AlliaJ First thoughts.

isoaritfirst

Gunga said:

Apparently it takes 2000 turns before you are proficient in the style  surprise.gif
Please just promise you wont post videos of doing that angry.gif.....

isoaritfirst

But we need the video and in slow mo, and a full and frank discussion on each and every aspect of each and every turn....

isoaritfirst said:

Just finished polishing with the recommended resin polish and a top coat of a sealing polish - looks much nicer now. smile.gif Just can't pick it up any more.  grin.gif 
 I'm pleased that its worked out Mike - the resin polish seems to interact with the paint and harden / polish the surface doesn't it - very peculiar! Greg

I found the Autoglym resin polish at my supermarket tonight, and at a good price of 9€ for 325cl.Greg, any advices to apply it ? I also took make up remover coton grin.gif. My wife was lauthing laughing.gif when I asked her some advise about what to take … Thanks in advance, Pierre

prondel said:

I found the Autoglym resin polish at my supermarket tonight, and at a good price of 9€ for 325cl.Greg, any tips to apply it ? I also took make up remover coton grin.gif. My wife was lauthing laughing.gif when I asked her some advise about what to take ... Thanks in advance, Pierre
 Hi Pierre, The polish is not too difficult to apply, and doesn't require a lot of energy (thankfully) to generate good results. I would recommend that you use two soft cotton cloths, one to apply the resin and one to polish. Ideally, you need two to three coats. From memory, I applied each coat and left to dry, before polishing. Works great on the Alliaj fuse too...As a slight aside, the resin is also really good for polishing out light scratches on clear moulded canopies too - the key benefit being that the resin does not scratch the surface in the same way that T-Cut does. Cheers Greg

Phil.Taylor

isoaritfirst said:

Greg tells me that http://www.autoglym.com/enGB/p.....p?v06VQ=HDAutoglym resin polish is the stuff for finishing the paint to a nice shine and removing the stickyness.I will report back later. 
LOL – thats the polish I use for my car (doesnt happen often though)and yes, it does cover over fine scratches very nicelynot tried it on a plane yet – but I will now!Phil.

isoaritfirst

Just noticed the thumbs up/down on the top of the threads so I tried it and have awarded myself a +1   Because I'm worth it 

I also did the same, rolling.gif        So i added a thumbs up to make yours 2 cool.gif                                                                Bob

Greg Dakin said:

Ideally, you need two to three coats. From memory, I applied each coat and left to dry, before polishing. Works great on the Alliaj fuse too... 
Thnks Greg !Just one question: Do you mean that you apply first 2 to 3 coats, let dry the 3 coats, then only polish, or do you polish between each coat ? Pierre

prondel said:

Greg Dakin said:

Ideally, you need two to three coats. From memory, I applied each coat and left to dry, before polishing. Works great on the Alliaj fuse too... 
Thnks Greg !Just one question: Do you mean that you apply first 2 to 3 coats, let dry the 3 coats, then only polish, or do you polish between each coat ? Pierre

Hi Pierre, I polished between each coat. regards, Greg

Another 25 minutes this evening with the Alliaj on the 70' coastal cliff at Beltinge.  And quite a few more turns towards the magic 2000!  Wind 6-7 m/s.  1.5Kg Ballast (I was too lazy to take out the ballast left in the other night), total weight about 4Kg.  The lightish wind made it easy to compare techniques and feel out the best height to turn.  It also made it easier to turn back in towards myself and get close in to the sharp edge of the slope.  From model 'noise' only I was able to hear it was going faster across the middle with an EM style than flown conventionally.  Not much, but certainly the effect was there.  Would probably not have given a faster F3F time had a course been rigged, due to the distance flown around the turns, but interesting nonetheless.  Still a longer way to go and a lot of practice ahead, although the wind is rarely on this slope, so it might be a month or more before I get to practice here again  Simon

isoaritfirst

Decision is made and some work has taken place. I have decided to stay with the standard fuselage layout, for a couple of reasons. 1. I am concerned about removal of the existing ballast tube creating damage to the fus side.2. With the standard, inverted servo arrangement the front boat has plenty of room for a large Life battery. With LiFe fast V drop off I  wanted to be running with the largest pack I could fit in.3. I can get 900g of lead in the ballast tube, and if I can get hold of some Tungsten this will go up to 1.4kg.4 If I decide that I do need more then I can still remove the existing ballast tube and make a central tube as per RichB's.

isoaritfirst

more details posted into the  RC equipment thread under MPX connector install thread.

Edited by isoaritfirst

I had a cracking time last evening with the Alliaj at Beltinge, my local low cliff site.  Full ballast, plenty of breeze, just what the Alliaj loves.  It has to be the best flying F3X glider I have owned, managing to be very responsive (twice the roll rate of a Ceres) and yet not at all twitchy.  The height attained on the half pipes was huge, and with it's responsive controls it is easy to bring it in vertically and accurately hit the compression zone on every pass along the cliff edge.

isoaritfirst

Mine is programmed up and ready to fly.. Have you stayed with Alexi's set up Simon? My build has currently less available up going flap surface so my flap as aileron movement is more like 5mm up max.But otherwise all my settings are as per.

isoaritfirst

Bit of an Ugly Betty rather than Barbi.Bit unsatisfying to build.Not very refined.I did try finishing school but despite my best efforts she’s still a bit mucky and prone to spots. But I did fancy a bit of rough. And Boy what a ride!.... 2 hours of poking her along the edge despite  some very unhelpful wind coming from the wrong place. Sometimes banging at both ends, sometimes rolling over softly but always very responsive to all the twiddly bits. The sweet spot is big and easy to find allowing for massive G that can be held onto as you haul ass through a 180. Release the G just at the right time for a ride that just continues to built as the round progresses. Despite this high energy action she is never screaming, always controlled and silent and happy to repay you for careful handling Flighty, impulsive, responsive, and even Refined in its actions. Alli-BarbiJ  = It's not for Girls! Love it