Futaba 3150 voltage question

wookman

Everything you read about 3150 says that is a 4.8 volt servo. Not even a six volt servo. A recently purchased aeroplane has two on ailerons running straight off a 2s li ion battery. Can anybody explain why they seem quite happy and the smoke all seems to be inside?  There are no becs hiding anywhere and I have definitely got 7.4 volts on the leads immediately before the servo. It has been used like this since a hv upgrade two years ago with no apparent problem.  Is it a case of don’t fix what ain’t broke?

Phil.Taylor

I've only ever used them on 4.8v - and totally reliable - and tough.

I would see if I could squeeze in a couple of micro-BECS - cos the smoke will come out at just the wrong time - in the air...

Phil

I have been using a Life cell direct onto 3150 wing servos in my fs3 for years. 

Nominal of Life is lower than lilo or lipo. Losses through wiring and plugs also helps. When I did it I also figured the loss of one wing servo would be survivable, 

Pretty sure they are rated to 6v max - you'll get around 6v from a fully charged 4 cell nimh pack anyway. Anything above that pushes you closer to burn out so depends how lucky you're feeling.