Setting up snap flap

Nick Clement

Nick Clement

Guys,

I might be imagining this but I'm sure I read somewhere an article about how to set up perfect flap flap. It Involved doing continual loops into wind and pulling tighter until something happened or something like that? If this isn't the case, can some of you F3F racers give some hints and tips as to how much is too much and how much is not enough? Thanks in advance

Phil.Taylor

Start with 5mm

I very rarely change from this amount. The "tweaking" is on how fast it comes in - some folks like it slow with a "deadband" - I like it on a curve coming in faster. Bear in mind that whatever amount you have, its rare that you will be pulling full up elevator & actually getting that amount. And - some planes respond better than others.

Doing tighter & tighter loops until something happens is more about setting elevator throw - and the "something" is a flick when theres too much throw - again different planes respond differently - some flick badly, and some just dont flick.

Hope you get many other answers though - its all about personal preference, for whatever reason.

Phil.

• Like 1

Nick Clement

Thanks phil 5mm is a bit more than I thought tbh, il try that and then tweak the point at which it comes in to see the differences 👍👍

Consider

having the snap flap direct controlled from the same stick as the elevator. Rating the elevator will not change the snap flap.

Also consider having it mixed from the elevator servo. Results will change as you adjust the elevator throw.

Try both, but remember how things are changing when you rate or expo depending on which method you use.

• Like 1

rc-soar

Kev Newton has a useful article on trimming an F3F model, including snapflap tuning:

https://kevin-newton.blogspot.com/2001/01/how-to-set-up-racing-glider.html

If your tx allows, I'd try and arrange things so you can switch between 3 ele-flap curves, each being S shaped with 3 linear segments. The first segment being flat to suppress snapflap due to small pitch corrections. The last segment determines the max snapflap, and is also flat to avoid over-cambering the wing if you pull too hard on the ele stick. The middle segment does the work. 

As icing on the cake - if your tx offers logical switches and audio - set an audio alert to sound when maximum snapflap is reached, so you can get some feedback as to what's actually happening on the model. 

Mike

• Like 1

wookman

It's adjustable so you will almost certainly never get it right.

Change the plane, pilot, hill or conditions and the ideal setting will vary.

If the wind is a bit crossed you may even need different settings at each end of the course!

Mine is front loaded and only works with up elevator.

The standard I fly at there is infinitely more to be gained by flying a neat accurate couse than meddling with snap flap settings.

• Like 2

Nick Clement

Thanks guys. Lots to be thinking about here. Good shout on setting up the logic  switch with sound on to see how much elevator is being applied. I appreciate that settings change as conditions do but as a starter for ten, there are some great ideas here. Many thanks