Nan Models OMEGA 2m

PeteMitchell

• Committee Member
PeteMitchell

I first saw this glider last year, when Acemodel showed me an early pre- production model.

This first model was slightly over 2m wing span, which made it too big for that competition class, but I was assured that work was already in hand to produce new moulds for a 2m wing so I placed my order.

My model arrived a few weeks ago and I am absolutely delighted with it. The airframe moulding is well up to Nan’s usual high standard, and very little work is required to get the model ready to fly.

The total weight of all components as I got them is 707grm and I measured the wing area to be approx 31.9dm2 ( 500sq.inch) which showed that it would be important to keep the total ready to fly weight as low as possible.

I decided on a Hyperion DS09AMD servos for the ailerons, Hitec HS65MG for flaps and Hitec HS65HB’s for Rud/Elv. My motor is a Hyperion GS2218-12 with a 3s x 1250 lipo turning a 12.5 x 6prop.The motor easily fits inside the fuselage, but it is an outrunner and care is required to keep wires from touching the motor can. Some people glue the wires to the fus. wall, I insert a thin rigid piece of mylar between the wires and the can. It seems to work OK.

To keep the model tail end as light as I could, I fixed the rudder/elev. servos as far forward as possible. These are screwedto a thin ply plate which I shaped and located under the wing immediately aft of the wing joiner. Access is via a hatch in the fuselage underside. Although it was not at all necessary, I decided to replace the steel rudder pushrod with a carbon fibre rod of the same dia. This only saved only about 7grm in weight, but it helped a lot when balancing the model.

Wing servos were all epoxied in place after each servo had its mounting lugs removed. Before gluing the servos were heatshrink wrapped, and the heatshrink surface to be glued was abraded to make a good key. Wiring looms were made up with lightweight servo wire and small 4 pin Deans plugs supplied by Robotbirds.

Brass horns,steel clevis and threaded pushrods are supplied with the model and are perfectly suitable but do need some work to make them fit. However, to my eye the horns were just too long and needed more work than I was able to do, so I contacted Graham Wicks at RCMetalbitz and he was able to supply me with much shorter horns which are ideal. Clevises also needed a lot of grinding to make them less bulky, but this made the finished job much better to my eye, maybe even reduced drag slightly.

With everything in place my model weighed 1050grm ready to fly and balanced at 80mm back from the leading edge. This resulted in a wing loading of about 32/33g/dm2 (10.8oz.sq.ft), along with a high-ish wing aspect ratio I thought it would begood.First flights were in very good conditions and showed just how good the model was. I gradually moved the balance point back because at 80mm back it felt nose heavy,finally ending up at 84mm.

I have now also flown the model in poor conditions, very windy and not much, if any lift, at the last Bartletts Leaguecompetition. Again the Omega performed very well, it showed a surprising speed range and coped easily withthe dreaded Westerly wind direction which give’s very blustery landing conditions at this comp site. Flight times that day were for most very low, and a good landing score was essential.

The Omega is very easy to land accurately and it was this that won the comp for me. Not bad for a brand new model on its second, outing at its first comp. :) :D

• 9 months later...
  • Committee Member
PeteMitchell

I really like it, but it needs some work to make it a good thermal plane.

In wind it is very good, but for normal conditions up to about 15mph wind it needs to be lighter as it has quite small wing area with a high wing loading.

The easiest way to reduce the weight is to use a smaller lipo and I now use a 3s-850 thunder power. But to get the balance right I had to make a new tailplane lighter than the supplied one. The one I made is exactly the same size as the supplied one and is 15/18g lighter. Not much but it helps saving more weight up front.

My model now weighs 950g.and is even better for thermal soaring comps.