Frsky receiver antennae placement

ShaunW

I use A number of Frsky X8r receivers in my aeroplanes and I wonder what the experience of other flyers was with the PCB type antennae and their placement in slim fuselage F5j type models.
I currently have a new second hand F5j Explorer that I am fitting out and I cannot see how it will be possible to get the PCB type antennae at 90 degrees to each other at a distance from the carbon areas in the fuselage and also away from the ESC and battery that makes me happy.

Are others using the X8r Pro (or other receiver) with whiskers in this situation or have you swapped the PCB antennae back to whiskers or am I just over thinking the whole experience and I need to finish the instal and go flying?

Replace the paddle aerials with plain whiskers and get them at 90° to each other, externally if there is lots of carbon about.

Swapped my 4 receivers back to simple wire antennae.    I hadn't tried the PCB versions for range, but the wire versions are just fine.  I did check the replacement aerials carefully for continuity and lack of short circuits, also used a blob of glue on the plug/socket to help keep them fixed. 

I have used one PCB aerial along the fuse and one wire aerial across the fuse either horizontally or vertically to get the 90° without any issues

• Like 1

Thanks for the answers, I’ll change the paddles back to whiskers and get them outside the fuselage.

The paddles are supposed to give a 20% range improvement over whiskers but it’s no use if you cannot get them away from the electronics and carbon in a small glider fuselage and at 90 degrees to each other.

I’ve got some of the yellow glue that Frsky use for fixing the Ipex connectors to stop them coming unclipped somewhere too.