Multiplex Royal SX Programming - Help!

RCflyir

Hi all,

I bought myself a Multiplex Royal SX a few years ago and am now starting to get some models programmed into it. After learning the Multiplex way of programming from the  Futaba/Hitec way of programming, I am finding it difficult to get flight phases programmed on the Multiplex. I have had a go and re-read the manual loads of times, but it appears that the phases can only effect DR, Expo and the C/S etc. and that's about it. It doesn't touch the mixer menu (like the Hitec allows) - so how do you programme thermal/speed/normal/cruise settings for the wing within the flight phases?

i.e. I have to program a thermal setting of Flaps and Ailerons down 3mm and Elevator up 1.5mm (taken from the FVK Signal manual). How can I program this into the thermal flight phase?

I am grateful for any help and assistance with this as I am really stumped on how to proceed. 

Many Thanks 

Ed

Not a Mpx man but Mike Shelim is. Find him at rcsoar.com. There is loads of Mpx stuff on there which mighty provide the steer you are looking for.

Wookman has given you a good steer.  I don't have an SX but if it looks like the Royal evo 9 at first glance the buttons are exactly the same.  I find this is a useful document for my old Royal evo 9 -

http://webx.dk/rc/evo/Multiplex-Evo-Tutorial.pdf

You name and switch on the flight phases in the 'Memory menu' - the names are per model.

You assign the switches you want to use to select phases in the 'Setup' menu.  Go to flaps in the 'Controls' menu and you will find you can set a flap position per phase.  Trim position are also per phase so you can trim the model in pitch independently for each flap setting

I think it might just be that you can only alter the controls (input) aspect of the settings rather than all the mixer settings etc. bear in mind flap is also a control.  

I don't think it's like the hitec which has complete adjustment of every mixer setting in every flight mode.

Tbh the flight modes on the hitec are way over powered relative to its cost.  I would say they're even better than the jeti I got now because on hitec you could alter the settings for one flight mode, put it back to global, keep the setting, and then have it adjust with the global ones.  Very good tx for the money. Pity they never made the telemetry etc better.  

I would way rather have the hitec from a programming point of view than a basic mpx trannie.  

17 hours ago, satinet said:

I think it might just be that you can only alter the controls (input) aspect of the settings rather than all the mixer settings etc. bear in mind flap is also a control.  

I don't think it's like the hitec which has complete adjustment of every mixer setting in every flight mode.

You're right. After some reading and a deep dive in some German forums, the "flight  phases" only effect the control settings, they don't touch the mixers. So as the flap is part of the control side, to achieve a camber changing wing in the flight phases you must first create a fixed value for the flap (per phase) and then experiment with all of the mixers do achieve the desired movement per surface (*this could be the wrong way to do it, so if anyone reading this disagrees please let me know).

The only problem I can see with this is that if you wanted to programme the flaps to move with the ailerons, the fixed value programmed into the phases overrides any instruction to move the flaps - but I will experiment with this programming when I get a 4 Flap glider ready to programme.

I fully agree with you with the Hitec, the Aurora is still a fantastic radio set and at one point virtually everyone in my club used one because it was easy to programme and every mix was in front of you and ready to use if needed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RCflyir said:

You're right. After some reading and a deep dive in some German forums, the "flight  phases" only effect the control settings, they don't touch the mixers. So as the flap is part of the control side, to achieve a camber changing wing in the flight phases you must first create a fixed value for the flap (per phase) and then experiment with all of the mixers do achieve the desired movement per surface (*this could be the wrong way to do it, so if anyone reading this disagrees please let me know).

The only problem I can see with this is that if you wanted to programme the flaps to move with the ailerons, the fixed value programmed into the phases overrides any instruction to move the flaps - but I will experiment with this programming when I get a 4 Flap glider ready to programme.

……..

The 'fixed values' don't fix the position, they fix the 'neutral' and the flaps can move around this setting.  There is no problem moving the flaps with the ailerons or moving flaps and aileron together (camber) when you move the elevator stick (think 'snap flap').

Below are my Flap mixer and settings.

The flaps move…

1.  when the flaps go to the correct position for a flight phase.

2.  when the spoilers are operated

3.  with the ailerons if the 'I' switch is on

4.  with the elevators if the 'N' switch is on (snap flap)

738DC18F-9CD8-42D3-B96D-A1371DF6BF77.jpeg

B5E53DE6-9EAF-447C-A7EF-CC05AE239AF1.jpeg

And for the ailerons…

The ailerons move…

1. when you move the aileron stick (!) - I am backed off from the full throw the servos would give - to reduce sensitivity. You can adjust the throw per phase in the control menu.

2. when you move the spoiler stick they can go up (crow) or down.  Note that I have that input switched off so they don't move on this model.

3. when the flaps move.

4.  when you move the elevator stick. ('snap flap').   I have this switchable on/off with the 'N' switch and set so that  they don't go up with down elevator.

FE25D27C-1830-4435-B2CF-15CB535BC978.jpeg

F5C530A1-4AEF-4908-B630-A6BF07104559.jpeg

Caveat.  I am not an MPX programming expert and my technique may not be perfectly 'correct' but it works.  There are many ways to get things to move as required - one of them is probably best - read the tutorials and you will get there in the end!

Note that I am using Royal Evo 9 software version version 1.4.  I believe that more, 'flight phase adjustable', options are in available in later softwares

1 hour ago, mikef said:

The 'fixed values' don't fix the position, they fix the 'neutral' and the flaps can move around this setting.  There is no problem moving the flaps with the ailerons or moving flaps and aileron together (camber) when you move the elevator stick (think 'snap flap').

This has made things a lot more clearer and a lot more understandable!! An assumption was made with the terminology of 'Fixed Value' meaning that the flap was fixed at a certain value. Thank you for steering me correctly, as this was my main stumbling point. 

Also thank you for sharing your setup and explaining what each line of the mixer correlates to, it is starting to make sense with everything I've read. I've definitely seen mixers like that on the German forums, so everything is starting to align in my brain.

The mixers are very powerful with the Multiplex system, but the key is getting an understanding on how to make them do what you want to do.

Thanks once again!!!

If you spend too long on rc-network you'll develop an unhealthy obsession with what your glider weighs and an overwhelming urge to electrify everything up to an including the kitchen toaster.  

God love em

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wookman said:

I better get on there quick. At the moment I don’t care what the glider weighs and I do my toast under the gas grill. 

Approach with caution 

• Haha 1

On 11/08/2022 at 16:47, RCflyir said:

This has made things a lot more clearer and a lot more understandable!! An assumption was made with the terminology of 'Fixed Value' meaning that the flap was fixed at a certain value. Thank you for steering me correctly, as this was my main stumbling point. 

Also thank you for sharing your setup and explaining what each line of the mixer correlates to, it is starting to make sense with everything I've read. I've definitely seen mixers like that on the German forums, so everything is starting to align in my brain.

The mixers are very powerful with the Multiplex system, but the key is getting an understanding on how to make them do what you want to do.

Thanks once again!!!

Actually it's not quite correct, the way the fixed values work is they fix the control input, so if you set a fixed value in a flight phase then the control input is locked in that position, if the control surface is affected by any other inputs through a mixer then they are unaffected, e.g. aileron. You can assign the same switch to activate the mixes as flight phases so get round this that way. It's a shame MPX never upgraded the Royal Pro to Profi firmware as that allows you to specify flight phase as a mixer switch, as well as quite few other enhancements.

Don't forget you can assign one of the two digiadjusters to the fixed value (or any mixer input etc) and use those to fine tune the fixed value in flight.

On 15/08/2022 at 16:55, FrankS said:

Actually it's not quite correct, the way the fixed values work is they fix the control input, so if you set a fixed value in a flight phase then the control input is locked in that position, if the control surface is affected by any other inputs through a mixer then they are unaffected, e.g. aileron. You can assign the same switch to activate the mixes as flight phases so get round this that way. It's a shame MPX never upgraded the Royal Pro to Profi firmware as that allows you to specify flight phase as a mixer switch, as well as quite few other enhancements.

Don't forget you can assign one of the two digiadjusters to the fixed value (or any mixer input etc) and use those to fine tune the fixed value in flight.

Hi Frank,  

Thank you for the further clarification regards what "fixed value" means and how it operates within itself and mixers. 

In a week or two I'll be off to have a play and experiment to see what I can get working, and put what I have learnt into use!