Steel wing spar/joiner F3F

Al Morgan

Im interested in sorting a solid steel spar for my F3F Extreme. I am a mechanical engineer by trade and have produced a cad drawing for the part I want but the machinist I use is not so sure about machining the part without distortion. Could someone please shed some light on the subject of solid wing spars, the machining method and possible suppliers. Are the spars machined from solid? is the part machined flat and then a fold produced (seems unlikely). 

Thanks in advance, Alex.

When I have made steel joiners it was from a single billet.

Straight forward job really. Machine the 2 angles on the underside then turn over and sit on ground parallels to machine the top faces.

I did go as far as finishing the part on a surface grinder once but it's really not necessary.

It will most likely spring a bit. Rough it to shape all over leaving a 40 to 60 thou on it all over. It will do all its springing at this stage then you can finish machine it.