F3J Plans

timboiow

Gents,Other than the commercial moulded offerings (Shadows, Explorers, Tragis etc) are there any plans out there for capable F3J gliders?? - In the past there were quite a few plans available Fendon, Multi-phase, Ro17V, Proton, etc. but recently i've seen very few new offerings. Its allways interesting to look at how other people are solving similar problems, and the building side of the hobby i still find interesting.CheersTim 

• Administrators

The last really competitive built up F3J model was the Eliminator and there are a few plans floating about. Trouble is nowdays it would be of little use due to the way F3J has progressed to quicker launches and more accurate landings. The Eliminator had no flaps so the chances of getting very near to the spot would be limited.Moulded models is the only way now if you want to be competitive. If your in it for the fun there is no reason you can't use older designs.

Austin,Thanks for the reply, the eliminator was a good machine in the day, i remember John Stevens doing a 3 second launch at Radioglide and almost getting away from fairly low level. I love the idea of moulded, but the cost is still a factor ( a young ish family swallows any spare cash (modelling budget) at a truly horrific rate) and the building side ofthe hobby i used to enjoy so i was hoping to try and build a suitable model for a bit of F3J fun, using good old kitchen table technology (with a bit of carbon thrown in). With a bit of luck it will appear sometime in the next couple of years (if i start with the latest info i should have something ready for classic class by the time its finshed!). If it progresses i'll try and post some pictures.....no laughing at the back!!

I wouldn't be laughing Timbo, I like the old ones as well!! Perhaps what you are describing is more Open class type gliders that could be flown in an F3J competition.I built and flew a Multi-Phase in last years Radioglide but only in the multi-launch event, I have the plan and I'm sure Chris Foss would gladly supply one. The foam wings were relatively expensive to have made but they were high quality. Barry at 'Foamwings' will have the cutting file saved.Another plan from yesteryear is Roger Pullen's 'Medicine Man', has a 12 ft span three piece wing with homemade airbrakes, all wood construction. I have the plan and the magazine (RCME?) with the build article, the plan is still available from myhobbystore.com. I half built one and it fell into the water tank in the loft, doh!!I'm also saving up for a 'mouldie', what worries me is that I would cry if I broke it!!CheersGary

Gary,Yes there are some leovely designs out there that would benefit from a structural rework (and perhaps the odd sectional tweak) with the materials available that would indeed give a really stylish open glider. I had a Phase Lift many years ago that died when the spar gave up at the top of the line, but the design with a stiffer spar/joiner set up and a four-servo wing (or the flaps from a fuse mounted servo and just wing servios for the ailerons) and get rid of the mass balanced rudder, would be a great looking glider - come to think of it the Top-phase would be a ideal for a tweak,...mmm.....now feel the need to dig out those old photos and see what old plans (probably on parchment) are in the filing cabinet......now if the phase lift fuse was shapped from blue foam and using the lost foam method...and a foam wing with carbon spar and 7/16th spring steel joiner.........best stop before i talk myself into building the thing laughing.gif

• 3 months later...
isoaritfirst

HAve you checked the prices of wood,ply,covering films and glue recently! Buy a second hand (possibly damaged) mouldie and repair it. Glass and epoxy may be a cheaper way to go, and the end results will be competitive. Not quite moulded but recently a FVK K2 was sold here for around £200. 6 servos could cost you that much..

Conwy Soarer,Hadn't found that site before, so Thanks...there looks to be some good stuff on here, not just for the F3J but for a host of other soaring disciplines....and those DLGs look nice too...i sense some building coming on shh.gif she thinks its something to do with the decorating and i don't like to correct her!