Model technology,

Raymond Millington

Raymond Millington

Hi all,

I have purchased a Stuart Blanchard Model Technology Cobra has anyone ever flown this model and if so what is the correct C of G ?

I have found a thread on one of the rc forums where he states the C of G as being 110 mm from the leading edge that's almost half of the wing cord it doesn't look right,

I can't find on line the manual for this model does anyone have one?

Any help is appreciated cheers Ray.

Might be worth pming Brian McDonald just in case he doesn’t see this thread. I know he has been flying Calypsos over the last few years. 

Raymond Millington

Hi both thanks for the reply,

Simon.t this is the thread I found that states the C of G as 110mm from the leading edge this looks very rearward to me, he states its very hot ,I was hoping

someone could confirm this C of G .

Wookman I will try to contact Brian ,is it possible to contact him through this site?

Thanks Ray.

Ray, the Cobra is a very benign model to fly - You may want to start at 100mm, and use slightly less elevator throw, and see how you get on - everyone’s taste about model handling is different, but the model is not especially sensitive to fly compared to current models.  Daryl’s setup is for F3B, so will by nature be at the faster handling setup needed for speed and distance tasks.  If you are just going to use the model for flight ing around thermalling you won’t need the throws.  If you want to chuck it around on the slope then go with Daryl’s settings.

I still have a Cobra, now with an electric motor up front and GPS equipment for GPS triangle, (for the F3B and F3J Worlds I used to have three!), and over the years it has achieved top results in F3B, F3J and F3F, so it’s a great all round model.

Simon

738E25C8-D523-48C6-B3D9-D3FFB573A774.thumb.jpeg.d4e0b4428944ae828819c604da7eaf25.jpeg

40 minutes ago, Raymond Millington said:

Hi both thanks for the reply,

Simon.t this is the thread I found that states the C of G as 110mm from the leading edge this looks very rearward to me, he states its very hot ,I was hoping

someone could confirm this C of G .

Wookman I will try to contact Brian ,is it possible to contact him through this site?

Thanks Ray.

Yeah. Just send him a private message. The system will send him an email so he will get the message even if he is not on the forum. 

love mine and its the most flown model i have and i think mine is at 108mm and if you ballast it up 8 slugs seems the best 

if you still cant find what you want find Ian turner as he still makes them and most of the other models he did so can get spare parts should you have a problem lol

get it in the air as they fly amazing, you will love it 

Raymond Millington

Thanks for the reply Si,

I was concerned when I saw a thread that said the C of G was 110 which looked very rearward any way I have set it to 105.

ten of us are having a long weekend in Wales so I will be test flying the Cobra the Blade XXL and a Schwing 88 and an Alpina 4001 weather permitting,

These are my Carona lockdown models that I completed during that period,

Si I see your home is Shropshire I used to fly a lot up The Long Mynd years ago at Pole Cottage are you still allowed to fly there and are there any restrictions?

I live in Stafford so its local for me ,

Ian could you please let me have Ian Turners email .

Thanks best regards Ray.

John Minchell

The Long Mynd Soaring Association is the club https://lmsa.bmfa.club/find_us/ and Pole Cottage and the other sites are still regularly used up the Long Mynd.  Only restrictions I am aware of is no power models (IC or electric) and no flying in Ashes Hollow between April1st and July 15th because of nesting birds.

• Like 1