AlliaJ First thoughts.

isoaritfirst

isoaritfirst

First thoughts and as to why;I have fancied an Alliaj HM for around 12mths but found it difficult to get over the poor cosmetic finish on the model. It is a long way removed from models like my FS3 or Cyril in the looks dept.But my mind was set at the recent Laurac French comp I visited when the conditions were rough and the landings rougher.In conditions like these a model that can carry lots of ballast was useful, but so was one that could safely land in a rough field while carrying a lot of ballast. The Alliaj HM does full fill both of those roles very well.There is also a side of me that really wants the challenge of learning the Energy management style of flying that seems to pay dividends on some style of slopes, and the Alliaj was designed for this task. So its going to be an interesting journey. Can I live with its looks - well if it performs well I imagine I can - Time will tell.

Hi Mike, Have you decided on servos etc and did you go for the ballast tube upgrade to get the extra ballast weight?

Good call about the heavy model and rough landing. As great as models like the FS3 are they are not all about ploughed fields and heavy landings. What servos are you putting in?  Time to ditch them slow old futabas I reckon ;)

Guest Jon_s

No matter what colour this bird is, its still Ugly.But you cannot deny the speed of the model and the comps that it has won. Seeing Lord Dakins go at the Crest in April, wow, wow and more wow. Will be good to see them all at one race being ragged.A good session on the wrecker or crest again please Mr Weather.J

isoaritfirst

I have ordered these Sanwa High voltage servos http://www.rc-mushroom.com/pro.....s_id=21691 but just had to pay inport taxes and handling amounting to £31 and with the carriage from HK as well, they have worked out around £54 each. Think in hindsight I should have stayed with the MKS units from T9.Although these have the advantage of being happy on the Life cells I intend to run unregulated. If it will fit I have a Hyperion 2100 2s pack ref HP-FG305.http://www.aerobuddies.co.uk/p.....cts_id=182

isoaritfirst

Martin_N said:

Hi Mike, Have you decided on servos etc and did you go for the ballast tube upgrade to get the extra ballast weight?
What ballast tube upgrade, I think its a case of roll your own.Although I do have some titanium slugs on route as well so original 20mm tube should be ok. But will assess when it all gets here.

Adam Richardson

i think you have made the rite decision on the servos mike. Like you say, you won't need the added hastle of a regulator and the gear train should in theory be stronger than the thinner wing servos. Shame you got stung on import tax etc. Like I said I have used Rc-mushroom for many years now and have never been charged.

isoaritfirst said:

Martin_N said:

What ballast tube upgrade, I think its a case of roll your own.Although I do have some titanium slugs on route as well so original 20mm tube should be ok. But will assess when it all gets here.

Talk to T9, you can get an oval shaped ballast tube made and fitted.

If you already have titanium slugs on the way I doubt you will need the oval ballast tube for the fuz.  But it may be worth giving it consideration.

isoaritfirst said:

Martin_N said:

Paul Carrington is offering an uprated ballast tube (oval) install and ballast at a very reasonable price.  Allows 1.8Kg in the fuz, is easier to load, and puts the servos in a much better place than stock.  PM me if you want a contact number/email Simon

isoaritfirst

Must have a close looksee at yours and Richards over the weekend and make a decision which way to go. cheersMike