FxRES January 2022 2m F3L/F5-RES Monthly Duration Challenge

martynk

This was flight 30. For some reason I did the dive AFTER the motor had cut. (It is very quiet though). Which is why you can outsmart yourself.

Flight30.thumb.jpg.60dbe80b531bf3914a9826aed6b02593.jpg

It was actually into lift, but the lift was so weak the glider did not actually go up. That does not really matter, so long as you don't come down.

I don't think that lift would have even registered with my normal heavier model. And that is what I find amazing.

I can't wait to finish my new one, which is slimmer and shorter and (should be) 60g lighter (at least) than this 400g one.

TwoFuz.thumb.JPG.75723691ee3831ca2d398c6436bab411.JPG

StraightEdge

Yes, well done Anthony.

Just to say however that I find the profusion of graphs with all the extra data and different scaling a bit confusing - it took me a few minutes to work out which one I should be looking at.

3 minutes ago, StraightEdge said:

Yes, well done Anthony.

Just to say however that I find the profusion of graphs with all the extra data and different scaling a bit confusing - it took me a few minutes to work out which one I should be looking at.

Ah, sorry, that is what I have always done. I would always do the full flight and the landing. The landing (magnified) so that you can see the moment of landing, to the second. Personally I was interested in how a new battery performed. It does spoil a graph though. I am also interested in zooming the launch, and I assumed others may be, so that got posted............... Just trying to help, but can cut down if wanted.

3 minutes ago, StraightEdge said:

Yes, well done Anthony.

Ah, sorry, that is what I have always done. I would always do the full flight and the landing. The landing (magnified) so that you can see the moment of landing, to the second. Personally I was interested in how a new battery performed. It does spoil a graph though. I am also interested in zooming the launch, and I assumed others may be, so that got posted............... Just trying to help, but can cut down if wanted.

The full flight, chopped on throttle open to give flight length. It also shows the full throttle trace and the fact that it is set at 60m. Last part gives the landing time. A voltage trace also shows that no motor was used. The magnified end also shows the 6 seconds it took to bend down and unplug the battery, obviously I landed very close.

StraightEdge

It is interesting, and very useful to see information on battery usage - I'm planning on making an electric-launch 2mRES at some point for flying sites where my bungee isn't feasible.

Well done again on the excellent January result!  I could have gone out again today, but I'd agreed to join others flying IC aerobatics at the main club site where bungees can't be employed as they upset the whole circuit/no-fly zone setup.  But while there I watched enviously as a tribe of red kites were thermal soaring high off a south-facing hill to our east.  There was no slope lift at all (in fact what gentle zephyrs there were came from the north-east, behind the slope) but I reckoned the slope was in effect perpendicular to the low sun and therefore being warmed well in excess of the surrounding terrain.

Jon, long ago I did bungee, but as you say, they don't mix with the IC at my local (power) club.

I had been working on things, all day - BUT - I was constantly looking out of the window. We have at least 3 Buzzards and 2 Kestrels, very local. They were certainly not about today. I did observe groups of gulls flapping, but round in circles........ I would guess they are in lift, but too weak to raise them up on glide, so they flap and rise faster than just flapping in a straight line. .......... I just cannot stop watching.

So when there is no lift - What do Kestrels do ?

They sit in your garden and look moody.

Kestrel.thumb.JPG.5cfbe948255051150c987ea3d7b7d553.JPG

I managed to get out today. My best flight was a mere 3:53 (after 20 seconds have been deducted). Normally, I would be delighted with that but I am in better company now :D

image.thumb.png.70974c6d38a530d21e9611fe9423d963.png

Updated table in a moment

Kudos Anthony, that's a good flight for cold January.   Appreciated the discussion on the graphs as I was a bit confused at first.

Sat :  misty start,  cold, wet, muddy, grey but around 6mph winds.   Lost the wing bolt on my X-RES so no F3-RES flights.     Dad not able to fly anymore so gifted me his Fantasia 100" and Andreas F5-RES.   Still on his old hi-tec kit at the moment but had some reasonable flights and one decent climb out with the Andreas.     Perishing cold.

Sun :  misty start, wet and muddy,  but forecast was for sun later.  Wind 7-10mph.    Great advert for F5-RES models!    Wasted the first hour with the bungee,   the braided line had slipped off the winder and ended up in a knotted mess.   That's now in the bin.      Resorted to the old back up white bungee but that couldn't get much over 30 meters so that is also now in the bin.   Ended up cobbling together the 7 meter tan tubing and the old static fishing line.      With the wind direction,  the length was inch perfect for the width of the field on full stretch.     Was able to launch to just under 60 meters.        

Sun started to break through but the wind was increasing.   2nd launch I got away but rapidly disappeared downwind,   managed to slowly creep up wind without losing too much height,   picked up some more lift and followed that back at a decent rate of climb.   Tried to push forward again but model was starting to drift backwards.    I got a bit greedy and circled in more lift but went even further downwind.       Started to lean on the elevator to push forward, thinking 15-20 mins was on the cards.     Suddenly like a light switch the wind increased to 12-15mph!     I stuck with it thinking it was only temporary but turned out it was like that for the rest of the afternoon.      I was in full speed mode, losing a lot of height and not exactly speeding forward.    Ballast would have been useful at this point.

I made it over the hedge with a few feet to spare, narrowly missed sticking it in a tree and made the field by about 2 meters!!   Not my finest moment but I was pleased with the flight given the less-than-ideal conditions.   Surprisingly good lift for January.        I switched to the DLG for first time in a long time and had some good climb outs with it.   It penetrates like a rocket compared to the X-RES.

16th-JAN-RES.thumb.JPG.807b58febb78a07db625e24281c8224c.JPG

High pressure for this coming week,  hopefully it lasts until next weekend.

X-RES | 16th Jan | 13m 5seconds

• Like 2

Well, that is exactly what happened to me. I was out testing my new lighter model (355g) and (though still testing) decided to work some lift. Yes the wind was also coming up.

Decided I was too far away and set off back. The wind built up and the sink got greater and I was never going to make it back. I just opened up the motor, climbed and powered forward.

I had started testing / trimming with no wind and the SSW wind slowly built up, but had not been a problem, perhaps caused overconfidence.

Very well done on the 13:05.

Emergency.thumb.jpg.e5984ef4ac6aca939fd73007974d4d3e.jpg

47 minutes ago, cirrusRC said:

Anthony, is that ready to fly weight?  Impressively light for an F5-RES model.

Yes that is flying weight. I have a 400g one and this is the new lighter version. The fuz is finished, which is above. It was on the wings from the other above. I am hoping to go lighter when wings are finished. I made a case that it would be possible to build down to 310g. It is, but would get a little too expensive.

The present problem being 30g of prop and spinner and 35g of motor. Also the motor mount (glass) which all adds up.

Here it is with "wrong" wings...........

Mixture.thumb.JPG.20a745b99c7995395f3d4c2659d2acac.JPG

• Like 1

Well done, that's significantly lighter than my X-RES and you have a motor!  I'm jealous

2s battery?  What size?

I guess I have to trade frame weight to give strength to survive launch.

The far one (left) is the 400g one and the nearer (right) one is now flying at 620g. It should be possible to get down to 310g - which would give me a 310g and one double the weight at 620g. Just to confuse things further is the Bombay Duck (620g) with no fuz under wings (low drag) which is the preferred model if the wind comes up. I spent my working life doing 60+ hour weeks - I don't know how to stop doing things !

Two.thumb.JPG.420da3187cc170fee7bf0b4b87b76102.JPGBombDuck.thumb.JPG.a6fed8ac7b75327b98967bb7a813cde4.JPG

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cirrusRC said:

Well done, that's significantly lighter than my X-RES and you have a motor!  I'm jealous

2s battery?  What size?

I guess I have to trade frame weight to give strength to survive launch.

I like to fly a lot and so 600g was always my lower limit.

A bungee launch puts far more stress on an airframe than electric (by a mile).

If you just take a bungee glider and add a motor, you cannot have it right.

Buiding very light has not been a problem, except weeds puncturing the ProFilm Lite (3 times).

There are no brakes - but in very light conditions, no problem......... It will spin well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• martynk changed the title to FxRES January 2022 2m F3L/F5-RES Monthly Duration Challenge