Hello from a newbie

Karl

Hello all my name Karl, I’m complete wannabe, as I haven’t even started flying, purchased anything as of yet and after help were to start,

is there anywhere i can go to learn to fly,

what simulators are best,

were is nearest club/venue to Stevenage Hertfordshire. Ivinghoe is not out the question for me to travel to but would like somewhere nearer 

thank you in advance 

regards 

karl

Dick Whitehead

This is a forum aimed mainly at gliders so if that is what you are interested in then Ivinghoe may be your best choice.

However, for more general model flying of all types (including some gliders) I often fly at the Luton club at their field between Luton and Hitchin. That is fairly close to you. Contact details on their website http://ldmas.co.uk/

Dick

I would suggest you start with slope soaring as the best way to learn to fly. If the Ivinghoe Beacon is reasonably close that will be the place to go. Gliding is relatively cheap to start with and you will get more stick time more quickly. You may find gliding is your thing, if not move onto something else. Remember that good glider flyers always make good power flyers, the reverse is not always the case.

Picasim is very good as sims go and is a free down load. I have used it on a tablet and it does work well like that. Personally I can't get on with a sim. There is no substitute for the real thing.

I have picasim on an ipad mini.  There's a simple rudder/elevator slope model to learn on - picture below.  The simulation is very good but I use the on-screen joystick which is a two-axis interface that you operate by sliding the 'stick' around with your thumb.  (more advanced aircraft models have both sticks)

The simulation is certainly 'real enough' and you can have thermals, realistic DLG launches and lots of other refinements.  It is a great for initial training aid and a good practising tool if you can't get out.

The down-side is the interface.  I find sliding a thumb on the screen with no 'feel' difficult to do in a subtle way.  The 'stick' does centre if you lift your thumb off and I do that a lot.  I would never do that with a real transmitter.  And I am a thumb and finger flyer in real life - easier to make subtle movements.

Get a simulator with a transmitter-style interface if you can.  I think that's more important than the choice of software - assuming you get one of the well-known programmes.  Picasim is fine.  (I bought Aerofly Pro because it has a Harrier model which is challenging but rewarding to fly - it also comes with a Tx-style controller)

I suppose it might be possible to rig up a Tx-style interface on an ipad but I haven't seen it done.

91FFE998-A2DE-4097-8929-11C894060068.png

• Like 1

John Minchell

The older Phoenix RC simulator was a good system (I paid £80 for the disc and licence set) about 10ish years ago.  Since then the company has stopped and a group of people offer it and the latest upgrades as open software.  So it is now free to download here:-    https://www.rc-thoughts.com/phoenix-sim/ 

It also connects to a TX easily but you will need a "dongle" from Ebay etc. for your brand of Tx.  I use Multiplex and keep a 20+ year old basic Tx the Pico in the office for use on the sim.  But I had to research the pin outs etc and solder up a din plug lead, but Futaba, Spectrum etc can be got without that level of hassle.  Take a look it doesn't cost anything.

HTH John M

13 hours ago, mikef said:

I have picasim on an ipad mini.  There's a simple rudder/elevator slope model to learn on - picture below.  The simulation is very good but I use the on-screen joystick which is a two-axis interface that you operate by sliding the 'stick' around with your thumb.  (more advanced aircraft models have both sticks)

The simulation is certainly 'real enough' and you can have thermals, realistic DLG launches and lots of other refinements.  It is a great for initial training aid and a good practising tool if you can't get out.

The down-side is the interface.  I find sliding a thumb on the screen with no 'feel' difficult to do in a subtle way.  The 'stick' does centre if you lift your thumb off and I do that a lot.  I would never do that with a real transmitter.  And I am a thumb and finger flyer in real life - easier to make subtle movements.

Get a simulator with a transmitter-style interface if you can.  I think that's more important than the choice of software - assuming you get one of the well-known programmes.  Picasim is fine.  (I bought Aerofly Pro because it has a Harrier model which is challenging but rewarding to fly - it also comes with a Tx-style controller)

I suppose it might be possible to rig up a Tx-style interface on an ipad but I haven't seen it done.

91FFE998-A2DE-4097-8929-11C894060068.png

11 hours ago, John Minchell said:

The older Phoenix RC simulator was a good system (I paid £80 for the disc and licence set) about 10ish years ago.  Since then the company has stopped and a group of people offer it and the latest upgrades as open software.  So it is now free to download here:-    https://www.rc-thoughts.com/phoenix-sim/ 

It also connects to a TX easily but you will need a "dongle" from Ebay etc. for your brand of Tx.  I use Multiplex and keep a 20+ year old basic Tx the Pico in the office for use on the sim.  But I had to research the pin outs etc and solder up a din plug lead, but Futaba, Spectrum etc can be got without that level of hassle.  Take a look it doesn't cost anything.

HTH John M

Thank you. 

Really appreciate your guidance