11th 2021 F3-RES/F5-RES Combined 14 day duration posta

martynk

A placeholder for the 11th 2021 F3-RES/F5-RES Combined 14 day duration postal.

This is an experimental event and the rules may be altered for subsequent challenges.

Please submit your score below. The 14 day clock will start when the first score is submitted and will restart if and when the current high score has been beaten.

This is a for fun challenge for UK based pilots, anyone may enter with EITHER 

1. a bungee-launched glider up to 2 metres wingspan and the standard Hi-Start can post a time. The standard Hi-Start bungee is a maximum of 10m of 6/4mm surgical tubing and 50m of static line (minimum 30lb breaking strain). Lighter/smaller bungee rubber may be used.

OR

2. an Electric motor launched glider up to 2 metre wingspan fitted with an Altitude Limiter set to 60m and a maximum motor run time of 20 seconds.

Object: Fly your 2 metre glider for as long as possible from a flat field, the person who's time is unbeaten for 14 days 'wins' and a new challenge starts.

Rules:

Flight times begin when line releases from the tow-hook or in the case of an electric motor powered glider, 20 seconds after the hand launch. The model must land in the launch field for times to count. While the object is to encourage F3/F5-RES types, any model up to 2 metre span may be flown (F3/F5-RES, foam, R/E mouldie) but please state the type of model with your time. Note that ailerons or other camber changing devices fitted are no longer permitted, even if disabled. 

No Flight information telemetry permitted except for Received signal strength and Receiver battery status.

Fly safely! No slope soaring

• 2 weeks later...
Graham Lorimer

With the more gentle breeze blowing through today, I could find no reason not to spend a couple of hours sniffing out the Fish Meadow lift with my Purito.

During the intervening period since last flying, I have replaced my Taranis with a new Horus X10 Express, and having bound the 2 meter glider fleet to that, thought I can kill two birds with one stone........ how wrong I was.

I normally fly the 2 meter models with my Radiomaster TX16S, having cloned them across from my Taranis originally. Started flying today with the Horus, recognised that there is a lot more trimming to get the Purito flying properly with the new transmitter (could not get the Expo settings right) so switched back to the Radiomaster, not realising that when the Horus is bound to the Purito, it no longer recognises the Radiomaster. So without a lot of work I would prefer to do on Companion while on my PC, it was Horus or nothing today. And that did not lead to ideal flying in very tricky conditions.

Only managed about an hour in total before the wind came up, and have set a very low bar for everybody to chase. On my best attempt, the only saving grace was managing to double the meagre flight time after it got below 20 meters.

Fish Meadow

Purito F5RES

Time 5 minutes 25 seconds. (the climb out was just 15 seconds).

November 2nd.png

Graham Lorimer

I guess the Red Kites are better than me at getting the EXPO sorted then.

"Smooth as silk and climbing nicely" I was not.

GL

• Haha 1

Went for my apres lunch walk to the Spar and on the way back I heard the “Squawk” of my 2 local Buzzards above their home in the woods to the east.

It was not as windy as stated on the BBC, so I charged my 600g “Trainer-Bombay Duck” and within 30mins I was out.

I launched and it was not good at all. Just as I was about to land I heard the squawk – 100yds north of me, so opened up and went straight at them. When the motor cut, they were over twice as high above me, probably 100m higher. I decided to continue north, because the north wind would “drag” the thermal.

Yes, that worked and it was going up. Well it did for a short while and at some point it became clear that it was not actually going up. It was bouncing in the gusty air though. How come Buzzards don't bounce the same ?

There was 70% cloud cover and rain was always possible, so there was a good chance the clouds were doing some sucking.

At the start of the flight I could picture a good 10mins – don't count your Buzzards before they hatch – 5mins 41 seconds !

Insert

Nov3Land.thumb.jpg.e6073120acc790537c13d7179068e686.jpg

Nov3Time.thumb.jpg.5a275069553d37cb900a4ca7225a233a.jpg

Drat, I have just spotted something. I thought I had done better than the graph, from my Tx timer, but just copied the numbers. The height switch had decided that the moment I started the motor, that was the height. I took the time from the moment it stopped going down. I did not land in a tree. Had I actually landed and disconnected, then started another flight it would have done it all.

It is what it is – learn from it. Had I landed and started again I could have missed it all. I should always land and start another flight !

Nov3Full.thumb.jpg.e752ec693dd04f10eee1eb210bb32684.jpg

Here is the table, sorry its a day late:

image.thumb.png.540d9957079782415b80e78801590ad2.png

Anthony, I am a bit confused with your claim. Is it valid? It looks OK although I agree you should land and reset but you didn't appear to exceed 60m under power on the second run. What was the glide duration?

First I claim 5min 41sec.

On my Tx timer I had thought I did better, so I rechecked. I had not landed, but re-ran the motor from 10m and as expected the motor cut before 60m. The height switch cuts the motor before 60m. (The algo works out where (early) to cut the motor, so the zoom does not go over 60m. (but you can "game" that a bit if you want). 

Upon consideration, if the switch thought it was a re-start from ground. It would call that start point zero feet. It didn't, it remained at 10m.

Which then says - how / why did it stop measuring at 10m. I once did 3 perfect 10min slots with this switch and it recorded NOTHING, just the previous flights. 

My thoughts - stick in the 5min 41secs and I have 14 days to beat that. When I have done, it will be irrelevant anyway. I don't like any doubts about my figures, that is why I usually blow up the start and finish.

Just a quick word about these timers.

The algo is there to keep your launch to below the set height. In this case 60m.

Looking at the graph, the first black dot is where the motor was cut (55m). The yellow dot is where I closed the throttle, but after the motor had stopped. You will see that the “launch height” was exactly 60m. If this was used for F5J your start height would have been 63.4m – which spoils your start height if launching into lift...... It is taken from the highest point in the 10sec after throttle cut. (I do know there is no throttle cut by switch in F5J).

You can game it by (as in this case) lowering the nose at 50m and having a shallow climb from there. It thinks you are climbing slowly, so raises the cut off point. You have in fact gained a lot of energy as speed, then after the motor has cut, raise the nose and gain some free height............ not that I would ever do that. It is also easy to outsmart yourself.

Game.thumb.jpg.ddfec3da806ea49bf780308c5c5a7492.jpg

Another interesting one is if you have a vented spinner and vented bulkhead, there is a pressure build up inside the fuz.

It is very small and the pressure will equalise very quickly.

If you come in to land fast, there is increased pressure inside, which registers as being lower. Going very low (1ft) and fast, to get to the landing centre, when you land the pressure drops, making you seem higher.

On a graph it looks like you landed far sooner. I changed my landings to a dive at the spot, to stop you being 5 seconds off.

You can see the low spot at 10:17. That flight was exactly 10mins, it was 17sec from connect to launch.

Landing.thumb.jpg.2136d90c31fb08f4f29485f1d58f4a53.jpg

Thanks Anthony

I think for next year I will introduce a rule to say you must land and reset before a subsequent flight. Appreciate you didn't go over 60m but it is a big tactical advantage over F3-RES pilots.

Revised table

image.thumb.png.a01e2dab012ed4196d68e7ed782a44d1.png

I went out to do a flight before you corrected !

Nov4Fly.thumb.jpg.a16448958347171f4735fed226829508.jpg

First flight was good, but during that flight 200+ gulls came over, all in “V” formation. Fresh from all the land fill sites.

The second flight I flew along their path, backwards and forwards.

Here is the part that counts.

Nov4Flight.thumb.jpg.44640dec76c440b7555299dcfbe5fc4b.jpg

This is the landing bit – I claim 6mins 25secs. That ends the previous mess up. I was too late you have done it !

Nov4Landing.thumb.jpg.07f01a06ceb8e2ebcb03d0efc663cf2e.jpg

38 minutes ago, martynk said:

but it is a big tactical advantage over F3-RES pilots.

I think the biggest tactical advantage is being retired! 😄🤣

• Haha 2

I retired 16 months ago. I have never had so little time in my life..

2 hours ago, AnthonyB said:

I went out to do a flight before you corrected !

Nov4Fly.thumb.jpg.a16448958347171f4735fed226829508.jpg

First flight was good, but during that flight 200+ gulls came over, all in “V” formation. Fresh from all the land fill sites.

The second flight I flew along their path, backwards and forwards.

Here is the part that counts.

Nov4Flight.thumb.jpg.44640dec76c440b7555299dcfbe5fc4b.jpg

This is the landing bit – I claim 6mins 25secs. That ends the previous mess up. I was too late you have done it !

Nov4Landing.thumb.jpg.07f01a06ceb8e2ebcb03d0efc663cf2e.jpg

Anthony

Are you deducting the 20 seconds motor run from your flight time?

1 hour ago, martynk said:

I retired 16 months ago. I have never had so little time in my life..

Anthony

Are you deducting the 20 seconds motor run from your flight time?

The top chart is the full flight

The next is chart running from when the motor cut.

The 3rd shows the time and where I touched down

I am claiming 6min 25sec.

Graham Lorimer

Another Pensioners day out at Fish Meadow today, but a real struggle for improvement, I don't think any of the F5J guys flying today got above 100 meters, so my one good flight that got to 94 meters was quite an achievement. 

A great launch straight into the best lift I had found all day, and I blew it by flying straight out the other side of it into the sink. There was quite a bit of wind blowing across the field, and I managed to get back downwind and find the same lift again. I had to bail out quite early or getting back to the field may not have been possible, I knew the current target, the last 30 seconds today were a real squeeze to get there.

1901019368_November5th2021.thumb.png.ba32f16d8fa808fb8ed1fda85f5329a6.png

Hacker motor / gearbox combination in my Purito let me down today, when the smoke escaped, (cause to be investigated) so Circle Dancer was called into action and saved the session.

Fish Meadow

Circle Dancer F5RES

Flight time claimed 6 minutes 42 seconds

• Like 1