Small z-bends in fine wire

oipigface

oipigface

I’ve got a pair of pliers that will make Z-bends of about 3/16” but I want to make some about 1/3 that size. Does anyone know how to do this?

Justin Mellor

Yes - put the wire in a vice with just a very small length protruding. Knock that over at 90 degrees perpendicular to the vice jaws.

Remove the wire from the vice and put the end of the wire, with the 90 degree bend, into the jaws and clamp as shown in the picture below.

Then knock that over at 90 degrees perpendicular to the vice jaws.

You will now have two 90 degree bends close together, but the two bends will be in different axes. This is often fine for servo linkages.

In order to create a proper Z-bend from this, you will need to clamp both of the bends between the faces of the vice jaws to flatten them out, then tweak them a little to get the bends to 90 degree again.

Hope this helps - works for me - Justin

ZBend.png

• Like 3

steveburns

For small wire I made a pair of pliers for making the bends.

Pics attached ore of a 0.8mm wire being bent. Pliers were from one of the tool stands at the market/nationals for about £1. Process should be pretty obvious from the pictures.

Steve

IMG_4078.jpg

IMG_4072.jpg

IMG_4073.jpg

IMG_4074.jpg

IMG_4076.jpg

IMG_4077.jpg

oipigface

Love the diagram, Justin!
I tried it that way, but the wire I’ve got isn’t up to the stress of being straightened.

I’ll go and get some cheap pliers, Steve. Your idea looks very promising, and the resulting bend looks perfect. Am I right in thinking that the width of the bend is controlled by the distance between the groove and the outside edge of the jaw?

I’ve been working on a different idea, which I haven’t perfected yet, but looks promising:

Take a piece of GRP a little smaller than the size of the Z-bend you want. Drill a hole the same diameter as the wire. Thread the wire through and fold it over both sides.

1DC7CB6C-C4E0-46C1-A8FA-E3DE48088B30.thumb.jpeg.6c7311bd0b8650ab53e8ea33ce6af1eb.jpeg.

This attempt was made with 1.5mm GRP. The wire is 0.5mm. The bend has come out at about 2mm, so probably using 1mm GRP would get closer to the target 1.5mm bend. Trouble is, I haven’t got any that thin. Wire as thin as this bends easily, but rapidly gives in to fatigue.

9788641B-11F1-42B6-8652-547E8DC4821B.thumb.jpeg.f821181e8c7aed69a1b31e85e2d24d58.jpeg

Looks a bit sloppy to me!

steveburns
17 hours ago, oipigface said:

I’ll go and get some cheap pliers, Steve. Your idea looks very promising, and the resulting bend looks perfect. Am I right in thinking that the width of the bend is controlled by the distance between the groove and the outside edge of the jaw?

Hi

Correct, the distance from the edge controls the size of the middle bit of the Z bend. You can get a couple of options out of one pair of pliers. I think I used a Dremel cut off wheel to make the slot.

Steve