Fastest day out I can remember

Ian F3F

With sods law coming into full affect this weekend, the day the Welsh league could not be held on turned out to be an epic day on the VR '98 slope.  This legendary slope did not disappoint.  It was great to  meet up with some good friends and see the dark Lord Dakin take the Device to some scary quick speeds.  After taking the chance to give the Dark Lord a go with my Falcon- I really found out what it can do!  The grin of Greg's face probably said it all as he ripped up the slope-Tested tough!

My Falcon must have remembered Greg's thumbs- my next flight and the air became that type of epic, smooth rocket quick and easy to fly.  I it has to be the fastest I've ever flown, on or off a course.  If it had been a race today I would probably have watched someone else have that air, but I think we all had a good share today.

I had forgotten how cold a winter Northerly can feel but as I left I just had time to launch Mark's Masterpiece- 26 years old, no ballast and still looking the part.

Hopefully some pictures to come but what a day!  

• Like 5

And here is said Falcon of Ian's doing it's stuff on VR98...

(Three cropped/resized images to give a flavour if I've done it correctly..!)

AQ4W6161-sized.JPG

AQ4W6205-sized.JPG

AQ4W6457-sized.JPG

• Like 2

It was big conditions, later it was too much with winds increasing even more after about 2pm.

Are there any more pics of the other models flown?

A pretty amazing few hours of flying in bitterly cold conditions. I think that most pilots enjoyed at least one slot of spectacularly powerful air - it was certainly memorable, that's for sure. Personally, I've only flown on the VR98 a couple of times and never really 'got it' as the compression didn't seem as strong as the Crest or the Wrecker. However, I've quickly come to realise that the blend of slope lift and thermal activity puts the overall 'lift package' into the stratosphere when conditions come 'on'. Superb entertainment!!

A few pics of the new machine to supplement those of Ian's Falcon, all courtesy of ace photographer, Mr Fram!!!

AQ4W6313.JPG

AQ4W6238.JPG

• Like 1

It sure is Dave, the airframe seems to glow in the dark (I kid you not). I daren't put a geiger counter on it.... 😊 

Greg

• Like 1

And I'm not sure how many of the other guys noticed this bunch passing (and holding up the traffic) but it was interesting to see them trudging across the top after climbing up!

AQ4W6598sized.JPG

Name that plane!

Vintage f3f from Mark Passingham - this masterpiece has been around a bit, but still flies like it owns the skies...

AQ4W6604sized.JPG

• Like 2

Shot of the day...honest!

Now this is just me being a photographer - the composition isn't anything spectacular, and there is no glint on the wing or impression of speed - but this photograph (a heavy crop and enhanced image) shows just how well modern camera gear can focus on slim, fast moving subjects, and just what you can drag out from the raw files. In the shot as taken, this is virtually a silhouette, but in this version you can even see the colouration of the stripes on the wings...

Mr Passingham's Ultima - at range, not a lot to focus on, going bl**dy quickly, carving through a turn... and nailed! 👍

AQ4W6430-played.JPG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rat_Salad said:

Shot of the day...honest!

Now this is just me being a photographer - the composition isn't anything spectacular, and there is no glint on the wing or impression of speed - but this photograph (a heavy crop and enhanced image) shows just how well modern camera gear can focus on slim, fast moving subjects, and just what you can drag out from the raw files. In the shot as taken, this is virtually a silhouette, but in this version you can even see the colouration of the stripes on the wings...

Mr Passingham's Ultima - at range, not a lot to focus on, going bl**dy quickly, carving through a turn... and nailed! 👍

AQ4W6430-played.JPG

I do feel that modern cameras and to an extent phones have now taken the fun out of photography ...you bang off 500 shots  take them home manipulate the hell out of them in lightroom   and job done ......I got much more satisfaction from photography 40 yrs ago 

Just my 2c