Slope and DS videos

Skip

slope_dragon_x

Last year I got interested in the keyfob cameras that were all the rage and tried one out, taped to my Skorp DSL.

A fast fly over saw the camera and model part company near the edge of the slope and I decided to keep my attention on the Skorp.  An hour of searching revealed no keyfob - it was like looking for a needle in a haystack.  I was rather unhappy to leave some debris on the hillside but that was that.  I ordered another keyfob from HK, but lost interest and let it gather dust on the shelf.

My interest was reawakened following a trip to the Lleyn a few weeks ago where a friend took some aerial video on a Muvi Atom.  I looked up the video specs. for the Muvi Atom, but I'm not sure that they're any better than the keyfob.

So this week the keyfob was dusted down and taped (securely) to my Easy Glider Pro and taken to the local pimple for some evening soaring.  See what you think, the video quality looks pretty good to me.  Not sure that I can justify the GoPro; dash.

Of course it is aerial footage, so you have been warned, but I have at least kept it relatively short.

That's very good quality!  I think I have to finally get one..  which is THE one to get now?

Lol, me neither.. 

BUT, I need to do some short video of doing VTPR with the Multifun, I want to put up some posts saying how good it is for that... 

And maybe enter Steve's SlopeAerobatics contest.. 

NO ON-BOARD VIDEO WILL BE SHOT!

slope_dragon_x

Woodstock said:

That's very good quality!  I think I have to finally get one..  which is THE one to get now?

It was lucky guess for me Chris.I just picked out one like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-H808Ca.....230d442d87

I seem to remember that some thought that camera #2 was best, but I think it's just that the quality varies from keyfob to keyfob.  Just buy the cheapest - that way you can't really go wrong.

Best 1 to get for you is the #11 version ,                    

Its hi def to 720p , and comes with a handy velcro pad, you put 1 bit on your cap Peak , and the other on the camera , works well with nice picture quality 

It would be better for you because you would be close in ,                                 Bob p.s its about £25 , and then you have to buy a Micros SD card , about another £5

slope_dragon_x

Good to hear that there are a few people out there who can remember what's what with key fob cameras.

The info given by others has prompted me to do a bit more research.

The camera used in my clip is model 808 (same as #3 I think), which has a video format of 720x480. The cameras are typically less than 10 quid, like here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MicroSD-.....256535e2ad this one sourced from the UK.

The #11 cameras have a higher video format of 1280x720 but are typically about 25 quid sourced from HK - this one is even creatively marketed for glider use http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/11-HD-Ca.....2564e1e062

Bobbyr said:

Best 1 to get for you is the #11 version ,                     Its hi def to 720p , and comes with a handy velcro pad, you put 1 bit on your cap Peak , and the other on the camera , works well with nice picture quality                It wouldbe better for you because you would be close in ,                                 Bob p.s its about £25 , and then you have to buy a Micros SD card , about another £5
Hey Bob, didn't mean to seem rude by ignoring you, your post came through as I was still typing mine ...

Gonesoaring2003

Hi PhilGlad to see all that hard work paid off, wheres that slope - looks like good lift and good LZ too.

Alex 

Phil.Taylor

Gonesoaring2003 said:

Hi PhilGlad to see all that hard work paid off, wheres that slope - looks like good lift and good LZ too.Alex

Alex - its my local slope here in East Devon - just 2 miles from my house :) Phil.

Myself and Adam have been dreaming …………..no not together…!! what do you spend all that DS money on then

:huh:

Phil.Taylor

very nice, very... realI reckon you two should just buy shares in a full-size & get bungeed off the Myndbut you cant do/see this off the Mynd

(thought we needed that one here)

Phil.

conwy soarer

A bit off topic but watching those cracking full size ridge soaring vids esp the ones from the Devon & SOmerset club a question:

Has anyone ever seen evidence or heard about a person DSing a full size glider?

slope_dragon_x

Full size gliders are regularly DS'd by circling in and out of the shear layer at the edge of a thermal.Not to 500mph though.I regularly DS thermal columns at the slope.Again not to 500mph.  But it is a way of getting energy into the model when every one else is stooging or sedately rising in the thermal.

Phil.Taylor

conwy soarer said:

A bit off topic but watching those cracking full size ridge soaring vids esp the ones from the Devon & SOmerset club a question: Has anyone ever seen evidence or heard about a person DSing a full size glider?

bit of googling found this:http://www.dtic.mil/docs/citat...../ADA461327

NASA are interested / have been involved - found other references to this too

so yes, but its not going-round-in-circles DS on the "darkside" as we know it - seems more like DS of other atmospheric shear layers (flatland DS?)

(might be better to move this stuff to another thread, rather than cluttering up the videos thread?)

Phil.