Sign in to follow this  
simon_t

Baudis Fosa

simon_t

Coming soon - my initial thoughts about the Fosa as an F3F model Simon

jiberjaber

Cant wait... does it come with orange circles for teh traditional Thornton scheme? :)

Skip

no Jason, it comes with big, bright, freshly polished Golden Balls smug.gif

Martin_N

100_0995.JPG

100_0997.JPG 

He is something to wet your appetite whilst you’re waiting

simon_t

jiberjaber said:

Cant wait... does it come with orange circles for teh traditional Thornton scheme? :)
Have a look in Skip's (Clayton's) video thread  Simon

isoaritfirst

Very nice Martin, Jiri certainly does a great job with his stuff.

Martin_N

The fosa is certainly a lovely piece of work Mike and my first Baudis model, sadly I haven't had enough stick time to really work the settings out as much as Simon. Im hoping to get a little more time tomorrow in Wales to play with the settings.My prefence will be more for flat field flying, although watching Simon fly his on the slope, has made me want to keep my options open. Thanks Martin

jiberjaber

simon_t said:

jiberjaber said:

Cant wait… does it come with orange circles for teh traditional Thornton scheme?
:)
Have a look in Skip's (Clayton's) video thread 
drooling.gif
 Simon

Couldnt find the vid Si, though I did come across that full size slope soaring one on there…. WOW!…Clay – is it the HOH one?

jiberjaber

This section, F3F videos thread, post 6 - Fosa: http://www.barcs.co.uk/forum/f.....f3f-videos 

Simon

Ah Yes – now I see, I was looking in the video thread on the other forum!  Looks great clap.gif Was it me or did it appear to slow down on the last 3 laps?

Skip

I found that to be a really good visual and audible example of thermal effect on an F3F run. The thermal air passed through mid way leaving the Fosa to manage the energy it had without being able to really gain any.

simon_t

A couple of my Fosa photos (just to keep Jason happy):

Simon

IMG_4137c.jpg 

IMG_4139c.jpg 

simon_t

I have now had a chance to try the Fosa in two modes - F3F and now today on the flat from the winch.  Up until today, I had only a couple of short slope sessions to set up the Fosa prior to two F3F competitions, the SWSA Ken Phillips Trophy, and last week's BMFA F3F Nationals.  For the first practice session I went to a local coastal site, Botany Bay, which is a 30' chalk cliff.  It was fairly breezy, and for comparison I initially flew one of my Ceres, to see what speed I could get and how high could I pump it.  

Then the Fosa, again pumping and looking at the passing speed.  I was on my own, so no speed measurements could be made, but I could see no difference in out-and-out speed or the pump height.  This was good, as the Ceres is one of the fastest models out there, and if the Fosa matches that in a straight line, the high aspect ratio should give it a superior turn rate.  I wasn't quite happy with the differential, but that would have to wait for another time. With its nasty rotor, Botany Bay is not a place to have lots of short flights whilst you tweak!   

A second session at Folkestone saw four short flights, and I had settings that felt close enough - I would tweak any further at the KPT.   For the KPT I had decided to fly my Alliaj for the first half and the Fosa for the second.  The Alliaj went very well, winning most of the rounds it was used for, so I was slightly apprehensive to switch to the Fosa.  I shouldn't have worried, as although it has a very different feel and style, it went very well, and certainly took it's fair share of my win at the KPT, as the Fosa ended up doing more rounds than the Alliaj.On to the Nats, and with no flying on the first day, and light conditions on the second, I decided on the Fosa rather than the Alliaj, and stuck with it for all 8 rounds.  

I only won one round, but the model consistently put in fast times (apart from one round in poor air which was already slow when I also cut crying.gif.  However it was good enough to give a win - Not bad for a new model, two wins on it's first two outings. In my next post I will give you my F3F thoughts. Simon

simon_t

Firstly as an F3F model: This is not a slow model, in spite of some peoples early thoughts that a higher aspect ratio model will be slower than a lower A/R one.  This model seems to have the speed of the Ceres between the poles, but a much tighter turn once you get there.  It tracks very well, better I think than the Ceres.  

The RDS ailerons are excellent - The roll rate is crisp and feels better than the Ceres.  I am using Graupner DS 3288s, but I might investigate whether MKS 6125 minis will fit to fix the relatively poor centring of 3288s, although it is not noticeable in flight so far.  The long wings and fuselage make it a bit gangly in the air.  As always, careful setting up of aileron differential and rudder mixes is needed to ensure that there is no fishtailing coming out of the turns.  I have set the CG at 98mm, and not touched it yet.  It might be possible to move it a mm or two, but it seems to work where it is.The ballast system is good, particularly if you are able to set the wing ballast for the rest of the day.  

There is enough fuselage capacity to quickly fine tune the required ballast.  The model seems to like plenty of ballast and carries it well.  The model climbs well from launch, and is agile enough to use the 'pumping' technique to gain energy prior to entering the course.  I have not tried EM turns with it yet, but I see no reason why it shouldn't be very good using this style.The fuselage and wings are noticeably stiffer than the already very stiff Ceres.  

This bodes well for very fast runs where fuselage bending can start to washout the elevator response.I have not flown it in a wide enough range of conditions yet, but for all the conditions so far it works very well.  I guess the acid test is how well it does against the Freestyler, which has shown itself to be probably the finest all round F3F model of late, with a number of the top boys campaigning them.  I think the Fosa has what it takes to at least equal the FS, maybe beat its performance. Simon

Phil.Taylor

Simon – your Fosa looked very impresssive at the KPTfast, and turned very tight - different "sound" toovery different animal to the Alliaj Phil.

Bobbyr

Personally ,              and i dont want to upset anyone ,  The Fosa was stunning to watch , it looked fast , it also looked smoother all round than when you was flying the Alliaj .                                  Now that may be because your Fosa is set up better . But if i was in the market for either , on the basis of what ive seen , i would'nt hesitate on buying the Fosa over the Alliaj .                         In fact i think alot of people are going to be feeling a bit gutted when your Fosa creams the competition mate,              but i have only seen you fly both in moderate conditions , Maybe the Alliaj has its strengths , but i didnt see them .                                           Bob

isoaritfirst

Seen lots of Alliaj's fly Bob - I don't think anyone that has one will be loosing too much sleep worrying if they are competitive.  Next to the FS3 it has a very enviable reputation.  Fosa is a nicer finished model though by some margin. But harder to repair with duct tape and tar. I would be happy with either both are great models..

Bobbyr

Please dont take offence Mike,doh.gif              Simon flew both at the KPT and hand on my heart there wasnt any comparison with the fosa, it was slick to say the least ,         To me (an F3F novice) the Fosa just pumped up and ripped in a different style, as i said the alliaj was probably not as well set up ,            I would Love Either , but at that time i would have bought the Fosa blush.gif                     Bob

isoaritfirst

I wasn't Bob, no need to worry, I was just saying one swallow doesn't make a summer, or something like that.