**CANCELLED** F5J Try it/Coaching Day-Tonbridge 13.4.24

ThermalBoy

ThermalBoy

***CANCELLED***CANCELLED***

With forecasted Wind Conditions of 13-16mph Constant and Gusts up to 28-30mph this event is regretfully cancelled. We hope to re-run it later in the year.

]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

Just a reminder to those intending to come to be sure to check on this thread whether its a go/no go call on Friday April 12th.

A final decision to confirm or cancel depending on the weather/field access will be posted here by no later than 5pm Friday April 12th.
Please note that you need to check here and will not be emailed about cancellation.

Fingers crossed it stops raining and blowing a gale.

Colin

]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

Realised this should really have been in the Flyers Workshop Forum rather than get lost amongst older threads.

"5 hours ago, andyharrold said:
One has been rumoured for quite a while. Colin, Graham and Kevin are adamant that I need training!
I will discuss it with them over a few beers next month in Bulgaria. I will keep you posted"

We've had many requests both post and pre Covid to ask if we will be running any more of these "Come & Try it/Coaching Days". Everyone that attended the previous sessions's said they enjoyed the day and learnt a lot whether it be to do with model set up, air reading or flying etc.

The good news is that this year we intend to run some more sessions at the Tonbridge field. All levels of flying ability will be welcome and catered for with the aim being to have an enjoyable and relaxing days flying without the stress of competition. They will normally be held on Saturdays and are subject to a weather go/no go call the day before. All we ask of attendees is that they make a £10 donation to the Tonbridge Club for the days tuition.

We are hoping to hold at least one session before the start of the flying season followed up with more over the year. Each session will be limited to 8 visiting pilots with three coaches on hand to ensure eveyone gets a lot of one on one help.

If you are interested in attending one of these sessions, please reply to this thread.

Colin
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[

Tonbridge F5J Come and Try it/Coaching Day – Saturday 13th April

The date for the first 2024 Tonbridge F5J Coaching/Try It Day is set for Saturday 13th April. This will be dependent on there being a good weather forecast and acceptable Field Access/Parking etc. (We've had a bit of rain lately!)

The club allows a maximum of eight visiting pilots. Anyone who doesn’t make it onto the list this time will be first on the list for the next session. If oversubscribed preference will be given to newcomers.

Action Required:
Those that have already expressed an interest in coming can you please confirm on your original reply to this thread whether you will be attending on Saturday 13th April.
(We would like to give your place to one of the reserve flyers if you cant make it).

I will be posting the required info/details on this session sometime this week.

]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

GENERAL INFO:
Date: Saturday 13 April - Book in from 9:00 am Start 10:00 am.

Directions to the field can be found here:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Leigh+Park+Farm/@51.2091254,0.19327,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x47df4fda3f5fd36d:0xfd76d04136677dd9?hl=en

What3Words: (Car Parking Area) https://what3words.com/piper.successes.turned

Proof of valid insurance: Required

Proof of CAA Registration: Required. (All models to have CAA Reg No).

Cost: £10 per visiting pilot payable on the day. (All monies go to the Tonbridge Club)

Three/Four highly experienced F5J pilots will be in available on the day to ensure everyone gets plenty of “One on One” help throughout the day. All aspects of F5J flying/model set-ups/Air Reading will be covered. Tuition is tailored to the individuals needs. These days are run to ensure everyone has a relaxed/enjoyable no stress day whether you be a newcomer or experienced flyer.

Please ensure you back up your model(s) existing set-up and put a copy of it on your Tx which will be used by the coaches.

Between them the coach’s speak fluent Jeti, Futaba, HiTec and some FrSky/Open/Edge Tx.

PLEASE NOTE
A final decision to confirm or cancel depending on the weather/field access will be posted here by no later than 5pm Friday April 12th. Please note that you need to check here and will not be emailed about cancellation.

We look forward to welcoming you to the Tonbridge Field, one of the best RC Thermal Soaring fields in the South East bar none!

Colin

Edited by ThermalBoy
Event Cancelled
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Not sure if I need to put my name down on both threads. 

Yes please. 

Simon Conran. 

• Committee Member
Nick Jackson

Excellent sessions - not to be missed. Count me in again, please - new model.

• PeteMitchell pinned this topic
najeem khan

would love to take part, do I bring my own glider? I only have an f3j.

Regards

Najeem

• Like 1

• Committee Member
Nick Jackson
5 hours ago, najeem khan said:

Regards

Najeem

Hi Najeem - welcome to the forum. Can't speak for the organisers (but they'll no doubt put me right if any of this is wrong):

• There's not been a winch available at previous Tonbridge training days. All backgrounds / levels of experience very welcome, but people do normally bring along their own electric model. I imagine you'd be fine to come along and watch-and-learn if you don't have an electric model yet.

• Most F3J models can make good F5J models with a bit of work. Either get hold of an additional, electric fuselage or do some surgery on your existing one if it is no longer going to be used for winch or towline launch. (Sometimes it has to be keyhole surgery - bit of a squeeze to get the motor and other gear into some slim F3J fuselages). The Tonbridge experts will be able to advise. Current F5J models tend to be lighter than F3J (because they don't need the strength to withstand winch launches). But since it's nearly always windy in the UK a bit of extra weight is often a good thing. And they all go up in lift.

ThermalBoy
5 hours ago, najeem khan said:

Regards

Najeem

Hi Najeem

Nick just beat me to replying back to you! Basically what Nick has mentioned above is correct. However all of the guys doing the coaching spent many years flying competitive F3J at a high level before moving onto F5J. It would certainly be worth bringing your F3J glider along though as we can look at its current set-up and advise on how best to optimise it, cover reading air/finding thermals etc. Its a great chance to meet up with fellow enthuasists.

I'm currently just sorting out which day our first Come and Try It/Coaching Day will be held on. It will be sometime in April the date of which I will be confirming shortly.

Looking forward to meeting you on the day.

Colin

• ThermalBoy changed the title to F5J Try it/Coaching Day-Tonbridge - Saturday 13th April 2024
ThermalBoy

F5J Try it/Coaching Day-Tonbridge - Saturday 13th April 2024

The date has now been confirmed as Saturday 13th April 2024. Please see first post under "Action Required".

Full details will be posted later this week. NOW POSTED

Colin

Sadly, regret that I'm unavailable that day. I look forward to hearing how it goes, and maybe if there is a heavy demand, that might justify a second day. 

Simon Conran

ThermalBoy
3 hours ago, Loppy19 said:

In my diary for sourdough buns!

Those sourdough buns are the best👍

• Committee Member
Nick Jackson

Afraid I can't make 13 April. Damn!