Single piece wing glider case?

MikevE

It's easy enough to find a decent plastic gun or airsoft case for a 2 wing DLG, but has anyone found one suitable for a single piece wing?

Wow, that's very nice! Thank you for your kind offer!

I'm looking for something more like one of those super lightweight gun cases for a single glider. I may end up having to make my own.

You might consider making one using the plan I published in BMFA News a while ago. Made from a single piece of Correx, they are indeed lightweight, and I can crank one out now in about 30 minutes!

https://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/html5/reader/production/default.aspx?pubname=&edid=82363a03-a28d-43fe-970c-1664e994a42b

Made carefully these are surprisingly robust.

The instructions are on pages 16-17, the actual plan (which thanks to the magic of algebra fits all sizes) is on p19, and printed very small! Don’t ask me why. I had no control over production.

One thing I forgot to mention is that a box built like this will use less material if it is wide and shallow, rather than narrow and deep.

• Thanks 1

That's actually very cool! What thickness of correx are you using for that, and how do you make the bends in blue that are glued?

The techniques and the tools and materials used are all explained in painful detail in the article. I use 4mm Correx, but the design could easily be modified if you wanted to use something different. Just remember that the folds will need to be made wider if thicker Correx is used. I cut mine 5mm wide to accommodate a 4mm thickness. 

Doh! Stupid me. I missed that it started with the box building. I scanned 18 and 19 and saw it was about repairs, and didn't think to look further back.

5 hours ago, MikevE said:

Doh! Stupid me. I missed that it started with the box building. I scanned 18 and 19 and saw it was about repairs, and didn't think to look further back.

Easily done. The layout people at BMFA News are a law unto themselves.
If you go ahead and make one, I’d appreciate comments on the design and instructions….Perhaps a photo?

• Like 1