenging conditions without doubt.

Graham Lorimer

Magic 2 F5RES

Fish Meadow

14 minutes 25 seconds.

Magic 9th Sept.png

• Like 2

Dang it was hot today. Mist was stubborn to start with. Surprised lift not better but glad you guys got out.   Certainly a nice way to close out the summer flying season.    Roll on spring.

1 hour ago, cirrusRC said:

Dang it was hot today. Mist was stubborn to start with. Surprised lift not better but glad you guys got out.   Certainly a nice way to close out the summer flying season.    Roll on spring.

Don't say you're  a fair weather flyer. When you're made of the right stuff, you keep it up all year round ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 09/10/2021 at 22:18, AnthonyB said:

Don't say you're  a fair weather flyer. When you're made of the right stuff, you keep it up all year round ! 

No I was cycling 230 miles instead.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Anthony won this one, well done. Weather has not been conducive to lightweight gliders.

I'll update the table and start a new challenge shortly