Sign in to follow this  
Jef Ott

Hints and Tips for timekeepers

Jef Ott

Hi AllAnyone got any hints and tips for reducing ELG timekeeper workload in Multi-Launch comps? How does one ascertain the moment that the power is cut? (For start of the flight timer, if it occurs after the 30 seconds pre-slot launch time.)

Does the timekeeper start and watch the watches when the motor starts (to give motor on time info to the pilot)? Does the timekeeper watch the model, the watches, or the power switch on the Tx?Trying to make this task as simple as possible for my Dad (Oldott), so that he can do (and feel he is doing) a great job, and want to continue to attend gliding events with me. Thanks in Advance,

Jef

Bernie Jones

Hi Jef

I have found the best way at comps is for the time keeper to have at least three watches one to count the flight time from motor off counting up, one to count down to include the 30 seconds prelaunch (on a talkingtimer from 10.30) and one to check the 30seconds motor runMost of the comps I have done require the time keeper to be told when the motor is switched off and also to know which switch will control motor off, the time keeper should also be talking the 30 second motor run timing for the pilot How you make that less is a hard task, if you know how long a motor run you are doing then launching at the correct time should get you to height at the buzzer, start the clock on the buzzer and also make sure you switch off the motor on the buzzer.

One other way is to launch a bit later and tell your time keeper when you swich off the motor to start the clock, and rely on the timing system talk down as your landing prompt that way you can use one watch which is started on motor off and stopped when the model lands, as long as its within the timing system talkdown that's your flight time.Well that seems to have made that more complicated anyone else do a better job please

Cheers

Bernie

Jef Ott

Thanks Bernie,

My Dad is hard of hearing, and quite often does not hear the tannoy announcements. It is essential for the timekeeper to know when the slot starts, if the motor has already cut. If the timekeeper stops the motor count up, and starts the flight watch at the same time, it can give a longer flight time than the true in-slot time, if the motor stop is before the slot start. If the pilots (/I) state "go" for the flight watch start, whether this is at the moment the slot starts, or if the motor run is longer or later than expected, (or on the second launch) when the motor cuts, it simplifies the task for the timekeeper. Have not actually tried this yet, but having taken part in the ML comp last Sunday, feel that this would work.

Looking forward to getting my timekeeper back soon, when the doctors have finished with him, and giving this method a go. Thanks for your help, I did understand what you wrote and it worked in the comp at the Lawford field.

Best regards,

Jef