Mojo - new F3B/F3F plane

Phil.Taylor

• Phil.Taylor changed the title to Mojo - new F3B/F3F plane

I got one last summer only to have a nasty midair collision after 2 tasks in the first F3B competition of the year. 😢. I did fly it on our seaboard slope twice before that happened though. I was so impressed with it I had new parts made for the F3B model and also ordered an F3F version. It is ready to be maidened. Still waiting for suitable weather and wind direction....  

20210829_134047.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

Phil did you buy one?

In my opinion they do not have the strength required for heavy ballasting in strong conditions.

Saw a brand new one explode mid air after a dive from a big thermal at around 1000ft fully ballasted. It was following a Shinto light fully ballasted and my FS6, neither of which had any trouble

IMG_2702.thumb.jpeg.baff567a144607a2c48cfe5f5eff7850.jpeg

IMG_2701.jpeg

• Sad 1

I believe I've seen this design flying perfectly well at a Welsh Open?

I think we have to be careful to make sweeping judgments over a new design after 1 incident.  I've had nothing to do the production of this model but I know the pitfalls of production and in particular new production.

Ian

• Like 3

Agree, breaking in the air, could easily be as a result of an earlier incident.

Unless the innards bear witness to a faulty build.

The spar was inadequate looked like 3-5mm wide end grain balsa. I trust the owner saying it was uncrashed. Maybe production standards/strengths have increased since the maker was notified. 

Phil.Taylor
On 04/02/2024 at 23:27, Lloyd_d said:

Phil did you buy one?

No - I didnt buy one - it would just have been for the Mondrian scheme.

I stuck with the FS5 - excellent F3F racer - and had a Vantage & FS6 for a while. 

Phil.

Phil.Taylor
On 05/02/2024 at 19:42, Lloyd_d said:

The spar was inadequate looked like 3-5mm wide end grain balsa. I trust the owner saying it was uncrashed. Maybe production standards/strengths have increased since the maker was notified. 

Sad to see an exploded wing like that. Needed more epoxy on the spar when closing up the wing? - not seeing much there.