Sign in to follow this  
Gary B

Veron Vortex 100S

Gary B

Hi guys,I am coming close to the end of building a Veron Vortex, I would very much like to finish it as the prototype model with either original graphics or a copy of them.

Does anyone have a kit lurking in the loft that could help me out please? Just a scan would be marvellous.Cheers

Gary

picture%20151.jpg

copy%20of%20vortex%20advert.jpg

JG

Hello Gary looks like you have done another nice build there ... did you get the kit off Ebay as iv seen a few on there for sale.

Gary B

Hi JG, no I let someone else have that last one!! It went for £104.I have flown it now, just a couple of times, it's very nice.

Cheers Gary

JG

Any finished pictures Gary .... Think iv asked you before but where do you fly ?

Gary B

Bicester airfield, before and after the full-size operations, it's becoming a pain as I can't fly during the thermic periods.I'm chairman of the BMFA club that operates there, no problem for power or electric in the evenings apart from running out of daylight!!

I got a close copy of the original graphics made in the end, just some winged Veron logos to add that are coming from a friend.

Picture180.jpg

Gary B

Don't know where the extra image code is coming from in that last post, I tried to tidy it up but failed!! GB

Austin

Gary B said:

Don't know where the extra image code is coming from in that last post, I tried to tidy it up but failed!! GB
I fixed that for you Gary.

isoaritfirst

Thats a very pretty model Gary, that original style sticker sets it off a treat, looks worth the effort. Mike

Gary B

Cheers Mike,Still got the Veron logos to apply when they arrive (from a friend) and then I can probably call it finished!

Gary

Swalleau

That looks lovely Gary. :clap: I used to have one, a Christmas or Birthday present from my parents. They were great. Strong too, would roll and loop and do inverted if things got a bit too high :D .

The guy on the box top is a chap called Jim Saunders, he is still flying.

Phil Smith used to fly on the slopes near me too. Brings back memories of my early soaring experiences. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did mine. Iain

Gary B

Cheers Iain,

Crikey! Rolls and loops!! Not got that adventurous yet with mine!! I've hardly flown it to be honest. Seems to have been windier than usual this year?

Was given an MFA High Sierra a couple of days ago, complete with a pristine Futaba Attack 4 transmitter!! It needs some love and I was going to restore it but then I see that Sussex Model Centre are selling new kits, easier to start from scratch I think. MFA still seem to be trading but the glider is not shown on their website.

It's a 'tiddler' at 78"!!I've probably hit my limit for 100" floaters (Sunrise, Albatross, Cambrian Elan, Chieftain, Centi-Phase and the Vortex), a Medicine Man is on the building board. Might even move into the world of 'mouldies' soon!

Gary

Gary B

Meanwhile, three years later....!

A fellow UK modeller saw my appeal for graphics and has very kindly scanned the decals from his untouched kit, hoorah!!

The 'Veron', 'Vortex' and 'S100' seem to be all one decal as the backing can be seen in the scan, the words must have been cut and repositioned,  which is what I followed. The copy is close enough I think, not peeling them off now! Just needs the Veron wings.

Glider is alive and well, not flown much, must dig it out.

Cheers

Gary

img002-Copy_zpse765e6cf.jpg

Picture177_zpsdd02a50e.jpg

• Like 1

pete beadle

Hi Gary

Great to see your Vortex in "boxtop" covering scheme

I have two Vortexes (Vortices?) now, one in "boxtop" and one covered in Solartex which I'll be re-covering before Nostalgia Day, probably in dark blue Solarfilm or Profilm (Oracover)

Can I assure you that you are being very correct in being worried by attempting "high G" aerobatics with a VV......I've seen two that started by getting tip flutter and both ended up shedding both wings when the pilots applied "up" too sharply

You MUST cover the VV wings in something that adds torsional stiffness (heavyweight tissue, nylon, lightweight tissue with skinning resin "painted" on) if you want to chuck 'em about

In "normal" flight they are fine but their problem was that, from the start, they always LOOKED like they should be flown fast to match their racy looks - trouble was, they weren't strong enough to do that "as per their standard build"

As general, all-purpose 100 inchers they were (and are) fine - it's just when you try to race them you're getting into uncharted waters!

Best of luck with yours though, it sure looks the part!......

Pete

BARCS1702

Gary B

Cheers Pete,

I had some help from Colin Smith, wrote me a nice letter (doesn't do T'interweb).

He sent me an unpublished photo that was to be used for advertising, sorry about the pixellation. Said he had one in the loft with more span and a glow motor on the nose, built by Phil.

That Tx has too many sticks and buttons!!

The wing is certainly floppy in various directions, I've also left the joiners loose in the fuselage in case they bend. It gets launched on my thin amber surgical tubing bungee, just enough stretch to let the wind do the work. 

Still got the Medicine Man to finish (just covering) and then I'd like to build a new lighter fuselage for the Hi-Phase.

Vortexadvert_zpsb0a0fa1f.jpg

pete beadle

Hi Gary

Great pic

I think that, rather than making your Hi-Phase "non standard" I think you next project should be an Aquila Grande (or even an XC if you can get one)

With the high quality of your building you'll get a lot from that particular build....

If you know of an Aquila, Aquila Grande or XC anywhere drop me a line and I'll do it!

It's basically the only "ship" missing from my Ol'Timer cupboard that I need to "make up the set"

Keep up the good work!

Pete

BARCS1702

Gary B

The plan with the Hi-Phase was just to build up a new fuselage that came in to my hands, much lighter lay-up than my current one.

Could use servos half the size of the NES 591s that I'm using, plus if I put them in the right place it won't end up nose heavy!

Have a feeling that at the end the wing loading would be much the same though!

Yep, there are some wooden wonders out there for sure.

timboiow

Gary,I would recommend getting hold of a explorer plan (the Ray Cooper design) as I think with your build skills it would turn out a real treat for those that appreciate the workmanship. I have some old photos of Rays models and the finish is truly brilliant. (You can only see the scarf joints because the grain changes......I'll have to find those and scan em in. the Orbiter was equally impressive too. Looking forward to seeing the next build....keep up the good work.

Timbo

Gary B

Not heard of that one Timbo?

Don't know what the next project will be, got a few unfinished ones to complete first (so the Mrs reckons!!).