FxRES July 2022 2m F3L/F5-RES Monthly Duration Challenge

martynk

Paul Wellacott

Another day a Dishforth, another model to repair ! this time the Purito. I'd been doing some mid-week bench changes, making the C of G changes 'permanent' to both the Slite and the Purito, just shaping lead to fit in the extremities internally rather than taped on the outside during testing.

The plan was to take 6x 450 batteries for the F5 and just a couple for the F3 to make sure the trim and tow hook positions were right.

I'd had a couple of flights with the Purito, and it was shaping up nicely, but with the wind forecasted to get over 10mph in the afternoon (see the below graphs)

I'd just nicely had a Launch with the Slite F3 and was at around 150m when a strong low thermal blew through, and I heard the crunch as it flipped the Purito over on the ground snapping the horizontal stabiliser "what a nuisances" I said ( it was much worse than that! ) 

I landed that flight to inspect the damage and change the battery, I run 350 2s in the Slite, they last a while but the to tend to trip my voltage warning with the spoiler out.

so it was one battery left to get a decent flight in, I stood in the field, on my own for some time, in the distance I could see a tractor turning the hay just prior to baling, just above that I could see 3 Buzzards circling, this was the chance, I got a good launch and flew upwind towards them, Ignoring the little bubbles of lift on the way up. Good call, I hit the lift at about 20m and it was strong ! by the time I was back overhead and heading downwind I was probably at 350m I pushed back upwind dropping to about 100m and picked up a big patch of very persistent lift,  at one point it must've been close to 500m and I was loosing orientation of the model, spoiler out. Those of you who have Slites will know how this can induce quite a nose down attitude, and being so high it was difficult to control the pitch, but at 300m it was spoiler back in and just fly round in the lift. The battery warning went off so I knew I only had another few minutes of safe flying time, I just cruised out of the lift and tracked back for a landing. On checking the battery afterwards there was 14% left

Claimed Time - F3 - Slite - 36:30

image.png.0d396b34fa9dbee729d913391b1a7241.png

image.png.2edf97820f559efdd43a0390ccba4730.png

• Like 1

JulesGrocott

Ah Dishforth, I used to do circuits and bumps in a Jet Provost there from CFS Leeming. 😌

• Like 1

Hi Paul, sorry to hear about your purito.  That's 3 damaged models this weekend on this thread :(

I find these RES models can be put in a vertical dive with full spoilers without any issue.

did you upload wrong trace file?  Seems to not match your description?

• Like 2

Paul Wellacott
1 hour ago, cirrusRC said:

Hi Paul, sorry to hear about your purito.  That's 3 damaged models this weekend on this thread :(

I find these RES models can be put in a vertical dive with full spoilers without any issue.

did you upload wrong trace file?  Seems to not match your description?

No, the traces are from the F5 Purito, I just put them up for content.

The Slite  is stopwatch only.  is this ok? I understand I was on my own with no verification. But F-RES is a solitary sport in out club at the moment.

• Like 1

JulesGrocott

A dank day at Bramhall cricket club with occasional light drizzle. However after a poor first flight I flew 5 more with one flight logging 4min 36 seconds. Then disaster, on downloading my nano it has only stored my last flight of 93 seconds, as I have the graph for that I will claim 93 seconds so I have at least one flight recorded for July. HELP why has my Nano decided to only store the last flight?

21 July 2022-6.png

• Like 1

Stewart Walker

Don't know Jules, when you first plug your nano into the laptop, a window opens with the flight detail files, is there only one

Where is your nano in relation to motor and ESC.

Are you safely removing via USB option on computer before unplugging?

JulesGrocott
3 hours ago, Stewart Walker said:

Don't know Jules, when you first plug your nano into the laptop, a window opens with the flight detail files, is there only one

Yes there is only one. I have done a bench test motor run-up and it has recorded it and kept the previous. I will do further checks tomorrow. Thanks for your reply.

JulesGrocott
3 hours ago, cirrusRC said:

Where is your nano in relation to motor and ESC.

Are you safely removing via USB option on computer before unplugging?

It is behind a bulkhead from both. I will do some bench tests tomorrow and exercise extra care. Tanks for your reply.

Strange day at Fish Meadow. Banks of good lift followed by equally good sink.

Got to 539 meters but struggled to stay in the next patch of good air.

Model was an EPurito

Fish Meadow 27/07/22

Flight claimed 33 mins 49 seconds.

image.thumb.png.ffc494150ac43cb2fe62309949e8807d.png

Stewart Walker

My first posting for F3-RES, having trouble with my FRESH either pinging off the line or over speeding,

Claiming 3 mins 3 seconds, Bramhall

672498951_f327-7-22.thumb.png.7b9b9b8216977912e8ad8c9c9bc22900.png

• Like 2

Graham Lorimer

Another day of 2 Meter flying at Fish Meadow yesterday, as Steve says, some great lift with sink to match.

It always amazes me that from over 500 meters, the sink can have the model on the ground 3 minutes later.

Trying for maximum speed on the launch, motor cut at 12 seconds.

Fish Meadow

Purito E

Time 19 minutes 53 seconds

July 27th.png

• Like 1

A very lifty day at the Worcester model flying club at Hanbury initially with the windspeed around 6 MPH gusting to 12 MPH.

About 2:00 pm the wind stopped and the sky had 100% cloud cover

The first 30 mins was spent in the same thermal as I was opening the spoilers periodically to loose some height - things were getting scary.

2 further thermals were found giving a flight time of 3840 seconds = exactly 64 minutes.

Model was an EPurito.

image.thumb.png.93d3f9f667553cc64895d46acefe37b2.png

• Like 1

Graham Lorimer

A top flight, that very nearly ended at 30 minutes, well done Steve, I knew I should not have recommended the Purito to you!

GL

Not an entry, because I could not better my existing one.

Looking at these amazing times, I bet you feel like you will feel like you are rubbish (I do)

Day before yesterday it was just up and quickly down, then up and quickly down. 

But it was quite breezy.

EqualHard.thumb.jpg.18d810fb38e9bbd00709028e1a03b1b7.jpg

Today became a little better, if only I could join them together ! (They are consecutive flights)

94812174_Hardtry.thumb.jpg.f8302c4fd24b76d2b0600c574aaff08c.jpg

Oh and 2 days ago a flying buddy did well over an hour and just parked under a cloud. He did a spin every now and then to keep it visible.

Yes - the altimeter is right......... 2260ft !!!

Height.thumb.JPG.488913f43e56dba5be3c877a0a85cf05.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/07/2022 at 15:18, Paul Wellacott said:

No, the traces are from the F5 Purito, I just put them up for content.

The Slite  is stopwatch only.  is this ok? I understand I was on my own with no verification. But F-RES is a solitary sport in out club at the moment.

Stopwatch is fine for F3L.

Updated Table

Just had two weeks at an isolated camp site with no data and very marginal phone..

Back home this weekend.. :( 

image.png.49490fe66fcc2bee95c10fdb79ca5c51.png

Well done all, that was a very hectic month.  

Paul Wellacott

F5 definitely seems to be the model to have. Only a few F3’s in there. Is it because F5 is easier? No walking up and down for a bungee?