FxRES January 2022 2m F3L/F5-RES Monthly Duration Challenge

martynk

This is a placeholder for the January 2022 2m F3L/F5-RES Duration Challenge. Please submit your scores below:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a for fun challenge for UK based pilots, anyone may enter with EITHER 

1. a bungee-launched glider up to 2 metres wingspan and the standard Hi-Start can post a time. The standard Hi-Start bungee is a maximum of 10m of 6/4mm surgical tubing and 50m of static line (minimum 30lb breaking strain). Lighter/smaller bungee rubber may be used.

OR

2. an Electric motor launched glider up to 2 metre wingspan fitted with an Altitude Limiter set to 60m and a maximum motor run time of 20 seconds.

Object: Fly your 2 metre wingspan glider for as long as possible from a flat field. The challenge will commence on the 1st day of the Calendar month and  the person who's time is unbeaten at the end of the Calendar Month 'wins' and a new challenge will start. The challenge will end on the 31st December 2022.

Rules:

Flight times begin when the line releases from the tow-hook or in the case of an electric motor powered glider, 20 seconds after the hand launch. The model must land in the launch field for times to count. While the object is to encourage F3L/F5-RES types, any model up to 2 metre span may be flown (F3L/F5-RES, foam, R/E mouldie) but please state the type of model when you submit your time. Note that ailerons or other camber changing devices fitted are no longer permitted, even if disabled. 

Scoring flights must be submitted within 24 hours of the flight taking place.

All scoring flights must start with a hand release from Ground Level with (if applicable), the motor running.

No Flight information telemetry permitted except for Received signal strength and Receiver battery status.

Submitted scores will be amalgamated into a league. Points will be awarded as follows:  1st -15 points, 2nd - 12points, 3rd - 10points, 4th to 12th, 9 to 1 point respectively.

The top 7 scoring flights to count. In the event of a tie, the 8th scoring flight will be taken into consideration and so on.

Fly safely! No slope soaring

Graham Lorimer

Hi Martyn

Can you please explain this please, I don't quite understand, is this different from the 2021 year?

The top 7 scoring flights to count. In the event of a tie, the 8th scoring flight will be taken into consideration and so on.

Thanks

Graham

Hi Graham

Its what I used to do before this year although as entries were low it was never a problem.

It refers to the league to determine the overall winner.

Broadly, it means that for the final placing, only an individuals top 7 placings count (e.g. if they were 1st, 2nd, 4th, 7th, 1st, 3rd, 5th, 8th, 2nd, 3rd then 8th, 7th and 5th places would be dropped for the final score). 

Does that make sense? The idea is to allow for occasional bad entries and or absences but still encourage people to fly all year round.

Graham Lorimer

Thanks for the explanation Martyn

I would have thought there is far more incentive to fly all year round, as I have done this year, if all scores count.

An occasional bad entry, or an absence, gives others more of a chance to catch up, but if that becomes a dropped score, it makes it more difficult for the best flyers to be beaten, I think this years points bear that out.

In August this year I had to undergo some serious surgery, but planning before and after meant that persistence has given me the top 12 month score, but if dropped scores prevail, I have been beaten by, without doubt, the best pilot. None the less, if the aim of the competition is to get competitors out and flying, all scores should count.

Just my two bobs worth.

Have a Happy New year to all competitors.

Graham

No worries Graham.  If others feel that more should count, I am more then happy to change that. Perhaps the top events would be a better option.

There is nothing hard and fast in the rules

Graham Lorimer

Hi Martyn

What do you mean "the top events would be a better option"?

Please explain, I may be being a little thick.

Graham

On 01/01/2022 at 16:13, Graham Lorimer said:

Hi Martyn

What do you mean "the top events would be a better option"?

Please explain, I may be being a little thick.

Graham

Sorry. That was a typo.  It was meant to read the top 9 events... 

The idea was to recognise that not everyone could get the time to fly in the 14 day challenge.  However, now we have moved to a monthly challenge that may no longer be relevant.  

What do others think?  All to count or the top 'n'  events? If 'n', then how many events should count.  Tbh, it's easier for me if all events count and as Graham points out, it rewards perseverance. 

Graham Lorimer

Thanks Martyn, I'm relieved it was a typo, and not me being obtuse.

I definitely like all events to count, and I truly believe (as in my case) it encourages more flying.

Graham

• 2 weeks later...

This session started at flight 13. Perfectly still, no breeze day, and certainly no lift. Perfect for a 400g model with no brakes.

I am happy with 3 climbs and then the battery goes off a little.

Jan11Three.thumb.jpg.a302864a402836bff4ff04bb9a194589.jpg

This was more for setting up the plane than entering this – but I might as well.

On the fourth launch (battery change) the canopy flew off. The sticker with Op No had stopped it from closing.

After 10 mins I found it !!!!

The best flight was No.23. At this point I was playing at “gaming” the height switch. I know it (always) takes 18sec to get to 20m (why only 3 flights) – so at about 15 – 16sec, you level out and gain speed, then zoom. If you think you can judge 57m you are a lot better than me !

Jan11Best.thumb.jpg.5e76d156fb6fefa045f31522750feb5f.jpg

OK – I let it stall, but that still gave me excess speed and after 25sec it had only lost 2m.......... Works for me.

Jan11game.thumb.jpg.f10ea17ef9d7a6f487089377d3c1bb4e.jpg

This flight was 4:02 and so less 20sec …........ I claim 3:42......... In still air.

This model is still at 50W in the air, no extra power.

It climbs at 3.87m/sec – give or take a fraction.

There will always be 2 sec from open throttle to release.

If I doubled the power to 100W, it would climb faster and the “zoom dive” could be well off, too early or too late. This lower power gives far better consistency.

After another 50 launches, I will get it right !

Jan11fullClimb.thumb.jpg.85b977418dd472eb0d8008176fbc7740.jpg

Had my first session of the year with the PuRES today.

Clear and sunny, mostly very calm, grass still wet even though it was already after lunchtime.  Had left my sunglasses in my car (which is at the garage draining my bank account) so totally avoided flying anywhere towards the low sun in the south.

I had several flights of between 2:30 to 3:00 minutes over about an hour of effectively dead-air flying - typically getting 65m launch heights off my original HK bungee - then an eventual best of 4:16 with the co-operation of a very weak thermal.

Jon - PuRES - F3RES - 4:16 mins

• Like 1

Happy New Table everyone..

Great Start

image.png.5801051dee9cc6b3c2dc70d09be30cc7.png

I am grounded at the moment- Wife is ill and builders needing my attention at spasmodic but important intervals... <sigh>

Wow, Jon - "grass still wet even though it was already after lunchtime."  It has been dripping wet all day every day for the last 4 months here in the frozen Tundra. I did 14 flights, I did not find the slightest signs of lift in any. Checking the flight logs, there were also no signs of anything lifting. When I landed after the first flight, I shook a lot of the surplus water off. After that I did not bother. I was tempted to take a dry tissue, weigh it and then wipe off the water and re-weigh. I will the next session - too windy today................. Well done.

Anthony, it has been pretty miserable down here for anything approaching thermal stuff for absolute ages, although I did get in some lovely slope soaring on small local hills on two or three occasions in the last couple of weeks... until today's outing with the PuRES.

Whilst it wasn't exactly classic thermal conditions, the fact is that the ground must have been at least slightly warmed by the low sun relative to its coldness at the start of day so, in addition to the potential for the very slight breeze to trip something on my local open field, something, however weak, was bound to happen eventually.

The graph below shows my 4 minute-ish 'baby-boomer' followed by more of the usual 2 to 3 minute stuff which appear, by contrast, as almost perfectly straight right-angle triangles.

Very happy with my launch-heights, the better ones as least hitting between 65 and 70m.  How much this is to do with my habit of doing an overarm vertical throw on launch I don't know?

1522167530_Screenshot2022-01-12at19_55_37.thumb.png.6dae912732eb081a70c45dce99566374.png

Thanks for the reply Jon. I had the same at Christmas - a taste at 60m. I am new to starting so low and if I had done the normal 170 - 200m launch, by the time I was down to 60m I would have given up. So it is a whole new challenge, and loving it. I have Pendle Hill (great slope) just 10mins up the road. Every time I look, it is in cloud or snow. E-launch is just easier.

mikef, Purito-emf, F5-RES, 13/01/2022, 5:28

I had nine flights starting at about 1240 today.  Very wet underfoot clear sky and pleasant 5 deg C ish in the sunshine.

Straight into lift on the first flight and soon got centred.  Spent about a minute climbing gently for about 15m height gain then lost it and could only find a little sustaining help on the way down.  4:43 -20s = 4:23.  See first picture.

That was the only flight that gained any real height after the motor stopped

The third flight was the best 5:48 - 20s = 5:28.  No real climbing - just scratching for reduced descent rates.  See 2nd picture.

634C7118-797B-4912-8709-8B4ECEC33FC1.jpeg

2CE544C1-C522-4F0F-8647-61069205DD9B.jpeg

In case it's of interest - here's the data for all 9 flights today.  Three climbs on each 350mAh 3s lipo.

Battery from flights 1, 2 and 3 was just below 3.8v per cell at the end from fully charged at  the start.

FC871FEF-7D5C-423D-8958-A2DAA902DC7C.jpeg

2 hours ago, mikef said:

just scratching for reduced descent rates

Yes, that's the game at the moment - but well done Mike for raising the bar very nicely!

Been inside most of the day, so thought I would have a quick fly.

Cool but totally windless, it would be a shame to miss a good chance to do more trim flights and test a new battery and zoom. Made almost 68m on 4th motor run at 6.8v.

Felt something at start of first flight, but nothing came of it.

After the first run, the voltage was 7.9v – it dipped to 7.2v with motor.

Jan14FstV.thumb.jpg.3ecc03fb8095de4ee6c9df154e42b07f.jpg

Had 3 flights and should have gone back. For some silly reason I decided to go again. The voltage dipped to 6.8v with motor on, recovering to 7.6v after – so plenty for just a glide. This I only know after, but I check, it is good to know.

Jan14Voltage.thumb.jpg.85c1824611a34aae025ef91d42b82351.jpg

On last flight, it seemed to go up so I stayed there, then it was clearly coming down. Moved away 50yds back and another bounce. It did not come down so I just circled. I was joined twice by gulls, but it did not work for them. Then it seemed to come down and it was back on the ground quite quickly. The model was a good 100yds away after the first few minutes and was not good to see. I took my dark glasses off and all was good again – it was starting to go dark.

Jan14End.thumb.png.cd13788b7821afba743ec92291ae2d83.png

Now this was pure luck (the more I fly the luckier I get).

However, I am loving it, so fly when I can.

HarrHee – 12:16 less 20sec = 11:56.

Oh and here is the zoom on the last flight........

Jan14Zoom.thumb.jpg.3525ed86da68e8f223c417900c9155d1.jpg

• Like 1