AlliaJ First thoughts.

isoaritfirst

isoaritfirst said:

Think in hindsight I should have stayed with the MKS units from T9. These MKS jobbies seem to be the Next Big Thing, but they are still really new, and haven't proven themselves over the kind of long-term usage that (for example) the tried and tested Futabas have..  I tend to be a bit conservative when it comes to servos, I like to see long-term feedback, rather than just really good paper specifications.

Guest Jon_s

I do have a box of old tungsten machine tools.There the carbite type, but still heavy, and would need a square tube. I got some tungsten for my extasy joiner, another 650g in there.As the model is so light, I tend to leave it in. J P.S like the look of the oval ballast tube for the labbiaj ;)

I'll try and get some photos for you - Gunga has the same mod as well.  Paul was very helpful and has made a good job of the install.  It also leaves plenty of room up front for the gear.  I will post my first impressions on the Alliaj in this thread soon. Simon

When you finally decide its too fugly and the wrong colour Mike give me a shout I'll give it a nice warm shed to live in :) Lee 

Lee Morgan said:

When you finally decide its too fugly and the wrong colour Mike give me a shout I'll give it a nice warm shed to live in :) Lee 
LOL, Lee, i know you like his pinky bits!

simon_t said: I will post my first impressions on the Alliaj in this thread soon.Simon Excellent, look forward to that! Love the look of the pinky Alliaj Mike, congrats on the purchase.... Greg

isoaritfirst

Cheers Simon, Still experimenting with the best way to post pics but my earlier ones in this thread I used PS to resize to 600 wide then saved at a reduced res to give the required numbers. The Pshop save dialogue give a simple slider to reduce quality and gives a read out by the side of the file size. I might try a little bigger next time.

With only 52Kb of photo to play with, the quality is never going to be that great - those two were 25Kb, at the next size up in iPhoto they were 66Kb, so too big.  I will have a play and see if i can get the quality up (on my Mac, so no photoshop), but I can email you direct if you want much higher quality versions (probably do that ayway) Simon

isoaritfirst

Greg Dakin said:

Love the look of the pinky Alliaj Mike, congrats on the purchase…. Greg Cheers Greg, PhilT has cristened itAlliBarbi J I like it, might just get some stickers made.

• Administrators

simon_t said:

With only 52Kb of photo to play with, the quality is never going to be that great - those two were 25Kb, at the next size up in iPhoto they were 66Kb, so too big.  I will have a play and see if i can get the quality up (on my Mac, so no photoshop), but I can email you direct if you want much higher quality versions (probably do that ayway) Simon
I have increased the size allowed to 250KB, that should help a bit for now.

• Administrators

isoaritfirst said:

Its great to have someone being so quick to respond Austin, great work. 
Cheers

Some quick thoughts on the Alliaj - more to follow:- The design is superb - very well thought out, but Aeromod's moulding quality is unacceptable in today's market - there really is no excuse for the fuselage halves to be displaced by over 1mm at the seam!  There is plenty of material though and it is a very strong model.  I did do some filling of moulding voids in the fuselage.- Paul Carrington's ballast system works very well, and gives a better servo layout.  He also puts in additional ply formers in the fuselage which double as accurate guides for the carbon pushrods- Didn't need much noseweight to balance.  The fuselage is pretty light but strong, and 2.4GHz friendly- I used MKS 6125s on the ailerons - as there are stiffening ribs around the servo bay you have to saw off the bottom tab from the metal case - it is not a problem for a secure servo fit.  These are great servos, and much better than the DS3288s in my opinion, but stay with 4 cell packs for them.  I used Sanwa (Airtronics 768s) for the flap servos, as I had them lying around - 6125s would have been fine also.- Unlike normal mouldies which have a clear epoxy skin, not affected by most solvents (such as meths, IsoProp...) the Alliaj just seems to have been painted in the mould with a soft, acrylic paint, which is affected by solvents - need to be careful!]- Mouldies always fly straight out of the hand, often without an trims being required - Not the Alliaj!  Mine reared up quite badly, and I ended up with a millimetre or two of down on the elevators- The handling is excellent.  It is a great model to fly and I can forgive its build quality because of that.  It is naturally very fast, yet climbs like a thermal soarer.  It is very quiet at speed - I don't know anything else out there as quiet.- The Crow brakes are very powerful.  It is an extremely easy model to land, and the strong build and quick handling gives you confidence in putting down on the slope in windy conditions.I had a 3 or 4 flights before the first competition, last Sunday's KPT.  I made slight changes to the elevator response after first flight, but have not so far found anything else to adjust since then.  I flew it for the first half of the competition, winning the majority of rounds it flew.  It is an impressive performer.- As expected, it likes to be flown heavy, yet still climbs well.  This is particularly helpful in crosswind competition conditions. In summary, if you can get over the 'pride of ownership' aspects of build quality, it is a very good F3X model that is truly optimised for F3F, unlike most of the models we fly in F3F.  So far I am very satisfied. Simon