FxRES May 2022 2m F3L/F5-RES Monthly Duration Challenge

martynk

FxRES Monthly Postal Rules

This is a “for fun” challenge for UK based pilots. Anyone may enter with:

1. a bungee-launched F3L (F3-RES) specification glider using the reduced length Hi-Start. The reduced length Hi-Start bungee has a maximum of 10m of 6/4mm surgical tubing and 50m of static line (minimum 30lb breaking strain). Lighter/smaller/shorter bungee rubber may be used.

OR

2. an Electric motor launched F5-RES specification glider fitted with an Altitude Limiter set to 60m and a maximum motor run time of 20 seconds.

Object: Fly your F3L or F5-RES glider for as long as possible from a flat field. Each monthly challenge will commence on the 1st day of the Calendar month and  the person who's time is unbeaten at the end of the Calendar Month 'wins' and a new challenge will start. The annual challenge league will end on the 31st December of each year. A new annual challenge league will then commence on the 1st of January.

Rules:

Models must comply with the Model Specification rules for F3L (F3-RES) or F5-RES as appropriate.

You may self-time your own flights

Flight times begin when the tow-line falls from the tow-hook (for F3L/F3-RES) or in the case of a F5-RES glider when the motor stops.

The model must land in the launch field or (if there is no field boundary) within 150m of the launch position for times to count. There is no landing bonus.

If you are using a bungee launch (for this event or any other), then the launch line MUST be secured using a corkscrew dog tether or similar bungee stake to minimise the risk of injury caused by a loose stake.

Scores must be submitted on the relevant monthly postal event posting on the FxRES forum at www.barcs.co.uk/forums/   

Scoring flights must be submitted within 24 hours of the flight taking place.

A flight log graph from the Altitude limiter should also be submitted if entering with a F5-RES glider.

All scoring flights must start with a hand release from Ground Level with (if applicable), the motor running.

No flight information telemetry permitted except for Received signal strength and Receiver battery status.

Submitted scores will be amalgamated into an annual league. Points will be awarded as follows:  1st -15 points, 2nd - 12points, 3rd - 10points, 4th to 12th, 9 to 1 point respectively.

You may enter as many times as you wish using as many different models as you wish, but only your longest duration flight will count towards the league position.

Please enter your scores below...

Grey , cool with 2-3 mph winds.   Very light lift.   Perfect for the DLG but too easy really.    Certainly more of a challenge with the X-RES, especially with lack of wind and a 4 meter bungee 😀

Difficult to work out if climbing or descending as conditions so marginal and proved difficult to get away.     X-RES always impresses me,   was able to core some of the tight low lift turning / rotating on the wing tip which I rarely do even with the DLG.  Best was a 25-minute flight.         Had a good flight around 2:45 pm, was sat at 400 meters with 15 minutes on the clock, frustratingly the sun made an appearance just as the low battery alarm sounded, so had to cut it short.    By the time it had recharged the conditions were pancake flat so headed home.

David | X-RES | 2nd May 2022 | 25 mins 11 seconds

RES-May-2nd-2022.thumb.JPG.904559f67ba7c8a292d7733c27e399d9.JPG

• Like 1

A cold very damp morning, with very little wind, but enough to move the tree tops for entertainment. So, above ground level, some good south / south east gusts.

Here we have good examples of working lift, working air that I thought was lift but would hold height and as usual, a lot of sink. Also a demonstration of how to lose the good lift you are in !

Heaviest model – Bombay Duck – 17:30 glide time.

Here is the full flight..........

WholeFlight.thumb.jpg.8bef721c1c773063de6219579b339b57.jpg

Here is the launch, hitting 9m/sec – where it should only be just over 3m/sec to get to height..............

WholeLaunch.thumb.jpg.84d50bea5cd98e22c0b5c7fd9cd91b06.jpg

Chopped so we can see just the glide part.........

WholeGlide.thumb.jpg.27936666d118c72632e2a8ef7d49c339.jpg

With the last part, so we can see the landing.

WholeLand.thumb.jpg.5b609827228f82bbf4fbe6b9aa62ac07.jpg

The full flight is #46 and for the glide and the landing, it becomes #46_2, because it is the second part, after cutting off the launch.

• Like 1

Paul Wellacott

I’m hoping to get out this month, from what was a good start to the season in March to a disastrous April. What with family commitments, work and the dreaded Covid I didn’t get out once with the 2M.

May had better be different 😁

Paul Wellacott

That’s better! 
I was determined today to sort out the Slite, it’s been a problematic trimming exercise to say the least. I spent a good couple of hours this morning getting it trimmed up. I’m sure it was Andy Sephton that said “they need to be flown” no kidding! 
this isn’t a model for someone with an itchy nose, it’s constantly requiring small inputs to make it do what you want it to do. I’ve found that the CofG is 9mm forward of recommended. This is a balance between penetration and letting the model let you know what’s happening in the air.

it’s wasn’t the best day, quite windy but with some strong lift blowing through. It was difficult to follow the lift downwind as we have some restrictions on airspace on our field at the moment. I had a few flights in the 10 min plus area, but the one I’m claiming is a 27:33 min flight. Luckily I picked up some strong lift quite a long was forward, and gained height quickly, it was then a case of careful flying in the little pockets that were left. 
i changed batteries for my next session, and promptly snapped my bungee!!! 
Day over, but the weather was turning anyway.

Claimed time 27:33. Slite F3

P.s are there any flyers in Yorkshire that might fancy a meet up? 

• Like 4

Paul Wellacott

It took ages to find the tubing, very long grass on the bit I fly on, I was ready to just go on eBay and buy some more 😆

shauncwalsh

First attempt for May, not impressive. Found some lift over a copse a fair distance away but found that I was having trouble with orientation and decided to come back a bit closer rather than lose a model. Found a second, weaker, patch of lift but that disappeared and then it was all downhill. Better than the first flight where I found nothing at all and had to hunt for the model in long wet grass. There's lots of month left though. Must spend more time trimming out, can't seem to get it just right, spent a lot of time porpoising about and losing height.

4 min 51 sec

F5-RES Circle Dancer (a.k.a Kavan Resco)

Bramhall

image.thumb.png.f8ce6d7cb051a3fd315cc6f1e72d409b.png

• Like 2

shauncwalsh

Just double checked the CoG on the Circle Dancer and it was a good 10mm forward of the recommended point. Fortunately, moving the battery to the back of the bay brought it to the correct point. Might be a bit easier to trim and fly now without so much porpoising. Was sure I had checked it previously, obviously got it wrong.

Hope you have it sorted Shaun. I try and get mine trimmed as much as possible and then tame it with expo and reduced travel. They can be very bouncy..

image.png.18d9595637a9f1ce3eec40f0ec73e309.png

Apologies, I missed Paul Wellacott's post and excellent flight. Thanks to Anthony for the nudge...

image.png.248060c2384b04f62a715c8203c81727.png

On 07/05/2022 at 19:17, Paul Wellacott said:

P.s are there any flyers in Yorkshire that might fancy a meet up? 

Whereabouts in Yorkshire are you?  Its a blooming big county...

• Haha 1

Paul Wellacott
On 10/05/2022 at 09:35, martynk said:

Whereabouts in Yorkshire are you?  Its a blooming big county...

I’m in Harrogate

StraightEdge

Coming together nicely, this month.

I still can't drive any great distance so league events not possible, but tomorrow afternoon I'll go up my local field... 

• Like 1

On 12/05/2022 at 17:59, Paul Wellacott said:

I’m in Harrogate

A bit far for an afternoon flying.. Sorry.

Stewart Walker

4 Flights early this morning. Best flight was with a Buzzard for a few minutes, he went off to better thermals.

Bramhall

R5-RES Fresh

13mins 51secs

flight 138 14-5-22.png

• Like 3

JulesGrocott

Not a great duration but my first go and posting. An exercise in "how to do it". The model is a rather heavy 2 metre RE but no S thermal electric glider called the "Blue Phoenix" a Danish balsa and ply kit. I am claiming 5min 58secs. No doubt Martyn will correct me if got it wrong. Proper RES model a Aero-Naut Triple RES still on the building board. Even that's a bit heavy may need something lighter. 

1664233025_May14.thumb.png.b54d27719ca2829a05552a4af716ecb1.png

• Like 3

Well done Stewart and welcome to Jules - 2 more from my own BATS club based up in Bramhall. :) That now makes 5 of us (including Stewart and Shaun)

Updated table

image.png.c6fb77f9f8db8db28bd839ab16faaebd.png

Paul Wellacott

image.png.7e216945fb75bab3e30a00260d2a48e5.png

I had one of those Saturdays, just frustrating and not that enjoyable, the EPurito is so much fun to fly, but our flying site is a bit restricted at the moment so its difficult to fly towards or with the lift. I tried the Slite, got a couple of nice flights with that, then tried it on the big bungee, terrible, wing flutter was horrendous! so i tried some up next launch, pinged off low, no matter what i couldn't get a decent launch, went back to the 60m bungee and was getting much better height. very frustrating

the below was my best of the day with the EPurito10:15, the lift was developing nicely, but weak and a long way downwind heading towards the restricted airspace, so I tracked back for a landing - somedays can just be like that.

image.png.543a3be5fab1b001fb7c951fb2ae4e5e.png