12th 2021 F3-RES/F5-RES Combined 14 day duration postal

martynk

A placeholder for the 12th 2021 F3-RES/F5-RES Combined 14 day duration postal.

This is an experimental event and the rules may be altered for subsequent challenges.

Please submit your score below. The 14 day clock will start when the first score is submitted and will restart if and when the current high score has been beaten.

This is a for fun challenge for UK based pilots, anyone may enter with EITHER 

1. a bungee-launched glider up to 2 metres wingspan and the standard Hi-Start can post a time. The standard Hi-Start bungee is a maximum of 10m of 6/4mm surgical tubing and 50m of static line (minimum 30lb breaking strain). Lighter/smaller bungee rubber may be used.

OR

2. an Electric motor launched glider up to 2 metre wingspan fitted with an Altitude Limiter set to 60m and a maximum motor run time of 20 seconds.

Object: Fly your 2 metre wingspan glider for as long as possible from a flat field, the person who's time is unbeaten for 14 days 'wins' and a new challenge starts.

Rules:

Flight times begin when line releases from the tow-hook or in the case of an electric motor powered glider, 20 seconds after the hand launch. The model must land in the launch field for times to count. While the object is to encourage F3/F5-RES types, any model up to 2 metre span may be flown (F3/F5-RES, foam, R/E mouldie) but please state the type of model with your time. Note that ailerons or other camber changing devices fitted are no longer permitted, even if disabled. 

All scoring flights must start with a hand release from Ground Level

No Flight information telemetry permitted except for Received signal strength and Receiver battery status.

Fly safely! No slope soaring

Graham Lorimer

Someone had to start this round, so after a very nice day flying F5J at Fish Meadow yesterday, climbing to 200 meters on occasion, I was hopeful of similar conditions for the 2 meter today.

As the best flight below shows, it was not to be. Lots of launches and 2 minutes was hard work from 60 meters, zero lift and very damp air.

After about 15 attempts, I accepted that this would be a very beatable target for you all to chase, but it is a start and I should get some points for perseverance..

I claim a measly 2 minutes 46 seconds

Purito

Fish Meadow.

Graham

November 29th.png

John Minchell

Graham

That is 2 minutes and 46 seconds more than I am likely to do - without a local field where I can regularly go and fly.

John M

I lost my local field too ☹️ 3 months with no flying is long time for me.   If the weather allows hoping to get a weekend flight in before or over Xmas at new location.

Same here, lost my flat flying field to the farmers plough and the sites close to me come with a definite slope element (Baildon Moor). Hoping I can find somewhere local so I can get out in the New Year and play  with the newly built Purito E.

Brian

New table.. Keep persevering

image.thumb.png.1895f58c8fb2bf80306434dc5af2e527.png

Its a start.

For info, this is the last challenge for 2021. I'll open a new one for 2022 on the 1st of January or when this one ends, whichever is the latest.

Hope that is OK with everyone..

Martyn

Weather looks pretty poor between now and the 13 th.   Wouldn't be surprised if Graham's "measley" time wins.    Maybe some ballast and brave winter flying needed 😀.  Good luck all.

On 29/11/2021 at 19:10, Graham Lorimer said:

Someone had to start this round, so after a very nice day flying F5J at Fish Meadow yesterday, climbing to 200 meters on occasion, I was hopeful of similar conditions for the 2 meter today.

As the best flight below shows, it was not to be. Lots of launches and 2 minutes was hard work from 60 meters, zero lift and very damp air.

After about 15 attempts, I accepted that this would be a very beatable target for you all to chase, but it is a start and I should get some points for perseverance..

I claim a measly 2 minutes 46 seconds

2:46 .......... I dream of that.

2:15 was my best shot, and that was only because I launched into 15+seconds of better air.

Dec1.thumb.jpg.353d3c7377441494c980fe0312217f03.jpg

Graham Lorimer

Nice one Anthony

Glad I am not the only one struggling to get much more than 2 minutes.

It ain't easy in this cold damp weather.

GL

42 minutes ago, Graham Lorimer said:

Nice one Anthony

Glad I am not the only one struggling to get much more than 2 minutes.

It ain't easy in this cold damp weather.

GL

The wind dropped as the rain came in, and when the rain stopped, the 10kt wind was back.

So this was done with >600g of BombayDuck. There are trees to my north and as it was a (cold) north wind it came through the trees. At anywhere near tree height, it really bounced - hence the steep part to landing. There is a long bit after I landed (on chart) because it was 20+m away...... I started in high enough and it was just sucked down. Try again tomorrow !

WindHere.thumb.png.63dcc2d90aa91e1030a497604ae89490.png

Dec2Full.thumb.jpg.f6657560cf3a9ae0cf76487392fb02e2.jpg

Blue sky, a little high cloud and COLD. 9mph north wind.

It was going to be just the same as yesterday, so I just stood there watching for bird activity. I got cold, so after about 15mins I launched and I had a reasonable flight. I had decided not to use any spoiler, but to just keep it in the air until it touched down.

Being cold, I picked the model up to walk back, then I saw a Kestrel. It was just sat there, wings outstretched, hovering. So I went for another go. The Kestrel was way above 60m, so I aimed a bit up wind of it. Neither of us seemed to go up (or come down) and looking at the graph, that was for about 1 minute. Then the Kestrel left – flying far faster than I could.

Dec2.thumb.jpg.df255915e71ec727c58e1d62ef5c1f52.jpg

There were a couple of periods where my glider was going backwards, due to gusts. So it would have been silly following any thermal, even if there was one. I would not have got back.

I'm claiming 3:18.

A cold looking Bombay Duck........

BomDuDec.thumb.JPG.d783c60f9b5da6e6f4f683241b53aa2a.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got out yesterday for first fly in 3 months.  Rain held off, but overcast and very little in the way of lift.   Wind gradually increased through the day, but so did temps and there was some very light lift to be found around 2 PM.    My best opportunity was a gaggle of seagulls circling in lift, sadly I saw them too late and they were already heading down wind.

My bungee is in need of replacement, it's currently around 7 meters in length and tends to fail every 10 launches.  At times i was struggling to get over 40 meters.

My best flight was 3:01,  which was hard work after a 40 meter launch.  Although in lift, I was heading towards a road so had to bail, I picked up some more light lift low down on landing approach.    Certainly no records broken but nice to be out after so long.

High pressure looks to be arriving Tuesday all the way through to Xmas. Hopefully we get some sun too.

res-dec-12th.thumb.JPG.00eed6db2eba6b7e1b7ccc351a9255b3.JPG

David - 3:01,  Dec 11th.

• Like 1

Nice one David (and Anthony and Graham).

Yes calmer weather on the way this coming week... time to lovingly blow the dust off myPuRES.

3 hours ago, cirrusRC said:

Got out yesterday for first fly in 3 months.  Rain held off, but overcast and very little in the way of lift.   Wind gradually increased through the day, but so did temps and there was some very light lift to be found around 2 PM.    My best opportunity was a gaggle of seagulls circling in lift, sadly I saw them too late and they were already heading down wind.

My bungee is in need of replacement, it's currently around 7 meters in length and tends to fail every 10 launches.  At times i was struggling to get over 40 meters.

My best flight was 3:01,  which was hard work after a 40 meter launch.  Although in lift, I was heading towards a road so had to bail, I picked up some more light lift low down on landing approach.    Certainly no records broken but nice to be out after so long.

That was good - I would say that you launched 10% lower than me. At full height, you would have done 10% better. That would have given you 3:19 - Phew !

I thought my plane bounces a lot - looking at the graph, yours bounces as much.

Well, that is it for the year. Thank you all for taking part.

Please refer to the League Table for the final standings and some controversy...

We will start again on the 1st January 2022

Merry Christmas and a happy new year.