Battery help?

MikevE

Morning all! I'm struggling to find batteries for the Eternity F5J and for my Shinto Electric. I did manage to get two Thunder Rampage 4S 70C LiPos, but loads of stuff is out of stock everywhere or won't ship to the UK. Does anyone know of suitably sized batteries?

Hi Mike,

I'm using a 3S 1350mah 50C battery from Overlander, which gives me 2, possibly 3 climb outs to 200m for GPS Triangle Racing. A friend is using the same battery in his Shinto.

• Like 1

Hobbyrc.co.uk   seem to have recently stocked up on batteries.  A lot of them are the well regarded GNB make, although I've not tried any myself, yet.   I've got some 3s on order.    I don't know if any will be the right size for your needs.....          

• Like 1

I use the 1350 3S Overlander in my Eternity.  Still get a reasonable climb rate at max weight.  A climb to 200m+ only takes about 350mA out of the battery

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cirrusRC said:

Curious, given cost of model. I assume you are using separate battery to power RX?  What do you use?

I don’t use a separate Rx battery, but I do use a high end ESC with high power BEC and telemetry, so I can keep a very close eye on battery condition.  If properly designed, the failure rate of the electronics in a BEC is a lot lower than the probability of connector/wiring faults.  On bigger models I do have the Rx fed from two batteries using a Jeti consolidation switch

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cirrusRC said:

Curious, given cost of model. I assume you are using separate battery to power RX?  What do you use?

I did wonder about such a setup for my Shinto and Eternity, but haven't gotten that far yet. I'm using an FrSky G-RX8 in both models, or will be. I'm not sure how I'd wire up a spare RX battery as described? The only thing I've seen close to this is someone using a separate BEC and the BEC from the ESC to provide more power to the servos, and he used a diode on each BEC supply. (This was because he was flying a lightweight foamie 3D plane, and the ESC couldn't supply enough power for the MKS servos he'd put in there).

FWIW I'm also considering putting a second failsafe receiver in there too. Each of these models are not so cheap.

Edited by MikevE

7 hours ago, MikevE said:

I did wonder about such a setup for my Shinto and Eternity, but haven't gotten that far yet. I'm using an FrSky G-RX8 in both models, or will be. I'm not sure how I'd wire up a spare RX battery as described? The only thing I've seen close to this is someone using a separate BEC and the BEC from the ESC to provide more power to the servos, and he used a diode on each BEC supply. (This was because he was flying a lightweight foamie 3D plane, and the ESC couldn't supply enough power for the MKS servos he'd put in there).

FWIW I'm also considering putting a second failsafe receiver in there too. Each of these models are not so cheap.

Have a look at the excellent article on here  by Mike Evans, regarding how he fitted out his pike Precision 2 electric fuselage. I know it’s a different manufacturer, you might be able to adapt the layout like he has done. He has managed to fit a 2200 3s, and a separate receiver battery ( 18500 2s li-ion ) behind the wing joiner. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mikeb52 said:

Have a look at the excellent article on here  by Mike Evans, regarding how he fitted out his pike Precision 2 electric fuselage. I know it’s a different manufacturer, you might be able to adapt the layout like he has done. He has managed to fit a 2200 3s, and a separate receiver battery ( 18500 2s li-ion ) behind the wing joiner. 

Ah yes, thanks! I was meaning more the electrical connection setup As with Mike's glider I think there is enough room and enough C of G flexibility to fit the receiver battery. :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MikevE said:

I did wonder about such a setup for my Shinto and Eternity, but haven't gotten that far yet. I'm using an FrSky G-RX8 in both models, or will be. I'm not sure how I'd wire up a spare RX battery as described? The only thing I've seen close to this is someone using a separate BEC and the BEC from the ESC to provide more power to the servos, and he used a diode on each BEC supply.

This is a ‘posh’ consolidation device for two Rx supplies, that also passes the ESC signal - I use this in my Ikura:

https://www.esoaringgadgets.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=46_108&products_id=565

It can be done more simply with a pair of consolidation diodes connected at the cathodes and on to the Rx positive supply.  Each of the anodes goes to a separate supply.

• Thanks 1

Have now made up a battery back up, to cover a power failure, that I suffered recently, on advice of others who have experienced it. There are arguments for and against using a back up, but if it saves an expensive model, has to be worth it.

It was the first time in 56 years RC flying that I have had a failure with a radio, apart from when on 27 megs through persons switching on, on the same frequency

Have added another Altis Graph, showing voltage drop at the end of graph.

BARCS 230

Altis problem.jpg

• Like 1

You only lose one expensive model to a bad connection (faulty xt60 plug )to realize a battery back up is a sensible inclusion in our models.

I,m not sure where but I believe Colin P wrote and article that is on this web site.

and covers building a simple one cell lipo back up using schottky diode .

Only weighs a few grm and small enough to fit most models .

G

• Like 1

On 04/12/2021 at 18:27, Stormeflyer said:

This is a great link regarding battery backup using Schottky Diodes.

I may have missed it, but how would you know, as to when the back up kicked in. On the system that  I have just made up, with advice from Colin Paddon, using a Castle Creation Ubec set to 5.7V, when you disconnect the main battery lipo, the single cell lipo takes over registering 4.7 V. Tis is coupled via telemetry, to give a landing warning as to it having approx 5 minutes + to get down safely.

12 minutes ago, EssexBOF said:

I may have missed it, but how would you know, as to when the back up kicked in. On the system that  I have just made up, with advice from Colin Paddon, using a Castle Creation Ubec set to 5.7V, when you disconnect the main battery lipo, the single cell lipo takes over registering 4.7 V. Tis is coupled via telemetry, to give a landing warning as to it having approx 5 minutes + to get down safely.

Pretty much the same way - you get a drop in voltage. In my glider's case, I'm measuring the voltage of the LiPo via the TGE telemetry sensor.