isoaritfirst

AlliaJ First thoughts.

Scott Ravenscroft

Im hoping to have a closer look at one this weekend if anyone will let me, im considering, maybe purchasing, oh I dont know, theres to many on my buy list.

prondel

Hello to the Alliaj HM's fans wink.gif !You will find some information here: http://pierre.rondel.free.fr/i...../AlliajHM/I agree 200% with Simon thoughts about the kit and the plane.FYI, Alexis Marechal won the 2011 french championship with his Alliaj. I'm second, very close to him, with my Vampire.The Alliaj was the most represented plane in the competition, followed by the vampire and the freestyler 3.Cheers,Pierre

Scott Ravenscroft

As always Mr Rondel, very informative.smile.gif

simon_t

Scott Ravenscroft said:

Im hoping to have a closer look at one this weekend if anyone will let me, im considering, maybe purchasing, oh I dont know, theres to many on my buy list.
Don't look too closely!  Best viewed from a distance, particularly when at speed on an F3F course  Simon

isoaritfirst

I agree, I looked at Pierre's 18months ago and it delayed my purchase until now....  But it is strong, different/interesting and fast.  And my eyesight isn't as good as it used to be, so it will be fine.

Peter G

I finally started to click with mine in Norway on a low coastal slope flying the dynamic style. But it took a while to work it out. As someone who normally flies full (or 3/4) reversal  turns I found the Alliaj felt pretty soft on elevator with this style of turn. Without the same the 'bite' or 'ping' as my other models it wasn't very rewarding flown that way. However, with some tweaking of set up (lots of snap flap) and major adjustments to my flying stlye it is very rewarding in a carved horizontal/dynamic turn  I think it possibly has an edge in light conditions where it can carry some weight and everyone is forced to turn pretty flat. Like any other F3X model you can over do it with the ballast and sacrifice agility on the course. Enjoying learning about this one, definately effective on low slopes. 

RustyKnee

Hi Simon, Did you use the full fat 6125 or the minis?Just wondering if the minis would have saved lopping the tabs off and if you think the minis aren't man enough. I have some minis to go in a Ceres....got me worried :). Although they have more (spec) torque than the s3150...so not that worried. Cheers, Stu

simon_t

Stu,I used the minis, but still had to cut the bottom lug off for the Alliaj. You will probably be ok in the Ceres. There is plenty of power in the minis. They will be superb in a CeresSimon

RustyKnee

thanks Simon.

isoaritfirst

Right - picked up my AlliBArbiJ from Richard earlier, its much lighter than I would have expected, and stiff with it.  The fit & finish is "French", very much designed to be used rather than fondled, but it is better than some I have seen, so no complaints. The paint feels soft, almost sticky perhaps this will improve in a few weeks time as the model is only a few weeks old.  It comes with all the required bits and bobs, although ballast & bags are at extra cost. Hopefully the build will be pretty quick, looking forward to getting this beast in the air..

Lee Morgan

ok ready for me at christmas then mike :)

Andy_B

he says its very very very Pink .....no half measures rolling.gif

simon_t

In the end I didn't get to fly my Alliaj at the Nats - too little practice with it, and as the wind was fairly light when we started the Fosa seemed the better option.  I did get to see Mike's pink version before the comp, and I look forward to seeing him fly it soon, as it might well suit his style.Rich Bago, Greg Dakin and Pete Gunning did fly their Alliaj's, although Pete reverted to his Cyril after a couple of rounds (and got fastest time of the day in with the Cyril).  Rich Bago had a radio issue with his - which gave him marginal control, after which he switched to the Martinet.  Greg flew his throughout, winning one round in impressive style.  It requires balls of steel to fly the dynamic style to its full, and Greg is as close as anyone in the UK to cracking it. Simon

isoaritfirst

Greg tells me that http://www.autoglym.com/enGB/p.....p?v06VQ=HD Autoglym resin polish is the stuff for finishing the paint to a nice shine and removing the stickyness. I will report back later.

Sloper

simon_t said:

Rich Bago had a radio issue with his - which gave him marginal control, after which he switched to the Martinet. 
Yes i was lucky! i had loose plug on the loom side to the servo, it nearly cost me the model as the aileron was stuck in the down position.I found the Alliaj was flying well but i wasnt! i cut in 2 rounds and when i cut , i was not mentaly prepared for cut recover on a dynamic style turn so made a complete doh.gif of it. 

simon_t

t9hobbysport said:

Yes i was lucky! i had loose plug on the loom side to the servo, it nearly cost me the model as the aileron was stuck in the down position.I found the Alliaj was flying well but i wasnt! i cut in 2 rounds and when i cut , i was not mentaly prepared for cut recover on a dynamic style turn so made a complete  of it. 
I once had a loom plug at the Rx pull out slightly, leaving the signal and positive leads connecting, but not the negative.  Losing the negative caused the servo to go hard over to one endstop, whereas losing either of the other wires just causes the servo to stop where it was. Glad that you were able to get it down OK. Simon

isoaritfirst

Just finished polishing with the recommended resin polish and a top coat of a sealing polish - looks much nicer now.  Just can't pick it up any more.   

Peter G

Will have to try that posh polish. Need to change my car soon too so it will come in handy...Having flown one round with my Alliaj at the Bwlch I am realising that there is a difference between the dynamic style that I had achieved in Norway which was definately an all round better turn for all models on that low slope.And the total positive G dynamic style being practiced by Lukas Gaubatz and Stefan Holbfer. This is ultimately what the dynamic style is all about, getting the model to 'push' against the air in positive G all the way round al 10 legs. However, it is tremendously difficult and requires a totally intuitive feel for the model and the air. It is probably easier on low slopes where the lift is at a more horizontal angle than at the Bwlch where it is pretty much vertical but the Austrians appear to be proving that it is possible on any hill The Alliaj is a natural at that style though.Apparently it takes 2000 turns before you are proficient in the style but when you get there you can be achieving a steady 160mph in 30mph winds

isoaritfirst

40 sec for 10 turns = 8000 sec for 2000 8000/3600 = 2.5 hours. think I'll knock them off this weekend.

simon_t

I got a few in this evening with my Alliaj in a stiff breeze on the 80' coastal cliffs near me.  The pumping was fantastic, but in the rather crossed conditions I can't say I could really get the turn working for me.  Much more practice needed. Simon