Got my fix of finger twiddling this afternoon

Jerry Lunt

I went to my nearby slope of West Hills, Gretton today for a little sloping.  Took my Moth and my converted Lidl chuck glider.

I walked to the hill this morning and there was a fair breeze blowing up it but by lunchtime I noticed it seemed to have settled some.  Anyway, wife and I walked the mile to the top of the slope and I chucked the Moth 3 times but the wind was too light - even with no ballast so I though I should maiden the chuck glider.

I did my conversion a few weeks ago

20211218_165529.thumb.jpg.dd786ca6568ff6048eaa0c5bdf822964.jpg

20211218_165548.thumb.jpg.ca1ced14a9f9e496621915391ae4b0c9.jpg

and this was my first go at r/c flying it.  I had launched it down a small slope previously without r/c to confirm the glide and CoG was OK.  Anyway, 1st time I chucked it took me a while to realise I had no elevator control and it came down again, without harm behind the hedge. Found I made a basic error in my X9D programming for the elevator.  Programmed a 3 position rate switch with up and down lines only, no centre switch position and no CATCHALL line!  Dummy.  Anyway, I only needed the low rate setting so flew on that.  Proved to be a bit tail heavy still so I got it down to add some weight in the nose. Oh!  I had no lead with me but solved that with some searching:

20220203_162903.thumb.jpg.ba052fe36fbda311418501f0ca329c31.jpg

Think I will use a bit of lead for permanent solution  😀